White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2014, 10:49 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Default What's your stance and how would you change the draft compensation system?

We are now approaching the beginning of spring training, and two good to very good pitchers are still unsigned. I've heard some on talk radio suggest that one or both won't be signed until mid-June when I guess the compensation goes away. Of course, I'm talking about Jimenez and E. Santana. It seems inevitable that when they are signed, it will be for a big discount to the team, which doesn't seem fair to them. They pitched better than Bronson Arroyo and Matt Garza, but will possibly end up being paid significantly less than them. On the other hand, they had the opportunity to accept a $14 million one year contract and passed it up.

Do you side with the teams or the players in this instance? How do you think the system should be changed? Should it be changed at all? I used to hate it when the poor teams lost their stars that they developed with absolutely nothing to show for it. However, I also think that many teams cry poor, even though they are not poor and could afford to keep their players if they really wanted to. One change I think I would make is allow the player to accept the QO later. If it doesn't look like anybody wants them by, say, mid-January, they take the $14 million and try again next year. There's probably reasons why it wouldn't be a good change, but I'm not smrt enough to know them!
Old 02-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Banned

MLB needs a system where salaries for the first few years are specified based upon draft selection. If for no other reason than to stop *******s like Bora$$ from creating another Strasburg situation.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:16 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
MLB needs a system where salaries for the first few years are specified based upon draft selection. If for no other reason than to stop *******s like Bora$$ from creating another Strasburg situation.
You realize the CBA has completely changed since Strasburg was drafted, right?
Old 02-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
You realize the CBA has completely changed since Strasburg was drafted, right?
The new CBA has a watered down version of the NBA slotting system. In the NBA, each draft position is worth X salary. In the new MLB CBA, there is a set amount of money available for, IIRC, the first seven rounds. You can spend all that money on your first round pick and lose out on the other six, or allocate accordingly. Borass does not get his huge payday until the kid is arbitration eligible or the Cubs draft his client in the first round (I believe they blew most of their pool on their first round pick last year).

All hail The Rick
Old 02-10-2014, 01:13 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
The new CBA has a watered down version of the NBA slotting system. In the NBA, each draft position is worth X salary. In the new MLB CBA, there is a set amount of money available for, IIRC, the first seven rounds. You can spend all that money on your first round pick and lose out on the other six, or allocate accordingly. Borass does not get his huge payday until the kid is arbitration eligible or the Cubs draft his client in the first round (I believe they blew most of their pool on their first round pick last year).
Which I think honestly works very well, it allows teams to be flexible with their approach to the draft while ensuring top talent isn't left at the table simply because of signability issues.

From a fans' perspective, I can't see how anyone would argue against the players getting as much money from the system as possible. I get why guys like Selig and Reinsdorf and the bean counters on 35th Street are interested in making sure that they keep as much cash as they can, but as a fan of the game, I want to see the best athletes possible play baseball. I want to see the world's best talent here. So whatever makes the game more lucrative to top athletes is A-OK with me.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:06 PM
WSI Regular

The one thing I've always wanted out of the MLB Draft, is to allow teams to trade draft positions/picks.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:14 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureJazzMan View Post
The one thing I've always wanted out of the MLB Draft, is to allow teams to trade draft positions/picks.
If that were allowed, the Red Sox, Yankees and Angels would own about a dozen of the first round selections. No thank you.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:55 PM
WSI High Priest

I love the current draft system.

They should lock down the international signings the same way, including Cuban defectees and Japanese league players.

As of last year, they let them trade picks for the current international draft, and already that system is being abused by some teams.