White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 10:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

A first-class organization wouldn't do this.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:20 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
You never hear anyone complain about what uniforms? '79? or 1906? Plenty of people complain about 1979 because they were god awful. 1906? Probably not, mostly because those were worn 108 years ago and everyone who saw them is dead now.
More people complained about the ugly 1983 uniforms than the 1979 era uniforms. I'm not saying the Whitesox should copy the 79 uniforms but I think if they tweaked them in a way how they tweaked the 83 uniforms, then they could look really nice. The 79 uniforms really weren't that bad and I think they get a bad rap due to the shorts.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post

Old 02-27-2014, 08:57 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Kind of makes you wish they would have used the '83 inspired chest stripe just in a grayscale color scheme so everything would click.
It would still look terrible, but at least there would be some degree of internal logic to it.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:31 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
What organization DOESN'T do this?

I would consider the Cardinals a first-class organization. They have multiple color and logo changes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/heritag...7626521167364/
Old 02-27-2014, 10:46 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Man oh man does the marketing department need shaken up. They are just so out of touch with the core fan base. From the reduced organ music, to the lost diamond patch, to the ditched tuxedo pants stripe, and on and on. Boyer tinkers more than Jerry Manual.

And don't tell me that the core fan base doesn't matter cause they'll always be there. A happy and enthused core is actually the best marketing tool you can have because the core will naturally market the franchise to others.

Ugh.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:46 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Sox_Summer View Post
What organization DOESN'T do this?

I would consider the Cardinals a first-class organization. They have multiple color and logo changes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/heritag...7626521167364/
Yeah but they're current uniform stock is pretty logically consistent:

I would say this is akin to every team trying to cram black into their alternate jerseys about a decade ago, regardless if it made any sense with the color scheme.

I dind't mind the '83 throwbacks as a Sunday thing, but making them an official alternate... Eh, probably too much...
Old 02-27-2014, 11:25 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoulTerritory View Post
Man oh man does the marketing department need shaken up. They are just so out of touch with the core fan base. From the reduced organ music, to the lost diamond patch, to the ditched tuxedo pants stripe, and on and on. Boyer tinkers more than Jerry Manual.

And don't tell me that the core fan base doesn't matter cause they'll always be there. A happy and enthused core is actually the best marketing tool you can have because the core will naturally market the franchise to others.

Ugh.
Our "core fan base" is toxic. No matter what is done, they will complain. It is long past time to stop trying with them, bring out as many unis as it takes to earn every last cent we need to build a winner. I don't care if the team plays in their underpants, if it sells 1 more ticket, do it.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoulTerritory View Post

Ugh.
Not a single person in the entire world who actually matters cares about the lost diamond patch or the tuxedo pants stripe. The team doesn't care. The team shouldn't care. It would be a problem if the team DID care about such incredibly minor things.

And Brooks Boyer cannot win with the people here - if he changes things (even the most minor things ever) (and which he must have reasons for, even if people here disagree), people complain (making a few minor changes in a decade is "tinkering more than Jerry Manuel"?). If he doesn't change things, people complain that he's stale.

Basically, no, White Sox marketing probably isn't perfect, but you know what? You (or at least 99% of you, you never know) can't do better. And if you think you can? Get a job doing marketing for a MLB team and prove it.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:11 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yeah but they're current uniform stock is pretty logically consistent:

I would say this is akin to every team trying to cram black into their alternate jerseys about a decade ago, regardless if it made any sense with the color scheme.

I dind't mind the '83 throwbacks as a Sunday thing, but making them an official alternate... Eh, probably too much...
I am guessing they wear them the same amount or less than they did last year.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:15 PM
WSI Regular

I'm all for having some form of alternate uniform that can be worn from time to time (and I liked doing so on Sundays because the whole thing felt contained).

But I do worry that (1) this will preclude the Sox from wearing other throw-back uniforms (don't the other years count?) either now or in the future; and (2) it will dilute the brand a bit.

I know all sports teams are doing this sort of thing to sell more hats and jerseys, it just feels like it's sort of making new uniforms up on the fly or something.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:34 PM
WSI Prelate

All this is is an attempt by the White Sox to sell more merchandise, which is fine. That's the reason they went with the batter-man hat instead of what they actually wore in 1983 (though I am curious what they will do about a helmet).

Personally, I wish they went with the 1964 uniforms as an alternate but I suspect the problem with those are that the people who remember those uniforms and would be most likely to buy that merchandise are not the target demographic.

Go Sox!!!
Old 02-27-2014, 01:41 PM
WSI Personality

Honestly who cares?

What difference does it make that the Sox have two contrasting color schemes? Why does it matter that a first class organization wouldnt do this? The season cant start any sooner, if only to give people something legitimate to complain about.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksBrokenFoot View Post
Our "core fan base" is toxic. No matter what is done, they will complain. It is long past time to stop trying with them, bring out as many unis as it takes to earn every last cent we need to build a winner. I don't care if the team plays in their underpants, if it sells 1 more ticket, do it.
I'm assuming the White Sox won't announce in advance when they plan to wear these new/old alternate uniforms and caps (in fact the team has said they aren't "Sunday" uniforms), so how will the team derive more revenue through ticket sales by having these alternate uniforms? I suppose someone could tune in to the television or radio broadcast, see or hear that the team is wearing these uniforms and say to themselves, "I have to get down to the ballpark to see this for myself (and will take my friends and family with me to witness it)," but that seems unlikely.

Revenue through merchandising? Ok. But is there any data out there which suggests that increased merchandising revenue derived though the availability of alternate uniforms/caps has significantly helped an organization "build a winner?"

On the other hand, alienating the "toxic core" (a/k/a the people who buy season tickets) doesn't sound like a viable business strategy.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
I'm assuming the White Sox won't announce in advance when they plan to wear these new/old alternate uniforms and caps (in fact the team has said they aren't "Sunday" uniforms), so how will the team derive more revenue through ticket sales by having these alternate uniforms? I suppose someone could tune in to the television or radio broadcast, see or hear that the team is wearing these uniforms and say to themselves, "I have to get down to the ballpark to see this for myself (and will take my friends and family with me to witness it)," but that seems unlikely.

Revenue through merchandising? Ok. But is there any data out there which suggests that increased merchandising revenue derived though the availability of alternate uniforms/caps has significantly helped an organization "build a winner?"

On the other hand, alienating the "toxic core" (a/k/a the people who buy season tickets) doesn't sound like a viable business strategy.
It sort of goes both ways - yes, they're probably not going to get additional ticket sales because of 1983 uniforms or the lack of tuxedo stripes or diamond sock patches. But conversely, are they losing ticket revenue? Is there anybody here (or anywhere) who has bought or will buy fewer tickets because you don't like the uniform changes?