White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 03-20-2014, 01:54 PM
Boondock Saint Boondock Saint is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Joliet
Posts: 19,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
At the time it was installed, the video board in CF was the largest of it's kind. How many people went to the games to look at the new board? I know everyone here is a marketing expert, and marketing experts who actually get paid to be marketing experts like Brooks Boyer, are buffoons, but there is absolutely no evidence a big giant video board would lure tourists to USCF.
Would you stop with this condescending garbage? "I know everyone here's a marketing expert", so you are, then? It's a discussion, you don't have to talk down to everybody that disagrees with you. Not everybody who disagrees with you is an ******* or an idiot. For ****'s sake.
__________________
Rock over London. Rock on, Chicago.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 03-20-2014, 02:00 PM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Would you stop with this condescending garbage? "I know everyone here's a marketing expert", so you are, then? It's a discussion, you don't have to talk down to everybody that disagrees with you. Not everybody who disagrees with you is an ******* or an idiot. For ****'s sake.
You are the one making claims attendance will rise just by spending several million on a new video board. The Sox even have had the biggest board in the league. Yet you show no proof. You can say I'm talking down to you, but you are making claims you refuse to even attempt to back up. Your only evidence is because you say so. How did other teams' attendance rise when all they did was improve their video boards?
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 03-20-2014, 02:04 PM
Boondock Saint Boondock Saint is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Joliet
Posts: 19,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
You are the one making claims attendance will rise just by spending several million on a new video board. The Sox even have had the biggest board in the league. Yet you show no proof. You can say I'm talking down to you, but you are making claims you refuse to even attempt to back up. Your only evidence is because you say so. How did other teams' attendance rise when all they did was improve their video boards?
It's simple logic. A new state of the art video board is an attraction. By your logic, no team should ever make any improvements on their stadium to keep up with league standards because nothing will ever truly improve attendance numbers, yet everybody does it.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 03-20-2014, 02:09 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,176
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
You are the one making claims attendance will rise just by spending several million on a new video board. The Sox even have had the biggest board in the league. Yet you show no proof. You can say I'm talking down to you, but you are making claims you refuse to even attempt to back up. Your only evidence is because you say so. How did other teams' attendance rise when all they did was improve their video boards?
Well, the Cell was a major draw when it first opened, now the park is just old and stale. I don't know if it will translate directly to butts in seats, but when this **** is so far behind every other team in the Majors, it is a little startling.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 03-20-2014, 02:11 PM
Red Barchetta Red Barchetta is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Sort of cool I guess from a corporate or group outing perspective. A nice place to hang around during a rain delay or before/after the ballgame.

However, I never understood the desire to go to a ballpark and sit inside a bar and watch the game on TV. That's where I go when I can't go to the game.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 03-20-2014, 02:13 PM
anewman35 anewman35 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 2,641
Default

Nobody is claiming that a new scoreboard is going to bring in millions of new people. However, it probably brings in SOME, and worse case scenario it's not going to bring LESS. All these other teams (in markets of all sizes) wouldn't add them if they didn't bring in people and/or revenue. If you're a hard core life long baseball fan, you probably don't care, but if you're a six year old, maybe you do. There are minor league parks with better scoreboards than we have and that's just not good.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-20-2014, 02:19 PM
anewman35 anewman35 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 2,641
Default

One last thing - people in this very thread have posted about how they were obsessed with the old park's scoreboard when they were kids, and that probably helped form their love of the team. The same thing could happen with kids today, if we had a scoreboard that wasn't an embarrassment compared to the rest of the league.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 03-20-2014, 02:23 PM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
One last thing - people in this very thread have posted about how they were obsessed with the old park's scoreboard when they were kids, and that probably helped form their love of the team. The same thing could happen with kids today, if we had a scoreboard that wasn't an embarrassment compared to the rest of the league.
Are there really people here that wouldn't have liked the White Sox had they had a different scoreboard when they were kids?
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 03-20-2014, 02:45 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
So the Sox are a second class team because of the size of their video board. That is classic.

The good news was for a little while they had the biggest video board in the league. So they were first class, and you know what, it didn't exactly cause the turnstiles to break from overuse. Please explain.

People don't go to games because of the size of the video board. Just check 8 miles north of USCF.
The Cubs could do almost nothing to renovate Wrigley Field and people will go there in droves. It's "historic" and all that crap. Despite that, even *they* are renovating and putting in video screens the way the Red Sox have.

For the Sox - or many "non-traditionally-popular" teams - the ballpark experience, including, yes, gamewatching amenities like scoreboards and the like, are significant for attracting a person to the park and, more significantly, getting a person to return. A state-of-the-art stadium can make up for some things on the field for more dedicated fans, and certainly is much more of an attraction for the causal person looking to spend his or her dollars.

Point being, those boards in the outfield suck, and if you travel around the majors, the majority of parks have much better. That's bad.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 03-20-2014, 02:46 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Are there really people here that wouldn't have liked the White Sox had they had a different scoreboard when they were kids?
There are very likely people who wouldn't have become fans if not for a gimmicky exploding scoreboard.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 03-20-2014, 02:46 PM
anewman35 anewman35 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 2,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Are there really people here that wouldn't have liked the White Sox had they had a different scoreboard when they were kids?
Here? Maybe not. But you have to be a pretty serious fan to be here. In the wider world, I'm sure there are some people like that.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 03-20-2014, 02:51 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Would you stop with this condescending garbage? "I know everyone here's a marketing expert", so you are, then? It's a discussion, you don't have to talk down to everybody that disagrees with you. Not everybody who disagrees with you is an ******* or an idiot. For ****'s sake.
Arguments like those presented by dickallen here are frequently seen from hardcore fans who find it hard to step outside hardcore fandom and accept that the majority of fans attending sporting events are not hardcore fans, and that to many, "an experience" at a game can be as important or moreso than what happens on the field. The Cubs and Wrigley are a prime and nearby example. Sell the stadium and sell the experience and get people in the stadium. Winning is even better.

It's preaching to the choir that fans shouldn't "need" amenities, top-notch video, etc. at a game to want to come to a game - we here are ALL people who go regardless. But we are not the people that teams market to. They've got our money already.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 03-20-2014, 02:53 PM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
Here? Maybe not. But you have to be a pretty serious fan to be here. In the wider world, I'm sure there are some people like that.
Very few to make a difference.
But here is where the complaining about the scoreboard is happening.

The White Sox will eventually get a new video board and it will be spectacular for a year or 2, then it will be average then people here will be saying its "embarrassing".

The Royals got a big new board in 2009. Their attendance hasn't reached 2008 levels since.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 03-20-2014, 03:06 PM
comiskey2000 comiskey2000 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 251
Default

There is some great land in Rosemont that doesn't seem like it's going to be used. Access to multiple highways, public transportation, and would even have new scoreboards.

Wait, maybe not teal???
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 03-20-2014, 04:21 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
The Royals got a big new board in 2009. Their attendance hasn't reached 2008 levels since.
That's a false statement.

And even if you want to make the point that attendance was lower in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 than it was when the board went up in 2009, look at the 4-5 year total vs. the 4-5 year total before the renovations.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.