White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2014, 08:14 PM
WSI High Priest

I am shocked Danish was left off the list. I know he was used in relief during his short time here, but kid had a 6:1 K:BB, his stuff is dirty.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:20 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I am shocked Danish was left off the list. I know he was used in relief during his short time here, but kid had a 6:1 K:BB, his stuff is dirty.
Lot of question marks around Danish's mechanics, his long-term durability, and his ability to reach the Majors. Not surprised to see they want to see him do it over a full professional season.

Still, this is a nice problem to have again. Seems like the last few years we've been questioning the last few selections because the Sox didn't have 10 quality prospects to make a list. Now we're questioning selections because 10 spots isn't enough. There's still a lack of true blue chip impact prospects in these parts, but at least the overall organizational depth is recovering nicely. Baby steps.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Lot of question marks around Danish's mechanics, his long-term durability, and his ability to reach the Majors. Not surprised to see they want to see him do it over a full professional season.

Still, this is a nice problem to have again. Seems like the last few years we've been questioning the last few selections because the Sox didn't have 10 quality prospects to make a list. Now we're questioning selections because 10 spots isn't enough. There's still a lack of true blue chip impact prospects in these parts, but at least the overall organizational depth is recovering nicely. Baby steps.
Agreed. I just like the kids stuff a lot. The potential is there to be really good.

I agree too on the farm system. We lack the top heavy quality, but atleast their is a little depth. Not enough, but you don't build enough through 1 year. But a few more years of this and we could be in a very nice spot.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I agree too on the farm system. We lack the top heavy quality, but atleast their is a little depth. Not enough, but you don't build enough through 1 year. But a few more years of this and we could be in a very nice spot.
No Micker Zapata on the list either which is understandable. The next draft should load us up even more with the high pick and large signing pool.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 01-09-2014, 11:07 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Agreed. I just like the kids stuff a lot. The potential is there to be really good.
Oh, I like Danish a lot, too, I just don't think BA puts as much emphasis on ceiling as some other prognosticators do, I think they try to find a balance between likely MLB impact and ceiling. Danish might have one of the highest ceilings in the system right now, but it's hard to make any real projection of his durability after only 30 innings of pro ball at the Rookie League and Low-A level.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Danish was left off because we have solid prospkects that are further along. I don't think it's a slight on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 01-09-2014, 11:35 AM
WSI High Priest

I am interested to see what they do with him next year. I wonder if they will push him as a starter, or if the goal is to convert him to a closer/RP.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:28 PM
WSI Prelate

I hope to see Micker Zapata on that list in the future.

"See you on a dark night."
Old 01-09-2014, 04:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I am interested to see what they do with him next year. I wonder if they will push him as a starter, or if the goal is to convert him to a closer/RP.
From what I've read, they want to keep him as a starter and push him through the system quickly. Either they feel he's advanced, or they want to maximize his value before his arm falls off.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Actually, of all the positions for the Sox, OF is probably the deepest.
Thanks for the in depth response!

You really think OF is the deepest? Seems like the Sox are swimming in infield prospects.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
No Micker Zapata on the list either which is understandable.
Did Zapata even play in the Sox organization last year? I can't find anything on him other than the signing news.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Did Zapata even play in the Sox organization last year? I can't find anything on him other than the signing news.
Nope, he did not play in any sanctioned games. He did participate in the fall instructional league though.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:06 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Nope, he did not play in any sanctioned games. He did participate in the fall instructional league though.
I believe he is only 17.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonage View Post
I believe he is only 17.
Yep, he was actually only 16 when he signed him.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:21 AM
WSI Regular

Why is Thompson still considered a prospect age 24? .237 career minor league average.