White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 01-28-2014, 09:00 PM
34rancher 34rancher is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan View Post
Maybe they get frustrated with grown adults who fuss and moan about having them scribble things the "proper way". I'd be frustrated too.
I can't imagine what they go through. Also it's just a small snapshot of their lives. People can be in bad moods sometimes, and it shouldn't be a determination of who someone is. That being said, we have no idea if someone can't sign due to contract obligations, etc. Also, they have things like charities that count on their signatures. Who knows or cares where the money goes. I never got the big deal of a "signature" and value.
__________________
I named my bulldog DH because he's lazy.
-Ozzie
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 01-28-2014, 09:28 PM
spawn's Avatar
spawn spawn is offline
Everybody's All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: My Mother's Basement, Plainfield,Il.
Posts: 11,842
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan View Post
Maybe they get frustrated with grown adults who fuss and moan about having them scribble things the "proper way". I'd be frustrated too.
Well said, sir.
__________________


A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 01-28-2014, 09:31 PM
spawn's Avatar
spawn spawn is offline
Everybody's All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: My Mother's Basement, Plainfield,Il.
Posts: 11,842
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34rancher View Post
I can't imagine what they go through. Also it's just a small snapshot of their lives. People can be in bad moods sometimes, and it shouldn't be a determination of who someone is. That being said, we have no idea if someone can't sign due to contract obligations, etc. Also, they have things like charities that count on their signatures. Who knows or cares where the money goes. I never got the big deal of a "signature" and value.
Neither did I. I remember getting both Paul Konerko and Frank Thomas' autographs. I didn't care if the put their number on it or not (neither did) because I have no intention of selling the balls. I was just thrilled to have them sign it. And I definitely didn't critique the signature. But to each his own I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 01-28-2014, 09:39 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,345
Default

All these guys know, what they sign, where they sign it and how they sign it means value. I can see it being a pain in the butt for the signer but if they dont like to do it for free then dont do it. Take a pic with a fan instead. When people say its not about the money its always about the money.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 01-28-2014, 09:52 PM
spawn's Avatar
spawn spawn is offline
Everybody's All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: My Mother's Basement, Plainfield,Il.
Posts: 11,842
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
All these guys know, what they sign, where they sign it and how they sign it means value. I can see it being a pain in the butt for the signer but if they dont like to do it for free then dont do it. Take a pic with a fan instead. When people say its not about the money its always about the money.
Because people will say the player is "phoney" or an ******* for refusing to sign an autograph. They are pretty much damned if they do, damned if they don't.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 01-28-2014, 09:54 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
Because people will say the player is "phoney" or an ******* for refusing to sign an autograph. They are pretty much damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Well if thats the case, if you do it, do it right and not half ass it intentionally.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 01-28-2014, 09:55 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 26,098
Default

A few years back, I won a Thome autographed jersey. I walked up to him to get my pic taken with him and he autographed it in a second spot while I was wearing it.

I don't think he put a 25 or 49 or 23,345 on the autographs, I guess I should check-my kids' college tuition is riding on this....
__________________

All hail The Rick
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 01-28-2014, 09:58 PM
spawn's Avatar
spawn spawn is offline
Everybody's All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: My Mother's Basement, Plainfield,Il.
Posts: 11,842
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Well if thats the case, if you do it, do it right and not half ass it intentionally.
And how do you know if the player is intentionally half-assing it? This is one person's opinion, not a proven fact.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 01-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
And how do you know if the player is intentionally half-assing it? This is one person's opinion, not a proven fact.
Cant say all players half ass it on purpose but they all know what makes a autograph valuable.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 01-28-2014, 10:16 PM
MUsoxfan MUsoxfan is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Romeoville, IL
Posts: 9,983
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Cant say all players half ass it on purpose but they all know what makes a autograph valuable.

Why should they go out of their way to make sure people can flip their scribble for maximum cash? What do they get out of that?

Just because they made x amount of money playing baseball, doesn't mean they have to put money in a "collector's" pocket
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old 01-28-2014, 10:22 PM
ChiSoxGirl's Avatar
ChiSoxGirl ChiSoxGirl is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wishing I was on the Carnival Legend
Posts: 5,945
Default

I'm going to change the subject entirely and post the best thing about this year's SoxFest. See below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 070.jpg (86.2 KB, 61 views)
__________________
[IMG][/IMG] The 2005 World Champion White Sox: Thanks for a lifetime of memories!
Final 2014 Record: 7-8 Next Game: Opening Day 2015
I ♥ Pods; I ♥ SUMMER!!!!
Robin!


Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 01-28-2014, 10:26 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan View Post
Why should they go out of their way to make sure people can flip their scribble for maximum cash? What do they get out of that?

Just because they made x amount of money playing baseball, doesn't mean they have to put money in a "collector's" pocket

They attain self worth for doing the job to the best of their ability. Once again if they dont want to sign correctly, then dont do it.
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 01-28-2014, 10:29 PM
spawn's Avatar
spawn spawn is offline
Everybody's All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: My Mother's Basement, Plainfield,Il.
Posts: 11,842
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
I'm going to change the subject entirely and post the best thing about this year's SoxFest. See below.
Great pic Jen!
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 01-28-2014, 10:43 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29,505
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
And how do you know if the player is intentionally half-assing it? This is one person's opinion, not a proven fact.
Unfortunately, there are some guys who "tank" on their autograph. It's not subjective at all.
__________________
2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 01-28-2014, 10:45 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
I'm going to change the subject entirely and post the best thing about this year's SoxFest. See below.

Is that a back drop that was at Soxfest or did you photoshop that?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.