White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2014, 09:12 AM
WSI Regular

Default White Sox Catching Need

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/...nkees-catchers

I know Hahn has recently downplayed these rumors, but I would really like to have Cervelli over Flowers or Phegley. Any thoughts on what it would realistically take to land a backup catcher like Cervelli?

Cervelli is turning 27 on March 6th, Flowers is 28, and Phegley is 26.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

A catching upgrade is desperately needed. It's unacceptable to start the season with what we have now.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:27 PM
WSI High Priest

We have a few "spare parts" that might be valuable to the Yankees- Beckham, Keppinger (needs to prove shoulder is OK) and De Aza-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 03-01-2014, 02:33 PM
WSI High Priest

This team is not a catcher away from being a contender. I think its perfectly acceptable to keep throwing our existing catching staff out there as we rebuild, and focus on getting a catcher next season if it looks like we're close to being competitive.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 03-01-2014, 02:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
A catching upgrade is desperately needed. It's unacceptable to start the season with what we have now.
No doubt about it.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
This team is not a catcher away from being a contender. I think its perfectly acceptable to keep throwing our existing catching staff out there as we rebuild, and focus on getting a catcher next season if it looks like we're close to being competitive.
If they can get one now they should.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:22 PM
WSI High Priest

No GM in baseball is going to trade a halfway decent catcher for Gordon Beckham, Alejandro De Aza, or Jeff Keppinger. Barring an awesome first half convincing Rick Hahn to become a buyer at the trade deadline, the catching situation is locked in for 2014.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:04 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
No GM in baseball is going to trade a halfway decent catcher for Gordon Beckham, Alejandro De Aza, or Jeff Keppinger. Barring an awesome first half convincing Rick Hahn to become a buyer at the trade deadline, the catching situation is locked in for 2014.
If you're like the Yanks and have a big focus on the needs of the big club, they could have a solid interest in Keppinger and Beckham. After failing year after year to acquire/draft/develop a future catcher, it looks like we finally may do something about it.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:41 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
If they can get one now they should.
Well sure, if the catching equivalent of a Jose Abreu appears, go for it. But we're talking about acquiring other teams backup catchers here.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:56 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenk16 View Post
http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/...nkees-catchers

I know Hahn has recently downplayed these rumors, but I would really like to have Cervelli over Flowers or Phegley. Any thoughts on what it would realistically take to land a backup catcher like Cervelli?
Maybe some of our backups.
No reason to use real resources on a backup catcher.
And I disagree with above - you should be able to get a backup catch for De Aza or Beckham. You won't get a real prospect catcher for one of those guys, though, unless they're having strong years and it's July (which is probably what we should wait to do rather than going for a backup now).
Old 03-02-2014, 11:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg
Maybe some of our backups.
No reason to use real resources on a backup catcher.
And I disagree with above - you should be able to get a backup catch for De Aza or Beckham. You won't get a real prospect catcher for one of those guys, though, unless they're having strong years and it's July (which is probably what we should wait to do rather than going for a backup now).
I agree that De Aza or Beckham can get you a backup-quality catcher, but if a trade is only going to bring back a backup-quality catcher anyway, then why bother? We already have two of those under contract. Replacing bad with slightly less bad isn't worth making a trade, unless the catcher being acquired makes next to nothing, and the other team will be OK with paying the $4 million or so difference in salary. Like you say, I would rather just wait until July and see if either player can up his value with a halfway decent first half. As for Keppinger, he has no trade value at all right now, so it's pointless to even discuss him.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
As for Keppinger, he has no trade value at all right now, so it's pointless to even discuss him.
I'm not sure that is true. The Yankees' depth in the middle infield is awful. They need a right handed hitting infielder to fill in at 2B, 3B and maybe 1B, too. Against lefties, Keppinger has a lifetime average of .318, even though 2013 was bad. And Keppinger can play 3B, 2B and 1B.

Keppinger may have some value for New York. If the Sox could move him there and get some catching depth to boot (or even a catching prospect), that would be great for the Sox!
Old 03-02-2014, 06:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
I'm not sure that is true. The Yankees' depth in the middle infield is awful. They need a right handed hitting infielder to fill in at 2B, 3B and maybe 1B, too. Against lefties, Keppinger has a lifetime average of .318, even though 2013 was bad. And Keppinger can play 3B, 2B and 1B.

Keppinger may have some value for New York. If the Sox could move him there and get some catching depth to boot (or even a catching prospect), that would be great for the Sox!
Keppinger has 2 years on a deal, and he was dreadful last year. I don't see it.
The Yanks would be interested in Beckham, but I'd hold out for one of their real prospects; they're contenders and thus more desperate and we can wait them out. By that time, maybe Keppinger will have shown something.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg
Keppinger has 2 years on a deal, and he was dreadful last year. I don't see it.
The Yanks would be interested in Beckham, but I'd hold out for one of their real prospects; they're contenders and thus more desperate and we can wait them out. By that time, maybe Keppinger will have shown something.
There is a gamble in that strategy. While we wait, they may find a better return for their investment than a sub-1 WAR player making over $4 million.

Flip the situation around. Considering the inflated value of decent catchers, if Rick Hahn traded a catcher, even if he had a glut of them, we would expect him to do a little bit better than Gordon Beckham. If he got Jeff Keppinger, we would mutiny.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
While I agree the team is not going to be a contender no matter who the catcher is, I still think it is important to have a Major League-caliber catcher for a number of reasons. One, you should try to improve yourself after a 99-loss season. Two, a decent catcher will aid the development of the pitching staff directly and have a carry-over effect to the team in general. Three, it sends a message that a subpar performance will not be tolerated.

There is no law saying that if you improve your catcher this season that you can't do so again the future.