White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 01:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryChappas View Post
Why is Thompson still considered a prospect age 24? .237 career minor league average.
He's super talented, has a lot of pop and is a plus CF. This is his make or break year though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 01-19-2014, 05:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
He's super talented, has a lot of pop and is a plus CF. This is his make or break year though.
Yah, generally prospects will stay on the list until they turn 26, just a simple rule of thumb.

That said, to say he is super talented is a reach. He does not have top 50 potential. He might be a major leaguer 1 day, but that might be a stretch. We are talking about a fringe big leaguer right now.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Yah, generally prospects will stay on the list until they turn 26, just a simple rule of thumb.

That said, to say he is super talented is a reach. He does not have top 50 potential. He might be a major leaguer 1 day, but that might be a stretch. We are talking about a fringe big leaguer right now.
We're also talking about a 24 year old, not a 34 year old. He'd be only two years removed from college had he gone that route. It seems like he's been around forever, but he still has some time left before we completely write him off.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I 100% agree with this statement. Trayce just hasn't shown anything except some pop to justify his being chosen in the second round. It's been one frustrating season after another.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 01-20-2014, 03:12 PM
WSI High Priest

If Trayce becomes a decent big leaguer, it will be with his defense and power. Nobody is expecting him to hit .300, but at the same time, he has to show more with the bat in order to warrant making a big league roster.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

I'm talking about talent. He has the second best upside of anyone in the system. He's unlikely to reach his ceiling, but it's higher than anyone outside if Hawkins.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I'm talking about talent. He has the second best upside of anyone in the system. He's unlikely to reach his ceiling, but it's higher than anyone outside if Hawkins.
I respectfully disagree with this statement.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I am shocked Danish was left off the list. I know he was used in relief during his short time here, but kid had a 6:1 K:BB, his stuff is dirty.
He's not going to get a fair shake from scouting people due to his super-unconventional delivery, which many see as limiting his ceiling.

Hopefully he has a great year at AA, and the stat guys get behind him.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:13 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
He's not going to get a fair shake from scouting people due to his super-unconventional delivery, which many see as limiting his ceiling.

Hopefully he has a great year at AA, and the stat guys get behind him.
I don't necessarily see him at AA this year, at least not to start. It would be aggressive in some eyes to start him in A+. He only threw 4 innings in low A last year.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
I don't necessarily see him at AA this year, at least not to start. It would be aggressive in some eyes to start him in A+. He only threw 4 innings in low A last year.
AA might be a stretch, but they've said they want to push him as fast as possible.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I respectfully disagree with this statement.
What other position players have the raw ability and tools? It really isn't close. Maybe Rondon defensively, but he can't hit.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Maybe Rondon defensively, but he can't hit.
Neither can Trayce.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
What other position players have the raw ability and tools? It really isn't close. Maybe Rondon defensively, but he can't hit.
Are we only talking position players?

Abreu-Davidson-Anderson-Hawkins are all better and project as big league players.

I mean heck, if you are strictly talking about "hey this guy, if everything came together, could be unbelievable" then you would have to say Mitchell has a higher ceiling still.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Are we only talking position players?

Abreu-Davidson-Anderson-Hawkins are all better and project as big league players.

I mean heck, if you are strictly talking about "hey this guy, if everything came together, could be unbelievable" then you would have to say Mitchell has a higher ceiling still.
We're talking about raw talent. Trayce is as gifted as they come. Will it translate to production? Probably not, but not many kids have his combination of power and athleticism. In what world does Mitchell have the tools of Thompson?
Old 01-22-2014, 07:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
In what world does Mitchell have the tools of Thompson?
Mitchell is a better "athlete" than Thompson.

Micah Johnson is also an impressive athlete that plays baseball. He can run and hit for power.