White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2014, 06:29 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
I went to fewer games last year (5 or 6) than any season since I got my drivers license back in 1997. Yeah, that's due in large part to the terrible team on the field. But the marketing department exists, really, to make the terrible seasons tolerable enough to make people still want to come to games. So if that's the measure of success, then they failed.
What would have made that team more tolerable to you? What would have made you open up your wallet for tickets?

To me, $5 tickets with $10 parking seems like one heck of a sell. They had free food over by Bacardi on Sundays too. Also, $7 and $15 tickets for each game seems like one heck of a sell also. They had good giveaways. New food options. New beers. I just don't see the organization not trying to get your business when they do all these things.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:31 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Sox_Summer View Post
I get tired of hearing that the organization doesn't care. The amount of surveys they send out (free tickets they give out for doing them) shows me that they do care. They responded to the major one in 2013 by drastically lowering ticket prices, the major thing that fans said was the factor why they don't go to games.
I filled out a bunch of those surveys. I don't recall being asked my opinion about the uniforms.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:32 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
But this is also an example of people complaining no matter what. One of the big arguments against the marketing seems to be that they don't do anything. Well, they did something. People (at least people here) didn't seem to like it, but people don't tend to like change. The old intro was great, sure, but should it really have been the intro for all time just because it was from 2005? Honestly, part of me thinks it should have been - but times change, and if the organization refuses to ever change anything because of "tradition" then eventually they just look old fashioned. Not every change will be successful, but that's not a reason not to try things.
So if I complain that the concession stands are manned by incompetent, angry people, and I want the marketing department to do something about it, I shouldn't be upset when they change the scoreboard intro, because, hey, at least they're doing something? Makes sense.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Here's a 27-page thread with a whole bunch of things they could have done. The short answer is not have terrible customer service.
Well, customer service isn't something that marketing has any control over (and, yes, the team should do something about it, but they always claim they can't. Let's not get into all that again). Many of the other things are opinions (i.e., "the new video sucks"). As for ideas like "more promotions!" or "more bobbleheads!", I can't imagine that the marketing department doesn't WANT to do that stuff - but it costs money. Either the team doesn't want to pay it or there aren't sponsors who'll pay for them. Again, not really the marketing department's fault.

I don't really have any particular love for Brooks or the marketing department, but it drives me crazy when people on the outside of a situation are SURE that they know more than people who actually are involved in a situation. Say what you want about Jerry Reinsdorf and the White Sox, but one thing nobody has ever said about him is that he doesn't want to make money. If the marketing department was as horrible as so many of you think, do you really think nobody would have done anything about it for all these years?
Old 02-28-2014, 06:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
So if I complain that the concession stands are manned by incompetent, angry people, and I want the marketing department to do something about it, I shouldn't be upset when they change the scoreboard intro, because, hey, at least they're doing something? Makes sense.
That's like complaining to the marketing department because Adam Dunn strikes out a lot. What are they supposed to do about it?
Old 02-28-2014, 06:45 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
I filled out a bunch of those surveys. I don't recall being asked my opinion about the uniforms.
On every survey I have done, they have a comments box on which you can add your thoughts. Did you write it in?

Still waiting on what it would have taken to get you to more games.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Brooks Boyer is Senior Vice President, Sales and Marketing. The Senior Vice President, Stadium Operations is Terry Savarise. I have to think that most of the problems most of you have with Brooks Boyer are really things that Terry Savarise is in charge of.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/...ise_terry.html
Old 02-28-2014, 06:46 PM
WSI Regular

I was already tired of them towards the second half of last season, so I'm not a fan of this. I'd have preferred a new set of throwbacks this year, maybe half length jerseys and pants to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the strike-shortened season.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Sox_Summer View Post
On every survey I have done, they have a comments box on which you can add your thoughts. Did you write it in?

Still waiting on what it would have taken to get you to more games.
He would have gone to more games if there was better Customer Service. Of course, he wouldn't have known if there was better Customer Service, since he wasn't going to games.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

It seems like the organization uses any excuse to promote the 83 uniforms. I guess JR has a warm spot for those as they represent his first mark on the team after taking ownership.

I personally am tired of them. I like some of the merchanising such as polo shirts, golf pullovers, etc. as it's nice to get SOX gear that isn't black and gray, but as to on-field uniforms, I wish they would try something else.

I personally would like a real set of "home whites" uniform to be worn on Sundays. Similar to how the Mets have both pinstripes and solid white uniforms with solid piping trim. Basically take the current white home uniforms, remove the pinstripes and add black piping while keeping the SOX logo and numbers. Then remove the names from the back of the jerseys.

I would rather have them experiment more with the current uniforms then to constantly bring back these 83 uniforms in some form. I can't understand why they are so popular when there are so many more retro SOX uniforms that could be modeled.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
It seems like the organization uses any excuse to promote the 83 uniforms. I guess JR has a warm spot for those as they represent his first mark on the team after taking ownership.

I personally am tired of them. I like some of the merchanising such as polo shirts, golf pullovers, etc. as it's nice to get SOX gear that isn't black and gray, but as to on-field uniforms, I wish they would try something else.

I personally would like a real set of "home whites" uniform to be worn on Sundays. Similar to how the Mets have both pinstripes and solid white uniforms with solid piping trim. Basically take the current white home uniforms, remove the pinstripes and add black piping while keeping the SOX logo and numbers. Then remove the names from the back of the jerseys.

I would rather have them experiment more with the current uniforms then to constantly bring back these 83 uniforms in some form. I can't understand why they are so popular when there are so many more retro SOX uniforms that could be modeled.
If they want to do something different on Sundays, wear white socks.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:39 PM
WSI Personality

Their standard pin striped home uniforms are frickin awesome. They might consider wearing them 90% of the time.

Their gray road uniforms are also great (though less so without the diamond path and tuxedo stripe) so maybe they could just wear those.

This uniform madness seems so unnecessary especially considering that our default unis are just so good.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

They sucked then and they suck worse now. I thought we had seen the last of those things last year...Red pinnies much better...Leave to the White Sox to look like a laughing stock

"I still get such a bang out of it, playing ball. The same as I did when I first came up. You get out there and the stand are full and everybody's cheering. It's like everybody in the world came to see you."

George Daniel "Buck" Weaver
1890-1956

Old 03-08-2014, 04:06 PM
WSI High Priest

I wonder if this is a generational thing. I was born in 1986 and have loved the 83 unis from the moment I first saw them. Most people I know my age also think those are among the best uniforms the Sox have ever worn.

On the contrary, I think the red pinstripe unis are inexplicable. Why would the WHITE Sox wear those jerseys when there is another different team called the RED Sox? Never made sense to me.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 03-08-2014, 05:58 PM
WSI Personality

Doesn't this go against the whole excuse Brooks Boyer gave a couple of years ago with removing the diamond sock patch and keeping the branding of the team consistent?

Anticipated next game: Unknown