White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2014, 10:37 AM
WSI High Priest

Default Keith Law Top Systems: Sox Not Last!

Insider Only Link http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story...m-rankings-mlb

We are 27 out of 30, but he has good things to say. Basically indicates that if our drafts stay as good as they have, with a renewed focus internationally, we can expect to see our farm ranking grow and our depth grow.

He also mentions he did not include Abreu as a prospect, but if he did, we would be a fair amount higher.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:44 AM
WSI Prelate

Doesn't seem we're that far from 20, but we have a good ways to go to getting into the mid teens + a good Major League team. Other teams down with us have substantially better Major League teams (Oakland, Tampa, Detroit, e.g.). Seems like we lack real high end prospects.
The Astros should be the top farm - high picks and they appear to make the most of them.
Brewers seem like a basket case.
Mets are interesting - #6 without a #1 pick since 2010.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Law actually has 3 White Sox prospects in his top 100: Erik Johnson (59), Matt Davidson (88), and Tim Anderson (98).
Old 01-29-2014, 03:04 PM
WSI High Priest

I'd think we'd be a little higher than 27th after last year's draft.

But, yeah we have a long way to go to get into the top 10. Picking 3rd in every round this year will help.

I just hope we pick BPA and get them signed using creative slot management (like the Astros do) rather than the usual easy signability picks.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:59 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
I just hope we pick BPA and get them signed using creative slot management (like the Astros do) rather than the usual easy signability picks.
Now that the playing field is level I don't think signability is as big of an issue for the Sox as it was in the past, I believe since the new CBA changes have been implemented, the Sox have spent every single cent allowed in signing bonuses for the amateur draft and international free agency.

Regardless, even if the Sox don't sign their top draft pick, they would automatically get a Top 5 pick in the 2015 draft as compensation.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 01-30-2014, 04:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The White Sox have not signed an "easy signability pick" since the new CBA started. It is time to forget about Kyle McCulloch, Lance Broadway, Aaron Poreda, etc. Those days are over until some slimy agent finds a loophole.

For now, the playing field is even, the White Sox will be picking who they think to be the best player. Therein lies the problem. Will they know who the best player is?

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 01-30-2014, 04:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
The White Sox have not signed an "easy signability pick" since the new CBA started. It is time to forget about Kyle McCulloch, Lance Broadway, Aaron Poreda, etc. Those days are over until some slimy agent finds a loophole.

For now, the playing field is even, the White Sox will be picking who they think to be the best player. Therein lies the problem. Will they know who the best player is?
Both Tim Anderson and Tyler Danish were considered reach picks by most people in the scouting/prospect game, and signability could have been partly the reason why they were drafted at those spots, i.e. they would take below slot to sign.

I don't think those days are as over as we think, but it's certainly better than the McCullough, Broadway and Poreda picks.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Both Tim Anderson and Tyler Danish were considered reach picks by most people in the scouting/prospect game.
Do you have an article written by an actual scout that calls the Anderson pick a "reach"? He was at the draft for a reason and I do not remember seeing any mock drafts that did not have him as a first round pick.

Danish was consistently graded in the 51- 100 pick range. Considering we got him at #55, I don't think that was a reach either.

The days of signability picks are over. With the slot system and budget limits you get the player you want.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:24 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Do you have an article written by an actual scout that calls the Anderson pick a "reach"? He was at the draft for a reason and I do not remember seeing any mock drafts that did not have him as a first round pick.

Danish was consistently graded in the 51- 100 pick range. Considering we got him at #55, I don't think that was a reach either.

The days of signability picks are over. With the slot system and budget limits you get the player you want.
Yes, exactly, not to mention, did Anderson or Danish sign for under slot? I don't remember. And, even if the Sox did "reach" a bit for them, they also turned in a few quality picks in later rounds for some HS players with college commitments that they were able to persuade to come play professionally (thinking specifically Lowry and Michalczewski), which is a fine strategy for a team that is drafting out of the Top 15 but needs to add a massive amount of talent in their farm system. I would imagine the Sox would approach this draft differently with a Top 3 overall pick and a much deeper system.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

May was signability to pick to save money for the later rounds. That's not being cheap. It's strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 01-31-2014, 01:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

I didn't imply that Anderson was a reach in the first round, but that there were better players that could have been chosen instead.

And Danish was downgraded due to his delivery, which the Sox obviously weren't scared off by.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:33 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
And Danish was downgraded due to his delivery, which the Sox obviously weren't scared off by.
Danish is the kind of high risk/high reward player Sox fans have been clamoring for the team to draft for years. That's how these guys work, there's a very good chance he will flame out and amount to nothing in professional baseball but the reward is so great that the risk is worth it. Especially for a team like the Sox that has shown itself to be capable of both developing and protecting pitchers.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I didn't imply that Anderson was a reach in the first round, but that there were better players that could have been chosen instead.
But, there is no "cheap/signability" aspect to it. I think the front office thought he was the best or one of the best players available when we picked. Whether or not there were better players available would depend on who you talk to.

Regardless, I like the new CBA and what it has done to the draft and international signings.