White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2014, 01:40 PM
WSI Regular

Garage sales was terrible, the person pricing items has no clue as to current market values. $1500 for a Konerko jersey? $1000 for Sale? $200 for a 83 Leury Garcia? $30 Baines bobbleheads?

$200 for a Peavy signed ball and $150 fro Rios? You wouldn't sell out on those baseball at one tenth those prices.

Its a shame. There were no lines for checkout at all on Saturday afternoon
Old 01-26-2014, 02:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehosepub View Post
Garage sales was terrible, the person pricing items has no clue as to current market values. $1500 for a Konerko jersey? $1000 for Sale? $200 for a 83 Leury Garcia? $30 Baines bobbleheads?

$200 for a Peavy signed ball and $150 fro Rios? You wouldn't sell out on those baseball at one tenth those prices.

Its a shame. There were no lines for checkout at all on Saturday afternoon
Yeah, there wasn't much worth buying in the garage sale. I was looking at a couple of t-shirts and they were still in the $50 to $60 range, no thanks. And the clearance rack was basically garbage. I did, however, partake in some of the tasty free sugar-water samples they had down there.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:54 PM
WSI Guru

There was an 83 style #20 helmet marked $200 with Quentin on the tag. Fairly certain though it was Jordan Danks' helmet from last year.

The cherry Aquafina sample, whatever it was called, was quite tasty.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

WSI Confessions: When I was about 6 I shook Minnie Minoso's hand under the left field stands at Old Comiskey. He thought I was a girl. Thirty years later I can finally own up to it. It takes time people. Lol.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:45 PM
WSI Regular

Default New location in 2015?

Overheard some White Sox personnel saying next year's Soxfest may be moved to the Hilton at 720 N. Michigan Ave? Has anyone else heard of a new location for next year? I'm fairly certain it would be a welcome move!
Old 01-26-2014, 06:11 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagMan View Post
Overheard some White Sox personnel saying next year's Soxfest may be moved to the Hilton at 720 N. Michigan Ave? Has anyone else heard of a new location for next year? I'm fairly certain it would be a welcome move!
It's a great spot. Blackhawks Convention has been there every year.

Hangar18 said it's moving to South Loop Hotel???

17 Other Games I have (all season tickets):
12/16 vs. Minnesota, 12/21 vs. Toronto, 12/23 vs. Winnipeg, 1/4 vs. Dallas, 1/6 vs. Colorado, 1/16 vs. Winnipeg, 1/18 vs. Dallas, 1/20 vs. Arizona, 2/9 vs. Arizona, 2/11 vs. Vancouver, 2/20 vs. Colorado, 2/22 vs. Boston, 3/6 vs. Edmonton, 3/17 vs. New York Islanders, 3/27 vs. Columbus, 3/30 vs. Los Angeles, 4/2 vs. Vancouver
Old 01-26-2014, 06:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Did Frank Thomas ever show up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
He was an hour late to yesterday's autograph session. Word around the Palmer House was that he had to attend a funeral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
Perhaps Tebman knows if Big Hurt was around, we should ask him.
This is your SoxFest correspondent here, corresponding. I can say there was a confirmed sighting of Frank Thomas at the Saturday autograph session.

Thanks again to the guidance and good humor of ChiSoxGirl, Natalie, tstrike2000, and JB98, son-of-tebman and I enjoyed of weekend of sleep deprivation and hearty laughter. And did I mention there was a freshly-minted Hall Of Fame member there?

Good to see DumpJerry and DSpivak as well on Saturday night as we discussed the anthropological qualities of SoxFest attendees. Always an interesting topic.

Looking now for milestones: pitchers and catchers reporting, camp opening, first roster cuts, 25-man roster set, and then Opening Day. Never can come soon enough.

