White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2014, 02:35 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
The team has bigger problems than Ventura. Much like Sveum, though, he's merely a placeholder. I'm not sure Renteria is anything but that, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Good, because no on hates him.
The first quote from you is not exactly a ringing endorsement of Robin and you consider him a placeholder manager. That certainly seems like Robin hate to me. Feel free to spin that whichever way you want.

Anticipated next game: Unknown
Old 01-11-2014, 03:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

When did disagreement or criticism automatically equal hate? It seems to be the case more often than not these days. Thinking RV lacks as a manager doesn't necessarily mean you hate him. In fact, I can see it entirely possible to believe that and still hold him near and dear as an all time favorite member of the White Sox.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:25 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoG19 View Post
[B]

The first quote from you is not exactly a ringing endorsement of Robin and you consider him a placeholder manager. That certainly seems like Robin hate to me. Feel free to spin that whichever way you want.
I think we are talking semantics unless you honestly believe that thinking Robin isn't qualified to be the Sox manager is the same thing as disliking (hating) Robin personally.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 01-11-2014, 05:08 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I think we are talking semantics unless you honestly believe that thinking Robin isn't qualified to be the Sox manager is the same thing as disliking (hating) Robin personally.
I believe it may be a misunderstanding at this point. When using the word "hate" on a sports forum, I never intend it or take to to mean hating the person personally. Most of us don't know the players or managers personally, so I would not take it to mean someone hates these guys personally. I use the word "hate" on a sports forum to mean that you don't like the person as a manager or player or don't think very highly of them as a player or manager.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I believe it may be a misunderstanding at this point. When using the word "hate" on a sports forum, I never intend it or take to to mean hating the person personally. Most of us don't know the players or managers personally, so I would not take it to mean someone hates these guys personally. I use the word "hate" on a sports forum to mean that you don't like the person as a manager or player or don't think very highly of them as a player or manager.
As I suspected it's a semantic argument. Yeah I get the impression Kittle doesn't think much of Robin as a manager either.

Personally I'm on the fence. He's got the right temperament, can he develop the instincts and knowledge base where making the right decision is second nature. Of course it will come down to whether he has the talent to succeed to. Great instincts won't mean **** if the team sucks...
Old 01-11-2014, 06:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
When did disagreement or criticism automatically equal hate?
It's not hate...it's hatin'. As in, "your shoes look stupid." "why you hatin'?"

Different meaning
Old 01-11-2014, 07:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
[B]

"Hating" is an overused, superlative term, thank you. That was my point. I am not spinning anything.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 01-11-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
It's not hate...it's hatin'. As in, "your shoes look stupid." "why you hatin'?"

Different meaning
IMO, Hatin' is generally based on superficial reasons or jealousy. If it becomes just a generic catch all phrase for "doesn't like this or that" regardless of if there are valid reasons it loses all meaning.

If a poster said, "Robin sucks. He's always driving around in his fancy car with his gorgeous wife and last week he wouldn't even talk to me when he was driving into the parking lot for the game." That would be hatin' on Robin and clearly motivated by jealousy and/or ego.

Saying, "I don't think Robin is a good manager (or the best manager for the White Sox)." isn't being a hater, it's having a discussion about the best path for the team.

In fact (again, IMHO) calling that disscussion, hatin' is acting like a "fanboy" - which is the opposite of hatin' where a person idolizes another person to such an extreme degree that no criticism is allowed.

I like Robin the player. I'm not convinced he's the right man to lead the White Sox. I am not convinced he's the wrong person either and am willing to give him another season or two to find out. After all the team is rebuilding anyway. If Robin doesn't advance as a manger by the time the team is ready to compete for at least a division title again then I will want someone new and that won't change my opinion of Robin the player or the person. I'll still think he's a decent guy and will have fond memories of the time he spent playing for the Sox.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:16 AM
Banned

My take on Robin is that he's a pretty poor field manager, but the White Sox are in a position to take their time and see if he can develop into something more.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
My take on Robin is that he's a pretty poor field manager, but the White Sox are in a position to take their time and see if he can develop into something more.
Agree
Old 01-12-2014, 12:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Sounds rational.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I agree- he had a good first 5 months on the job in 2012, they were .500 at the end of May, 2013- then a horrible 4 months.

2014 would present a challenge to ANY manager- lots of roster turnover with young, unproven new talent coming in- it will be interesting to see how Robin adjusts his approach for this season.

He's one of my favorite all time Whtie Sox players- and I'm rooting for him- but this is definitely a make or break season for him as a manager.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 01-12-2014, 04:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Me four.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:14 PM
WSI High Priest

It appears the Sox did go for it, which is all I wanted them to do.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:17 PM
WSI Regular

When I saw the news I was disappointed. When I saw the price, that eased the hurt a little bit. Nobody is spending that kind of money on someone who hasn't thrown a pitch in MLB except the Yankee's. At 100 mil or so Tanaka makes sense for us, but not at 171 mil. They were smart to go after him, though, and here's hoping plan B/C/D is are good ones.