White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 02:00 PM
MMXXIII

Default Sox, Viciedo agree to 1-year deal, avoid arbitration

$2.8 million for 2014, which represents absolutely no raise in pay for Dayan compared to 2013.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,4856406.story

That leaves De Aza and Beckham as the only arb-eligible players yet to sign. Viciedo has 2 years left of arbitration eligibility before he can become an FA
Old 01-13-2014, 02:21 PM
WSI High Priest

I think it's a decent price for Viciedo. I'm hoping to see him drive in plenty of runs this year.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Here's to a breakout year.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:46 PM
WSI Personality

It's got to be goodbye to De Aza then right? He's got nowhere to play.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:19 PM
WSI Guru

Realistically, De Aza could platoon with Viciedo and be the 4th outfielder, but I think he needs to be shipped out to remove some of the bad karma from last year. De Aza is sort of the personification of everything that went wrong last season in terms of dumb/bad/unmotivated baseball. Jordan Danks = 4th outfielder.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 01-14-2014, 06:20 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
It's got to be goodbye to De Aza then right? He's got nowhere to play.
Not necessarily, the Sox aren't prohibited from still moving Viciedo and maybe given that he has signed for such a reasonable figure for 2014 makes him a more attractive trade target now?

I get why people want to move on from De Aza, but I think of all the potential trade targets left on this roster, there are a few guys I'd rather see go first just to see what the team dynamic would be without them, specifically, Dunn and Keppinger. I still think De Aza might make a really good 4th OF, he can play all 3 spots, runs well, has a little bit of power, but he seems to be the kind of guy who just can't physically or mentally endure the full 162-game grind so he may prove to be more valuable with built-in rest into his rotation around the OF.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Not necessarily, the Sox aren't prohibited from still moving Viciedo and maybe given that he has signed for such a reasonable figure for 2014 makes him a more attractive trade target now?

I get why people want to move on from De Aza, but I think of all the potential trade targets left on this roster, there are a few guys I'd rather see go first just to see what the team dynamic would be without them, specifically, Dunn and Keppinger. I still think De Aza might make a really good 4th OF, he can play all 3 spots, runs well, has a little bit of power, but he seems to be the kind of guy who just can't physically or mentally endure the full 162-game grind so he may prove to be more valuable with built-in rest into his rotation around the OF.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, kind of like the Sergio Santos deal, where we signed him for a decent salary which made him easier to move. The only problem is it's kind of late to move him now, since most of the teams with a need for a power bat have filled those spots already.

This also sets an interesting precedent with Boras, I'm shocked that Viciedo didn't get more, considering the usual Boras tactics, and could bode well in future negotiations.

I really wonder if De Aza will get less or more before he hits arbitration...

Maybe we'll get more clarity on the supposed LF platoon at Sox Fest.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

De Aza's numbers have declined for two straight years from his 2011 where he was a part time player. As his AB's have risen his numbers have fallen....screams over exposure. I don't even know if a platoon situation will help with Viciedo and De Aza....Look at their Splits from last year:

De Aza
------------------------------
Vs. LHP: 139 AB, .302 avg, 4 HR, .816 OPS
vs. RHP: 468 AB, .252 avg, 13 HR, .702 OPS

Viciedo
---------------------------------
Vs. LHP: 109 AB, .257 avg, 3 HR, .709 OPS
vs. RHP: 355 AB, .268 avg, 11 HR, .738 OPS

It's just one year of stats, so take it with a grain of salt.....in 2012 Viciedo hit .350/1.033 against LHP. But De Aza's career splits are about even between LHP/RHP.

If we can get something of value in return for De Aza I think we should move him....otherwise keep him around to play 3-4 days a week. Eaton hasn't shown that he can endure a full season in the Bigs anyway.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012