White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2014, 10:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
the lack of a real strong HD board is a big miss at the park. It almost kind of affirms the whole 2nd class team with a 2nd class stadium feeling.
Wow.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

I guess that I'm the only one that goes to the game and doesn't think "Man I wish the jumbotron was bigger"

The improvements done to the park have been fantastic over the years and I guess I just never even thought about them upgrading the scoreboard.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
I guess that I'm the only one that goes to the game and doesn't think "Man I wish the jumbotron was bigger"

The improvements done to the park have been fantastic over the years and I guess I just never even thought about them upgrading the scoreboard.
Yeah, but when I can't even find the freaking line score of the game in front of me (which is the case in many seats in the park), it's a problem.

The Sox aren't popular enough or have a good enough team to rest on the "we don't need a good scoreboard to have fans enjoy the game" laurels.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:39 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post

I think there should be a better one since most people like it but seeing that I'm looking at a screen 8-11 hours a day I try not to look.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Yeah, but when I can't even find the freaking line score of the game in front of me (which is the case in many seats in the park), it's a problem.

The Sox aren't popular enough or have a good enough team to rest on the "we don't need a good scoreboard to have fans enjoy the game" laurels.
That is true. They just need to switch the board in left Field more towards CF so your view isn't blocked by the fundamentals deck.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
the lack of a real strong HD board is a big miss at the park. It almost kind of affirms the whole 2nd class team with a 2nd class stadium feeling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Wow.
As in, "Wow, that is completely right." Because it is.

I know a bunch of us like to join conversations like this to throw out the old "I guess I'm the type who comes to watch a game and doesn't need a state of the art scoreboard" statements. Yes, we *here* all are.

But the point is causal, non-lunatic fans like us so not feel this way. They *do* care what the park is like, whether the ushers smile, and stuff like that. It makes the trip pleasant and worth the money for them, and encourages them to come again.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 03-20-2014, 01:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post

I know a bunch of us like to join conversations like this to throw out the old "I guess I'm the type who comes to watch a game and doesn't need a state of the art scoreboard" statements. Yes, we *here* all are.

But the point is causal, non-lunatic fans like us so not feel this way. They *do* care what the park is like, whether the ushers smile, and stuff like that. It makes the trip pleasant and worth the money for them, and encourages them to come again.
So the Sox are a second class team because of the size of their video board. That is classic.

The good news was for a little while they had the biggest video board in the league. So they were first class, and you know what, it didn't exactly cause the turnstiles to break from overuse. Please explain.

People don't go to games because of the size of the video board. Just check 8 miles north of USCF.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post

Yeah, tourism is a big deal. When we're competing with the Cubs for tourists, and the Cubs don't need a modern stadium because of "atmosphere" or "history" or whatever you want to call it, the Sox need to stand out in other ways. We're not playing superior baseball, so we need to improve what we can. A modern stadium experience goes a long way in that regard.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Yeah, tourism is a big deal. When we're competing with the Cubs for tourists, and the Cubs don't need a modern stadium because of "atmosphere", the Sox need to stand out in other ways. We're not playing superior baseball, so we need to improve what we can. A modern stadium experience goes a long way in that regard.
Exactly how many "tourists" are posting on here complaining about a video board or ticket takers and ushers not smiling? Where, other than here, do can you find these complaints? Supposedly most people here became White Sox fans when there was no video board, or had one even smaller than the board they have now. What year did the size of the video board make a difference in WSI posters' decision to either attend or not attend a game?
Old 03-20-2014, 02:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Xfinity Bar it is:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/chica...52697905448047
Old 03-20-2014, 02:35 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

The scoreboard keeps people away? Please. People go to a baseball game to see a baseball game. Want to watch animation on a large screen? Go to your local AMC Multiplex.

I've been to Cleveland's stadium. The scoreboard is a huge distraction.

All hail The Rick
Old 03-20-2014, 02:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
The scoreboard keeps people away? Please. People go to a baseball game to see a baseball game. Want to watch animation on a large screen? Go to your local AMC Multiplex.

I've been to Cleveland's stadium. The scoreboard is a huge distraction.
Scoreboards are for reference. Every once in a while I'll look up to check something.

I'm not about to go to a game in a stadium where the seats are all angled so you can see where the action takes place to watch it on a videoboard.

Besides, I'd rather see Jerry spend $10-20M on the team than on a scoreboard.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Exactly how many "tourists" are posting on here complaining about a video board or ticket takers and ushers not smiling? Where, other than here, do can you find these complaints? Supposedly most people here became White Sox fans when there was no video board, or had one even smaller than the board they have now. What year did the size of the video board make a difference in WSI posters' decision to either attend or not attend a game?
We're not talking about Sox fans here. We're talking about casual baseball fans and tourists. Do you really expect tourists to come onto a non-official message board to complain about anything? You're burying your head in the sand if you don't think a modern video board would help the Sox bring people to the stadium.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Scoreboards are for reference. Every once in a while I'll look up to check something.

I'm not about to go to a game in a stadium where the seats are all angled so you can see where the action takes place to watch it on a videoboard.

Besides, I'd rather see Jerry spend $10-20M on the team than on a scoreboard.
I hate this logic. Who says it has to be one or the other?
Old 03-20-2014, 02:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
We're not talking about Sox fans here. We're talking about casual baseball fans and tourists. Do you really expect tourists to come onto a non-official message board to complain about anything? You're burying your head in the sand if you don't think a modern video board would help the Sox bring people to the stadium.
At the time it was installed, the video board in CF was the largest of it's kind. How many people went to the games to look at the new board? I know everyone here is a marketing expert, and marketing experts who actually get paid to be marketing experts like Brooks Boyer, are buffoons, but there is absolutely no evidence a big giant video board would lure tourists to USCF.