White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 05:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Maybe I'm just too out of the loop, but what is the alternative to Beckham playing second?

Opening a gaping hole at one position to shore up another really doesn't solve any problems. For as underwhelming as Beckham has been, I don't really recall the Sox having any ready alternatives.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:49 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
They don't have any catchers in the minors worth Beckham. That's selling low. Beckham showed some improvement, too.
We also don't have a 2B on the roster that's ready. The young guys need more time in the minors, and Keppinger would deteriorate our defense.

Keppinger for a catcher? Sure.
Uh, they have a Top 100 prospect catcher who is easily more valuable than Beckham, not to mention a guy who had a very good year in AA and AAA and another guy whose proven to be a decent player at the MLB level when he's given the opportunity. In all likelihood, they have at least 3 catchers more valuable than Beckham.

Beckham is not a prospect any more. He's entering his late 20s and hasn't had a decent season since 2009. People need to accept what he is, a decent field, ****ty hitting, middle infielder who makes $4 million.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
Maybe I'm just too out of the loop, but what is the alternative to Beckham playing second?

Opening a gaping hole at one position to shore up another really doesn't solve any problems. For as underwhelming as Beckham has been, I don't really recall the Sox having any ready alternatives.
Sure, but it doesn't really matter for this season, anyway. A body there is enough. Keppinger would be enough.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 02-26-2014, 05:57 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
Marcus Semien is a Top 100 BA prospect and has had a very successful minor league career. Carlos Sanchez was one of the organization's top prospects prior to last year; he had a down year in AAA but that was an aggressive placement given his age. Micah Johnson is probably a year or two away, but had a fantastic 2013 season. Sanchez and Johnson definitely project to be 2B, Semien probably does.

Semien is the most MLB ready of the bunch but it is probably prudent to wait at least a few months to let him work in AAA. But the bottom line is that this is still a team that's probably going to lose 85-95 games this year, so the idea of creating a "gaping" hole isn't such a disaster. And frankly, the Sox have a gaping hole at C and currently have absolutely no means to fill it internally, whereas they have a hole at 2B but have a few intriguing guys who may be ready by 2015 or 2016. It's obvious that Beckham is now simply a placeholder for 2B, he's not part of the long-term plan any more. So if you can get someone you think can be a long-term solution behind the plate for him, I can't see why you wouldn't pull the trigger.

Just pray that Beckham starts hot, Roberts gets hurt, and maybe another big spender like the Red Sox or Dodgers realizes they need a 2B, too, and we can get someone to overpay for him.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Can you do us a favor and shut down that GIF in your sig before the Yankees change their minds?
On the other hand, keeping the sig up might convince to NY Jets to try him out at safety.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:13 PM
MMXXIII

Hahn downplayed the rumors today in AZ....

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/...s-trade-rumors
Old 02-27-2014, 01:13 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Uh, they have a Top 100 prospect catcher who is easily more valuable than Beckham, not to mention a guy who had a very good year in AA and AAA and another guy whose proven to be a decent player at the MLB level when he's given the opportunity. In all likelihood, they have at least 3 catchers more valuable than Beckham.

Beckham is not a prospect any more. He's entering his late 20s and hasn't had a decent season since 2009. People need to accept what he is, a decent field, ****ty hitting, middle infielder who makes $4 million.
He's a good fielder, who hasn't hit well but showed improvement last year.
Okay, they have Murphy and Sanchez but those guys aren't coming here for Beckham. Maybe if they get desperate and we hold out we could get Murphy, but I don't see it as realistic.
No on Cervelli, whom I assume is who we're talking about.
I think they have another guy down there who profiles as a backup as well. We have backups.
I do like each of our 3 Middle Infield prospects, but i think they need more time.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
He's a good fielder, who hasn't hit well but showed improvement last year.
Okay, they have Murphy and Sanchez but those guys aren't coming here for Beckham. Maybe if they get desperate and we hold out we could get Murphy, but I don't see it as realistic.
No on Cervelli, whom I assume is who we're talking about.
I think they have another guy down there who profiles as a backup as well. We have backups.
I do like each of our 3 Middle Infield prospects, but i think they need more time.
Beckham really didn't show much improvement last year and his home runs were way down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 02-27-2014, 11:59 AM
WSI High Priest

I still think Beckham might pull it together finally in 2014- if he can stay healthy- but for the Sox longer term rebuilding- we have several options in the farm system (Sanchez, Semian, Micah J.)- so as others have said- the priority this year is maximizing his trade value to see if we can use him to plug the holes where we have nothing in the system (i.e. catcher or pitching...always need more pitching).
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 02-27-2014, 12:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

If there was a time to trade Beckham, it was before last season. Unless the Sox have totally given up on the guy and they have someone they can plug in at second base for this year, I don't see him being traded.

Catcher is a bigger problem and fixing that but creating a new problem at second doesn't make sense.

What the Sox need is some team to cut a decent veteran catcher so we don't have to see the Flowers/Flegley suck fest.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:39 PM
WSI High Priest

While not completing writing off 2014- the real goal is 2015- Beckham is on a one year agreement with several prospects projected to be ready by 2015- the one gaping hole we have in the org is catcher- no real talent at any level- if you can use him to bring a catcher that can fill the role for the next few years- you absolutely do it.

The one veteran I can see them staying with is Ramirez at SS- keep him for a few more years until (hopefully) Tim Anderson is ready-
Old 02-27-2014, 03:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'd rather have L Garcia in AAA getting AB's everyday. If he can hit at all, he can be your SS of the future. He has insane range and a cannon. He can steal bases. He's just really dynamic.

If you're into defense, the Sox have 2 wizards in Garcia and Rondon. I've never seen Rondon, but the talk in the lower levels is that he might be the best fielding SS a lot of coaches have ever seen. The problem is that neither can hit a lick.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
What the Sox need is some team to cut a decent veteran catcher so we don't have to see the Flowers/Flegley suck fest.
It sounds as though the Sox and Arizona are both looking at a possible deal for Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/..._cervelli.html
Old 03-12-2014, 01:11 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
It sounds as though the Sox and Arizona are both looking at a possible deal for Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/..._cervelli.html
I would hope if the Sox get a C from NYY it would be someone with a little more future ahead of him than the 28-year-old Cervelli but... It would also highly depend on what the return was.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I would hope if the Sox get a C from NYY it would be someone with a little more future ahead of him than the 28-year-old Cervelli but... It would also highly depend on what the return was.
That is exactly right. John Ryan Murphy (the Yanks called him J.R. Murphy last year but apparently he has always gone by the entire name) and certainly Gary Sanchez have more upside but they would cost more in terms of talent.

What could the Yankees realistically get for Cervelli in terms of infield help? Probably Jeff Keppinger. I do think that a Cervelli/Keppinger swap is fair and probably helps both clubs.