Let's play ball!
Old 01-26-2014, 06:36 PM
WSI Regular

Default ht

Saw this on the back of 2014 Group Outings/Party Area Calender they were giving away at the Ticket Sales Booth. Looks like 2015 SoxFest is at the Hilton Chicago on Fri Jan 23th thru Sun Jan 25th 2015.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140126_172901.jpg (93.6 KB, 54 views)
Old 01-26-2014, 08:15 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazz32 View Post
Saw this on the back of 2014 Group Outings/Party Area Calender they were giving away at the Ticket Sales Booth. Looks like 2015 SoxFest is at the Hilton Chicago on Fri Jan 23th thru Sun Jan 25th 2015.
Wow, that's huge news. I have to admit the one thing I really like about the Palmer House is that it's only a block away from the Madison L stop. I spent a total of $9 going down there and back this weekend, and I was barely outside.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:21 PM
WSI Guru

So, after being booed early on Saturday, Dunn was scheduled to participate in two additional seminars (one on Saturday, one on Sunday). He did not show up for either. On Saturday, he was replaced by Erik Johnson. I wonder if this was his choice, or if the Sox asked him not to go out there. Either way, an awkward situation that I've never seen at Soxfest.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
So, after being booed early on Saturday, Dunn was scheduled to participate in two additional seminars (one on Saturday, one on Sunday). He did not show up for either. On Saturday, he was replaced by Erik Johnson. I wonder if this was his choice, or if the Sox asked him not to go out there. Either way, an awkward situation that I've never seen at Soxfest.
Wow. I'm disappointed in Sox fans. Doesn't matter how bad he is, you don't boo a guy for showing up. That's some meatball ****.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Bold, but understandable.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:18 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazz32 View Post
Should be a venue upgrade, right? I've never been in the Palmer House, but I've been to the Hilton and that's always a nice venue.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:42 PM
WSI Guru

So, just a recap of the weekend on my end, because sometimes the Soxfest reports are almost as entertaining as the event itself. I wasn't sure if I was going to go, since we've been busy at home and I've been down on the team. I didn't purchase my tickets until Thursday night. It was a fun time, and I'm glad I went. This was my 13th in a row, and I think 14th out of 18. Enjoyed taking the L down, and the commute down couldn't be any easier.

I didn't go crazy chasing autographs, but I was able to get all of the guys I wanted. I ended up with nine total (Ventura twice, Konerko twice, Abreu, Viciedo, Beckham, Dunn and Paciorek). I was able to recycle an old Jerry Owens ball for Paciorek's autograph, and it turned out great. Ventura and Konerko of course are class acts all the way and treat everyone with respect and make eye contact and at least act like they don't mind being there. Abreu is a big kid. Viciedo looks like he may have lost a bit of weight and is in "the best shape of his career".

I met Chet Coppock in the lobby, which was pretty funny. Also rode up an elevator with Christine O'Reiley, who looked like she wanted to just go home and die. She was telling me that people get caught up complaining about one guy when there are 38 other players at the event. I can see where she's coming from.

The Bo Jackson thing was probably not handled the best way by the Sox. He has a contract which doesn't allow him to sign certain things. He was advertised as being there and signing, but only after buying your ticket and arriving, you would have found out that he was going to sign a Sox card stock promo photo. I didn't really care because I was in another line, but I can see how this would have been slightly "false advertising".

The seminars were great. I think I saw at least part of all of them except the Rick King seminar w/ Pierce and Peters to end the day on Saturday, and the rookie seminar on Sunday morning. Chuck Garfein really is the best interviewer for these type of events. He's really well prepared, informed and doesn't make the event about himself. The Laurence Holmes seminar on Saturday was more focused on getting Laurence Holmes over, and I don't really care what comic books and sci-fi movies he likes.

I picked up some cool baseball cards for 50% right before close. The Garage Sale was pretty worthless, with most of the stuff extremely over-priced and some things falsely advertised. A kid gave me a White Sox garden gnome near the Comcast booth upstairs, which was great since I missed that SGA last year and was looking for one of those. Mike Gomez does a good job with the photo table, and I ended up getting a number of the guys to sign their '83 photos from last year.

Minnie Minoso received a long standing ovation in his seminar on Saturday. I think the star of the weekend was probably Ventura. He was sharp and funny in answering his critics. Todd Steverson is impressive at least in words so far. Looks like everyone is on the same page.

I still think DeAza will get dealt before Spring Training.

Overall, it was a fun weekend and very comfortable. It was easy to get around, and the Sox did a nice job planning it out.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:00 PM
WSI Guru

As a sidebar, the Sox have sent me a survey to rate my Soxfest experience.