White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2014, 03:01 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Dont be surprised when you see Lindstrom get a nice opportunity as closer. This would make him more valuable at the trade deadline.
My preference is to have Lindstrom close. Not sure the Sox see it that way, though. Of course, they have made no public statement on the closer situation as yet. Who knows?

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 03-24-2014, 03:01 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Dont be surprised when you see Lindstrom get a nice opportunity as closer. This would make him more valuable at the trade deadline.
I would doubt that, Lindstrom is going to be the middle-innings high leverage guy, that's where trade value comes from. Real life baseball scouts are not overly impressed with saves, it's by and large a meaningless stat, they're looking at stuff like Swing and Miss rates, high leverage stats, etc.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

I don't get the pessimism on Davidson here. He was expected, from the time he was traded for, to start the year in AAA. He is universally considered the Sox best prospect, and he hit well in the spring.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:50 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I would doubt that, Lindstrom is going to be the middle-innings high leverage guy, that's where trade value comes from. Real life baseball scouts are not overly impressed with saves, it's by and large a meaningless stat, they're looking at stuff like Swing and Miss rates, high leverage stats, etc.
Middle inning guys or set up guys have worth on competitive teams which I dont think the Sox will be. Thats why I see him closing.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:56 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Middle inning guys or set up guys have worth on competitive teams which I dont think the Sox will be. Thats why I see him closing.
Closers have no worth on bad teams, either.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:04 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Closers have no worth on bad teams, either.
I think more so than any other relief position.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck
I think more so than any other relief position.
The plan only works if you can find a rival GM to pay a premium for a largely superfluous stat. I give Rick Hahn a lot of credit for doing this once already with the Addison Reed trade, but I wouldn't count on lightning striking twice. Don't get me wrong, I would love it if we can become a closer grooming factory and flip young guys like Nate Jones (after this year) or Daniel Webb (a few years down the road) if they can duplicate Reed's success. As for Lindstrom, he is probably better off remaining in Jesse Crain's former role as the primary RH setup man. He's comfortable as a setup man, he will probably succeed barring injury, and that will keep his trade value high at the deadline.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:14 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
On the otherhand, it's not unprecedented for a real contending team to go after another team's closer to bring in as a set-up guy and emergency closer. The Brewers did that a couple of years back when they picked up KRod and already had Axford on his way to 40 saves. If you're going to try to showcase someone for mid-season trading, a closer's role isn't a bad way to do it.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 03-25-2014, 06:04 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
On the otherhand, it's not unprecedented for a real contending team to go after another team's closer to bring in as a set-up guy and emergency closer. The Brewers did that a couple of years back when they picked up KRod and already had Axford on his way to 40 saves. If you're going to try to showcase someone for mid-season trading, a closer's role isn't a bad way to do it.
Yeah, that is true, but I think the difference there is that K-Rod was already well established as an elite bullpen arm, it wouldn't have mattered where he pitched, everyone knew he was a premium talent.

But I do see your point and you are correct.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

I feel for this kid, I really do. However, from what he's shown me I don't think that Axelrod has any spot on a major league roster.

Probably why this tidbit made me so happy (I was fearing he might actually break camp with the team): "Reassigned RHP Dylan Axelrod to minor-league camp."

Is it wrong that this makes me happy, relieved even? I'm essentially reveling in another's misfortune...

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 03-25-2014, 01:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko
I feel for this kid, I really do. However, from what he's shown me I don't think that Axelrod has any spot on a major league roster.

Probably why this tidbit made me so happy (I was fearing he might actually break camp with the team): "Reassigned RHP Dylan Axelrod to minor-league camp."

Is it wrong that this makes me happy, relieved even? I'm essentially reveling in another's misfortune...
I hope you feel less guilty when you remember that Dylan Axelrod made almost $500,000 last year. He'll be OK for a good long while with that kind of money.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm not surprised Danks didn't make it, but i am surprised he was cut before Tekotte. I figure if Danks can hit, he's a better ballplayer than DeAza or Viciedo. Of course, that's a big IF.

Last edited by TheVulture; 03-25-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
Is it wrong that this makes me happy, relieved even?

♪♫ If hating him is wrong, I don't want to be right. ♫♬