White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-20-2014, 02:17 PM
#1swisher #1swisher is offline
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 60610
Posts: 16,878
Default Happy 100th Birthday Wrigley Field

The Cubs have created WrigleyField100.com to honor 100 years of history at the ballpark.


http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_chc&c_id=chc


__________________
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-20-2014, 03:15 PM
palehosepub palehosepub is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Palos Park & South Loop
Posts: 498
Default

and what a successful 100 years it has been.....
__________________
"Call your sons! Call your daughters! Call your friends! Call your neighbors! Mark Buehrle has a perfect game going into the ninth!"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-20-2014, 09:41 PM
tebman's Avatar
tebman tebman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bolingbrook
Posts: 3,610
Blog Entries: 12
Default

...and not looking a day over 99.


__________________
- tebman
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-21-2014, 08:29 AM
moochpuppy moochpuppy is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ft. Myers, Florida
Posts: 2,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post
...and not looking a day over 99.


What's with the nets? Is that to catch falling concrete?
__________________
Tradition rich:
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/2839/weaverfa8.gif
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-21-2014, 08:43 AM
roylestillman's Avatar
roylestillman roylestillman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Morgan Park
Posts: 2,082
Default

Isn't the netting close to 15 years old now?
__________________
Final 2014 Home Attendance Record 5-11.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-21-2014, 09:30 AM
Moses_Scurry Moses_Scurry is offline
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Carmel, IN
Posts: 3,060
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
Isn't the netting close to 15 years old now?
I remember threads about them putting the nets up on here, so they are no older than WSI. Probably 2005 or so. I remember somebody referring to it as "putting a diaper" on the urinal.
__________________
What is Mind? -- Doesn't Matter!
What is Matter? -- Never Mind!
-Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-21-2014, 09:36 AM
roylestillman's Avatar
roylestillman roylestillman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Morgan Park
Posts: 2,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
I remember threads about them putting the nets up on here, so they are no older than WSI. Probably 2005 or so. I remember somebody referring to it as "putting a diaper" on the urinal.
Found an old AP story. The City's building department threatened to not allow the park to open in July of the 2004 season until the netting was installed. So it's the tenth anniversary of the netting! Congratulations Cub fans.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1849134
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-21-2014, 09:45 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,524
Default

I hope word gets out about this. I'm worried that Wrigley Field doesn't get enough attention and accolades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochpuppy View Post
What's with the nets? Is that to catch falling concrete?
Yes.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-21-2014, 12:51 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 14,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
Found an old AP story. The City's building department threatened to not allow the park to open in July of the 2004 season until the netting was installed. So it's the tenth anniversary of the netting! Congratulations Cub fans.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1849134
As I recall those nets were supposed to be a temporary solution.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-21-2014, 03:51 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,221
Default

That can't be up to code. Nets? Are you kidding me? What other building owner ever got away with something like that?
__________________
A bad idea is better than no idea at all- Hawk
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-21-2014, 06:17 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 26,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
That can't be up to code. Nets? Are you kidding me? What other building owner ever got away with something like that?
The troughs are not exactly allowed in the Code, either.

Of course when you're selling hot dogs manufactured before the Korean War, bathroom troughs and crumbling cement are the least of your concerns.....
__________________

All hail The Rick
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-23-2014, 08:55 AM
Railsplitter Railsplitter is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Streamwood, IL
Posts: 6,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
The troughs are not exactly allowed in the Code, either.
I'm no expert on building codes, but aren't structures already in existence exempt?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-23-2014, 10:51 AM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 26,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
I'm no expert on building codes, but aren't structures already in existence exempt?
If something was up to Code when it was built, it is grandfathered in. However, if you remodel the part of the structure that is out of code, then the area being remodeled has to be brought up to current Code. You can have a kitchen that was built before GFCI outlets were required and today, that kitchen can still have the old fire-hazard outlets. But if you remodel your kitchen, then the GFCIs have to be put in.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-23-2014, 08:49 PM
cub killer cub killer is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
Found an old AP story. The City's building department threatened to not allow the park to open in July of the 2004 season until the netting was installed. So it's the tenth anniversary of the netting! Congratulations Cub fans.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1849134
When all this occurred, the Sun-Times put out the headline "Mayor Daley threatens to SHUT DOWN Wrigley Field". Pretty funny.

During the press conference, after Da Mare made the declaration, he was asked if he had anything more to say about Wrigley. His response was "Yeah, tell them to get a team."
__________________
Please stop playing that song before every game, MLB. Francis Scott Key was a racist: http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/10042
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Heff Heff is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
If something was up to Code when it was built, it is grandfathered in. However, if you remodel the part of the structure that is out of code, then the area being remodeled has to be brought up to current Code. You can have a kitchen that was built before GFCI outlets were required and today, that kitchen can still have the old fire-hazard outlets. But if you remodel your kitchen, then the GFCIs have to be put in.
Saw our Sox at Fenway last year and took the park tour (very cool, btw) - the guide said pretty much the same thing. They can't replace any of the original seats, or they'll have to install wider ones, reducing capacity by a few thousand...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.