White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2014, 08:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksBrokenFoot View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the trade, either. I'm leery of a prospect that has below average ability to make contact in the minors. It doesn't get any easier from here on up.
Well he did hit .308 with a .906 OPS this spring-I'm a little leery as well- but seems a little early to sound alarms that this was a bad trade-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 03-24-2014, 08:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
How much money was tied up in Boggs with the minor league contract he had signed? I'm assuming that was a small gamble to take.
Boggs' contract was contingent on him making the team- they didn't lose any money by cutting him- if no one else wants him at the major league level- they have offered him a slot at AAA-
Old 03-24-2014, 09:25 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I disagree- when contenders get hit with injuries- all three can bring something of value in return-

Dunn and Keppinger are a complete waste- but those 3 have some value- no need to just dump them-
I hear this often said and often it is false.

These guys are already known to suck. It would take each of them having career years in order to come remotely close to having trade value. And two of those guys are part time players, good luck with that.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:49 AM
WSI Personality

Default 2014

The older I get, the more that I try to be more positive about things. Especially when it comes to the White Sox. I really feel that if everything falls into place the team can get into the 2014 Playoffs. That being said I find it absolutely disheartening that Matt Davidson was sent down to the Minor Leagues and Adam Dunn is still on the team. Why would the White Sox trade there best relief pitcher (Addison Reed) for somebody who won't be on the Opening Day roster? Davidson played well enough this spring to be on the team and Adam Dunn is still playing like Adam Dunn. I understand that the White Sox owe $15 million for the 2014 season but he adds absolutely nothing to the team. I would rather have a rotating DH with Gillespie, DeAza Viciedo than having Dunn.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:57 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
I hear this often said and often it is false.

These guys are already known to suck. It would take each of them having career years in order to come remotely close to having trade value. And two of those guys are part time players, good luck with that.
We'll see- Hahn is doing his best to convert the current talent on the roster to pieces that can be part of the future version of the team- I'd rather hold on to the three we're discussing to give us the best chance to get talent in return- vs. dumping them.

Personally- I think De Aza is going to have a very good year, it's way too early to give up on Viciedo (injuries impacted him in 2013, he had a very good season for his age in 2012), Beckham looks injury prone - I would have thought his defense might make him an option for a contender who needs to plug a hole at 2nd base- but probably not.

I WOULD dump Dunn- I don't think there's any market for a 34 yo, platoon DH (vs. RHs only)- and I think he does real damage to this team for the 3-4 months we hang on to him hoping we can get something of value in return. He had a good run from June- August last year- but then dropped to .159 in September and he's stinking it up in spring training.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:13 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
We'll see- Hahn is doing his best to convert the current talent on the roster to pieces that can be part of the future version of the team- I'd rather hold on to the three we're discussing to give us the best chance to get talent in return- vs. dumping them.

Personally- I think De Aza is going to have a very good year, it's way too early to give up on Viciedo (injuries impacted him in 2013, he had a very good season for his age in 2012), Beckham looks injury prone - I would have thought his defense might make him an option for a contender who needs to plug a hole at 2nd base- but probably not.

I WOULD dump Dunn- I don't think there's any market for a 34 yo, platoon DH (vs. RHs only)- and I think he does real damage to this team for the 3-4 months we hang on to him hoping we can get something of value in return. He had a good run from June- August last year- but then dropped to .159 in September and he's stinking it up in spring training.
It's really not in the White Sox to eat money, and Dunn money is substantial.

But I agree with you, there is no hope in that guy.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:30 PM
WSI Prelate

There's no reason to rush Davidson. We're still building, he's young and has things to work on, and they want to see what they have in Gillaspie (who can't be sent back down).
The roster for position players was actually petty set before spring training, with the variable being injuries or whether they'd make a trade.
I just hope they are able to trade De Aza, Alexei and maybe Beckham for high ceiling prospects this season.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:42 PM
WSI Guru

It's just funny to me. When Addison Reed was here, few trusted him. He made people "nervous." Some wanted Jones to be the closer. Now that he's been dealt, we "wasted his trade value."

IMO, closers are vastly overrated in terms of their importance by fans and media alike. If you can get a potential everyday solution at a position of need in exchange for your closer, you make that trade every single time.

I hope people know Nate Jones is going to suck in the closer's role. Don't be surprised the first time he walks the bases loaded and gives up a grand slam. It will happen. There are going to be some spectacular implosions if he is named closer. The good news is it really doesn't matter. This is a rebuilding year anyway, and Jones is just going to be a ninth inning placeholder until Webb matures into the role.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Last edited by JB98; 03-24-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:49 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102605 View Post
Davidson looks to be about as good as Josh Fields and may make a nice career for himself as a AAA 3B. I think we completely wasted Addison Reed's trade value trading him when we did.

