White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2014, 09:25 PM
New At WSI

Default Will Pitching be an Issue?

The Sox gained a lot of hitting over the past year. But they gave up a lot of pitching to do it.
Losses:
CL Addison Reed
SP Jake Peavy
SP Gavin Floyd
SP Hector Santiago
SU Jesse Crain
MR Matt Thornton
These players are decent and most helped the team a lot during the 2013 season.
Here's the current rotation
1. Sale
2. Danks
3. Quintana
4. Paulino
5. Johnson
RP Downs
RP Veal
RP Belisairo
SU/CL Lindstrom
SU/CL Jones

The bullpen looks below average right now. These pitchers need to step up. Do you guys think pitching may be an issue?

Last edited by soxfan2000; 03-24-2014 at 09:22 PM. Reason: I forgot to add Peavy!
Old 03-23-2014, 09:45 PM
WSI High Priest

You forgot Peavy
Old 03-23-2014, 09:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Could be. Thin in the rotation. Pen is a little iffy in terms of high quality.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:18 PM
WSI Personality

I think we're going to be below average this season, but I'm not too worried about it. We aren't going to be world-beaters this season anyway, but if we can get good years out of Quintana and Danks then we are set 1-3 through 2016 with payroll to spare for the next two pieces. That's a big if, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

As far as the bullpen is concerned, I know the whole coop'll fix'em thing is a bit tired, but we have a good pitching coach so I think we'll be fine going forward. This year will probably be an exception, but we have had an above average pen season after season with a rotating cast. Most of baseball has a rotating cast in the pen, anyway.

If we can get 2 big bats in the lineup, the rest of our lineup (catcher aside) is capable of league average hitting. Hopefully, we have one of those bats in Abreu. A slightly above average lineup coupled with a good staff is a good bet, and I don't think we're THAT far off.

Edit-I forgot to mention I'm optimistic on Erik Johnson as well.

Last edited by MISoxfan; 03-24-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

If Danks is back to previous form, and it looks like that might be the case, the rotation could be decent. Definitely lost a lot of arms, Paulino could be a disaster. If that's the case maybe Reinzo or Beck can step in in a couple months. Let's just hope Johnson pulls through. The bullpen is more troubling to me. Downs, Lindstrom and Jones make a strong core...of set up men. Push them into closing duty, it starts to look thin. I thought Webb could be a solid addition, but they aren't pitching him that much.

Last edited by TheVulture; 03-24-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:30 PM
WSI High Priest

It may be "spring training optmism"- but I really like 4/5's of our rotation- reports have been glowing about Danks and I really like Johnson as a RH work horse. If that comes thru- we will have a pretty cost effective starting rotation for the next few years.

For the bullpen- lack of a closer is a glaring hole right now- I think Downs will be an upgrade over Thornton from last year- but it's a mixed/unpredictable bag for sure.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 03-24-2014, 12:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quintana has worried me this spring but less so now. I dont see the Sox locking him up if there was a major problem with him. Pitchers havent come back well from the surgery Danks has had, so Im not counting on much from him. Johnson and Reinzo are crap shoots but very important in the future of the Sox starting staff. I dont think Paulino will be much. Sale is Sale.

I see very little in the relief staff except for Jones and Lindstrom. Lindstrom will be showcased for a mid year deal.

Johnson and Reinzo are the keys to any kind of success this year in my eyes.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Santiago and Crain are the only ones listed I didn't like losing, and Santiago brought us Eaton, so I'm not really upset about that. And bullpen arms are replaceable. The pitching may be a problem, but the guys we lost won't be the reason why.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
The pitching may be a problem, but the guys we lost won't be the reason why.
Seems like overall the batch replacing them constitutes a downgrade. Even if you score Johnson as an equivalent replacement of Peavy, and Downs an upgrade over Thornton. Reed, Craine, Santiago replaced by Belisario, Veal (or ?), and Paulino...unless I'm missing something, that's a pretty steep fall off. Kind of hard to pick up valuable pieces during a rebuild without falling off somewhere, though, might as well be the bullpen. Pretty much have to rebuild a bullpen constantly anyway. I think Hahn could have done better than Paulino for the rotation though. I hope I'm wrong, and Coop fixes him. Should be an interesting season at any rate.

Last edited by TheVulture; 03-24-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:41 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

David Schuster ‏@Schumouse
Rick Hahn says the Sox will likely draft a pitcher with the #3 pick in this year's draft

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan
Team in crosschecking phase on scouting the No . 3 pick. Sox will take best player available, but that will lIkely be a pitcher, Hahn said.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 03-31-2014, 11:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Yes, pitching is going to be a major issue this year. The starting rotation falls off a cliff after a great 1-2 in Sale and Quintana. Then you have a bullpen which recorded exactly one save in 2013.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:39 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Yes, pitching is going to be a major issue this year. The starting rotation falls off a cliff after a great 1-2 in Sale and Quintana. Then you have a bullpen which recorded exactly one save in 2013.
Coop will fix'em.

Anticipated next game: Unknown
Old 04-01-2014, 11:23 AM
WSI High Priest

Lindstrom as closer is going to make us pine for the good ole days of Addison Reed freaking us out every day.

Maybe Lindstrom will be better as a closer than other roles?...hope so.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:44 AM
WSI Personality

Default Time will tell

Definitely some questions about the pitching staff this year? Will Danks improve upon last year? Will Lindstrom be effective as the closer? Veal? downs?

We do have a few promising arms in the minors. Just have to wait and see.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Paulino & Johnson. I had never heard of them before the Sox named them starters.