White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2014, 12:56 PM
WSI High Priest

As far as the fan experience at the game, really only the LF board is horribly out of date, and I do like the newish out of town scoreboard.

The CF board I can live with as far as in the park viewing, I could care less that other parks have bigger or better boards.

Replacing the LF board should be priority.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:14 AM
WSI High Priest

When it comes to the whole scoreboard topic- I would love to see a significant renovation to entire outfield concourse area:
  1. Keep the fundamentals area (maybe put in permanent signage vs. the vinyl stuff they put out there each year)
  2. Replace the "tinker toy" and billboard look with a look that includes the arches from Old Comiskey (and the exterior windows of the new park)- you can still have advertising within the arches, etc.
  3. Install a primary scoreboard that is the modern version of the iconic center field scoreboard from old Comiskey- either in straightaway center or if that doesn't work (due to the Fan Deck)- in LF like they have at Comerica Park or Progressive Field.
  4. Include an area that will be the permanent home for displaying the retired numbers and relocate the "White Sox Hall of Fame/Museum" to this area
Possibly fund it through a naming rights deal- the United Airlines Concourse, etc.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 03-19-2014, 08:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
When it comes to the whole scoreboard topic- I would love to see a significant renovation to entire outfield concourse area:
  1. Keep the fundamentals area (maybe put in permanent signage vs. the vinyl stuff they put out there each year)
  2. Replace the "tinker toy" and billboard look with a look that includes the arches from Old Comiskey (and the exterior windows of the new park)- you can still have advertising within the arches, etc.
  3. Install a primary scoreboard that is the modern version of the iconic center field scoreboard from old Comiskey- either in straightaway center or if that doesn't work (due to the Fan Deck)- in LF like they have at Comerica Park or Progressive Field.
  4. Include an area that will be the permanent home for displaying the retired numbers and relocate the "White Sox Hall of Fame/Museum" to this area
Possibly fund it through a naming rights deal- the United Airlines Concourse, etc.
You've read my mind on every point. I have always thought that this is exactly what was needed in the outfield. Could you imagine the 1976 version of the old scoreboard updated to full frameless HD LED board like the Royals?
Old 03-19-2014, 05:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

The beauty of the original board was that it was the focal point of the old ballpark. Veeck was inspired by a pinball machine that erupted in a scene in the play "The Time Of Your Life" by William Saroyan. 54 years ago it was high-flying technology.

It behaved crazily like a pinball machine too, which is what made it so much fun. The light and firework patterns were randomized so it didn't blow up the same way every time. The Sox-O-Gram was a novelty too.

The advertisers on the board paid for it within three years, according to Veeck's book. It didn't cost the Sox anything except some annoyed opponents. With the display technology avaialable today, I don't understand why the Sox haven't jumped on their legacy and brought that goofiness back. Sponsors still exist, and they could pay for a pinball machine/video game/cannonade contraption that could also display all the game data anyone would need.

I don't get it. The Sox should've been all over this years ago.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
They need to upgrade the board in LF that's the same cheap-o white lights board that was there when the park was buitl 25 years ago.

I'm sure it was awesome in 1991 but COME THE **** ON
I'm in agreement with you that the dot matrix board is now dated looking but I'm pretty sure that is not the same one that the park opened with. If memory serves, they replaced it around 2002. I believe it was part of the update package they wanted to have done before the All Star Game in 2003. Like the original one, the newer board is also monochrome dot matrix but it is bigger and has a higher resolution than the old one did. The old one was square in the center and had vertical "slots" for the lineups on each end of the square with only room for that player's jersey number in the lineup along with a small light bulb that let you know which player was up to bat. The newer one is completely rectangular and displays the full name of the player along with the number and is highlighted by the dot matrix board itself.

Below is a photo of the left field board taken in the early 90s with the square center and the "number slots" for the lineups:

Here is a newer photo with our current LF dot matrix board:

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 03-19-2014, 08:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Sorry, maybe I'm not old enough. But that old scoreboard looks like a piece of ****.

Maybe it's time to ditch the whole exploding (which doesn't explode) scoreboard concept and do something else with technology.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I agree. Although the black lattace looks better than the original white lattace, I would rather have a bricked archway-type back wall that would hold the scoreboards and advertising. It would help enclose the park and improve the overall look and feel.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:40 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Sorry, maybe I'm not old enough. But that old scoreboard looks like a piece of ****.
Blasphemy! I missed seeing it in person by one year. I went to my first game in the first year they had the Diamondvision, but I remember staying up late and seeing this thing go off on Channel 44 many nights...

2014 Attendance Record: 3-5; 0.375
Old 03-19-2014, 08:47 PM
WSI Guru

This has nothing to do with the Cell, but I was searching for that Veeck scoreboard photo and came across this family that made an Old Comiskey model out of popsicle sticks...
http://kidneytransplantfitnessblog.b...1_archive.html
Old 03-19-2014, 08:48 PM
WSI Prelate

The movie Major League came out in 1989. Our video board in left field in 2014 is comparable to the video board in that movie.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
The movie Major League came out in 1989. Our video board in left field in 2014 is comparable to the video board in that movie.
To be fair, the left field board ISN'T a video board and isn't meant to be - it's for game information, which doesn't strictly REQUIRE video. I'm sure the actual video board in center is better than anything in Major League.

That said, I fully agree that the scoreboard situation needs a major upgrade. Just don't think it's fair to compare our secondary board to a main board in 1989.

It's probably a sad statement, but I'm not even sure how much upgraded video stuff would help, because I don't trust the team to actually use it in a manner that makes any sense, they'd probably just cover it all with ads and not display a whole lot more info than they do now...
Old 03-19-2014, 09:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Just so people know what kind of dollars these things cost, apparently the KC board cost $8.2 million back in 2008, Seattle (which is the current biggest board in baseball, unless something is beating it this year) cost $10 million last year. It's clearly not nothing, but it also doesn't strike me as THAT much, especially since it should last for years and could help pay for itself with ads or sponsorship. But, hey, it's always easy to spend somebody else's money...
Old 03-19-2014, 11:43 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Blasphemy! I missed seeing it in person by one year. I went to my first game in the first year they had the Diamondvision, but I remember staying up late and seeing this thing go off on Channel 44 many nights...

I was obsessed with that scoreboard as a kid. Hopefully whenever they upgrade which will be when 75% of mlb parks have updated, they will do something like it.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut67 View Post
I was obsessed with that scoreboard as a kid. Hopefully whenever they upgrade which will be when 75% of mlb parks have updated, they will do something like it.
As was I. Plus the fireworks looked like they were coming out of the back of it, as opposed to the giant right-field fireworks complex we have now.

I really miss the bleachers in the old park, and the walkways to and from the upper deck behind the scoreboard. And the picnic area, I could go on and on...
Old 03-20-2014, 09:42 AM
WSI High Priest

the lack of a real strong HD board is a big miss at the park. It almost kind of affirms the whole 2nd class team with a 2nd class stadium feeling.