Hope I am completely wrong but I think Davidson isn't going to last too long in the opportunities he will get.
How much of Matt Davidson's professional career could you have possibly watched at this point? Less than 1%?

Give me a break guys.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 03-24-2014, 01:53 PM
WSI Personality

If Dunn didn't have a September worthy of 2011 we may have had a shot at trading him. I was hopeful at the end of August, he put together a really good half of a season in the middle of last year, and if he just kept that going through September someone would have wanted him.

From June 1st to September 1st he hit .272/.381/.498 with 18 HR and 51 RBI, and there are very few teams that doesn't help. Unfortunately, you can't follow that up with .159/.237/.348 for the last 21 games and maintain any trade value if you have Dunn's track record.

I think our only real hope of trading him is another run, straight from the start.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:55 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
It's just funny to me. When Addison Reed was here, few trusted him. He made people "nervous." Some wanted Jones to be the closer. Now that he's been dealt, we "wasted his trade value."

IMO, closers are vastly overrated in terms of their importance by fans and media alike. If you can get a potential everyday solution at a position of need in exchange for your closer, you make that trade every single time.

I hope people know Nate Jones is going to suck in the closer's role. Don't be surprised the first time he walks the bases loaded and gives up a grand slam. It will happen There are going to be some spectacular implosions if he is named closer. The good news is it really doesn't matter. This is a rebuilding year anyway, and Jones is just going to be a ninth inning placeholder until Webb matures into the role.
Agreed entirely. Addison Reed was a run-of-the-mill closer and Jones will probably also be a run-of-the-mill closer at best. Put a decent bullpen guy in the 9th inning every game you have a lead, and he'll likely end up with 30-40 saves. There have been so many of these guys throughout history on almost every team including ours (Bob James, Bobby Thigpen, Matt Karchner, Roberto Hernandez, etc.). Unless you are holding an Eckersley or Mariano, if you have a chance to get someone who could even just possibly be a long term solution to one of your holes, you do it. Every time.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I don't think it was a minor league deal. It was a one-year, $1.1 million contract. So, the Sox eat $1.1 million. I'm a little bit surprised by the move. I figured Boggs would be responsible for five or six April losses before the Sox wised up and cut him. I'm pleased they cut their losses now. It is clear he no longer has it and can't help.
I am pretty sure that Boggs' deal, which was a major league contract, was contingent on Boggs making the major league roster. Boggs didn't and the Sox are not on the hook for his salary.

It was pretty smart for the Sox to make that deal a contingent one.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:56 PM
WSI High Priest

I thought that Hahn did a good job selling high on Reed. It was mentioned that the coaches wanted Davidson to work on different things, which he has improved, by all accounts. Keeping Davidson in Charlotte isn't the worst thing. He can take the adjustments and get everyday work in. Besides, I have a feeling that Reed will be a disaster in Arizona. Not that I want that.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
It's really not in the White Sox to eat money, and Dunn money is substantial.

But I agree with you, there is no hope in that guy.
Dunn is in the last year of his deal. If he has a hot stretch, particularly in June or July, the Sox may have an opportunity to deal him with some team like Pittsburgh trying to upgrade at 1B down the stretch. It probably doesn't happen but it could. Last year, the Bucs acquired Justin Morneau at the deadline in a similar kind of deal.

And Dunn's stats should actually improve this year, as his role is limited to a platoon DH. Maybe that helps his trade value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
There's no reason to rush Davidson. We're still building, he's young and has things to work on, and they want to see what they have in Gillaspie (who can't be sent back down).
The roster for position players was actually petty set before spring training, with the variable being injuries or whether they'd make a trade.
I just hope they are able to trade De Aza, Alexei and maybe Beckham for high ceiling prospects this season.
I expect the Sox to keep making those kind of moves. That sure appears to be Hahn's approach.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

I hope people know Nate Jones is going to suck in the closer's role. Don't be surprised the first time he walks the bases loaded and gives up a grand slam. It will happen There are going to be some spectacular implosions if he is named closer. The good news is it really doesn't matter. This is a rebuilding year anyway, and Jones is just going to be a ninth inning placeholder until Webb matures into the role.
Dont be surprised when you see Lindstrom get a nice opportunity as closer. This would make him more valuable at the trade deadline.