White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2014, 02:37 PM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvckennyd View Post
I'm not sure the field views will be all that great though. The bar is set back along the back wall where that game console interactive thing used to be. So picture that new area, then the actual concourse and then the seats and field.
For selfish reasons, I'm glad it's against the back wall. I don't think any stands should be on the "front" (closest to the field) part of the concourse. (in the outfield anyway)
Old 03-14-2014, 02:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan View Post
Or adding more escalators that only function half the time
Or actually adding a "Down" feature to the escalators. I'm curious where the retired numbers end up.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

They need a bigger HD video board in center.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:17 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
They need to upgrade the board in LF that's the same cheap-o white lights board that was there when the park was buitl 25 years ago.

I'm sure it was awesome in 1991 but COME THE **** ON
Old 03-17-2014, 01:54 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
It terms of scoreboards, this should be the #1 priority. The Royals' board puts our board to shame.

Anticipated next game: Unknown
Old 03-17-2014, 03:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

This probably isn't it, but one thing they are doing is improving the stormwater runoff at the ballpark. I'd never heard of it, but evidently the batting cages and whatever else is located in the very lowest levels of the park get flooded several times a season, whenever there are torrential rains.

They've installed trench drains beneath the warning track along the foul lines and along the outfield walls; they tie into new storm sewers that exit the park at LF or CF and lead to a new stormwater detention facility beneath the parking lot in the little service court between the stadium walls and the scaffolding structure where they shoot off the fireworks.

I know throughout January and February they were working on this and fighting the weather; hopefully it'll all be done for opening day.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Dawg View Post
This probably isn't it, but one thing they are doing is improving the stormwater runoff at the ballpark. I'd never heard of it, but evidently the batting cages and whatever else is located in the very lowest levels of the park get flooded several times a season, whenever there are torrential rains.

They've installed trench drains beneath the warning track along the foul lines and along the outfield walls; they tie into new storm sewers that exit the park at LF or CF and lead to a new stormwater detention facility beneath the parking lot in the little service court between the stadium walls and the scaffolding structure where they shoot off the fireworks.

I know throughout January and February they were working on this and fighting the weather; hopefully it'll all be done for opening day.
Anyone who was at the Sox/Cubs game on May 28th last year experienced this firsthand.

2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Old 03-17-2014, 03:35 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoG19 View Post
It terms of scoreboards, this should be the #1 priority. The Royals' board puts our board to shame.
Nearly every stadium in MLB puts our scoreboards to shame. The Cubs will have a bigger, better board whenever they can get theirs built.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:06 PM
WSI Regular

Both detroit and cleveland also have outstanding video boards as well
Old 03-17-2014, 07:32 PM
WSI Prelate

I would love LED boards on the current backwall from foul pole to fundamental deck. An entire continuous wall of screens.

The ad space would pay for it in no time.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxFann View Post
Nearly every stadium in MLB puts our scoreboards to shame. The Cubs will have a bigger, better board whenever they can get theirs built.
Our scoreboard situation is a joke. For a team that plays in a park that has struggled for years to overcome a reputation of blandness, it doesn't help that the scoreboards are undersized, hard to read, and gives the impression that it was cutting edge for the 1990s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
I would love LED boards on the current backwall from foul pole to fundamental deck. An entire continuous wall of screens.

The ad space would pay for it in no time.
The current ribbon boards at the park are a joke. Unlike ribbon boards at other parks, it's 100% ads and silly graphics. Sure, other parks' boards have this too, but they at least also put in some game stats on those boards some of the time.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:31 AM
WSI High Priest

Didn't Brooks say a certain amount of teams have to get bigger video boards before the Sox get theirs upgraded? At the time of the last upgrade in CF, I believe 2003, I think that was the largest screen in the league.

You can complain about the White Sox and their video boards all you want, but THIS ISN'T A WHITE SOX ISSUE. THE WHITE SOX ARE TENANTS AND DON'T OWN THE BOARDS OR USCF. THE OWNER HAS TO MAKE THE IMPROVEMENTS.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:11 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
You can complain about the White Sox and their video boards all you want, but THIS ISN'T A WHITE SOX ISSUE. THE WHITE SOX ARE TENANTS AND DON'T OWN THE BOARDS OR USCF. THE OWNER HAS TO MAKE THE IMPROVEMENTS.
The Sox hired HKS to make the last set of improvements. Were the Sox the owner then?

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 03-18-2014, 10:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Didn't Brooks say a certain amount of teams have to get bigger video boards before the Sox get theirs upgraded? At the time of the last upgrade in CF, I believe 2003, I think that was the largest screen in the league.

Yes and no. As part of the lease agreement, money is set aside every year for capital improvements to the park ( if I remember correctly, it was about $2 million per year.) it's up to the Sox to decide how to spend it or set it aside for a major improvement later. The Sox can also set aside incremental revenue, in this case ad revenue, to finance the new board. All of the improvements done since 2003 have pretty much come from the bond that was financed from the US Cellular naming rights. Now if the Sox pledged ad revenue from the 2003 boards were installed, they might not be be paid off yet, which would restrict pledging that revenue to a new board. I suspect that may be the problem here.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Technically true - but the Sox don't have to just sit back and wait for it to happen. And it's possible that, behind the scenes they are working on it, we don't really know. I just can't imagine that if the Sox offered to pay for a new board that it wouldn't happen. They probably want the state to pay for it, which I guess is technically their right, but it doesn't seem likely to happen anytime soon and it's their fans who get an inferior product in the meantime.