White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2014, 09:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Well, that's quite the hyperbolic generalization. You're equating gameday promotions and in-house entertainment with the Sox uniforms. OK.

Basically, the Sox had crappy uniforms for about 30 years and were the laughing stock of baseball because of it. In baseball, the team's identity is associated with the uniform, and the really classic franchises through major league history have maintained the same uniforms, generally (Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Tigers). It's symbolic. Baseball is about tradition.

Promotions come and go. Major league teams spend millions of dollars on marketing departments and advertising. To keep the same promotions every year shows a lack of effort. Mullet Night is just a completely horrible idea to begin with because it is based off a stereotype. To have this promotion for like ten years in a row shows an incredible amount of laziness and lack of effort. But, notwithstanding that, it seems most people are generally concerned about the lack of fresh ideas coming out of the office.

I won't pick apart everything. I don't think the uniforms should be jacked with at all. I like Elvis Night and Halfway to St. Pat's. I like bobbleheads. I think Dog Day and Mullet Night are tired ideas that should be scrapped.
If you look around the league, Dog Day is now a part of several teams' promotions. The dog portion always sells out. It has been so popular the Sox have had a couple of them a year the past few seasons.