White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 01:41 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
That's not the young talent I'm talking about. that young talent was received in return for young talent we had.
We still need a minor league system. The good ones have twice the prospects we have. Don't deplete it for declining veterans.
The only young talent that the Sox can get any decent veterans are the newly acquired ones. The Sox will have to basically build their minor league system now from scratch.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:32 PM
Banned

I don't think this team even believes they will be going for it this season. If they did believe they were at that point, they would've canned Robin and brought in a real manager.

I loved Robin the player, but Robin the manager is a joke.

I'll be happy when he's gone after this year though as it will symbolize a new era where I expect a rebuilt Sox team to compete. Hahn deserves a solid A for this offseason. He was really left a mess and he's done something positive with it.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:10 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
I don't think this team even believes they will be going for it this season. If they did believe they were at that point, they would've canned Robin and brought in a real manager.

I'll be happy when he's gone after this year though as it will symbolize a new era where I expect a rebuilt Sox team to compete. Hahn deserves a solid A for this offseason. He was really left a mess and he's done something positive with it.
The team has bigger problems than Ventura. Much like Sveum, though, he's merely a placeholder. I'm not sure Renteria is anything but that, too.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 01-10-2014, 12:14 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
The team has bigger problems than Ventura. Much like Sveum, though, he's merely a placeholder. I'm not sure Renteria is anything but that, too.
The Sox have hired nothing but place holders for decades.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
The Sox have hired nothing but place holders for decades.
Love him or hate him, Ozzie Guillen was anything but a "placeholder."
Old 01-10-2014, 12:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
Love him or hate him, Ozzie Guillen was anything but a "placeholder."
Ozzie was a good manager until he let his mouth and his typing fingers take over.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Ozzie was a good manager until he let his mouth and his typing fingers take over.
Absolutely, but he was a total "go for it" type manager. Not a placeholder.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:27 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
Absolutely, but he was a total "go for it" type manager. Not a placeholder.
What? He had no managerial experience before getting the job with the Sox; hell, he was barely more qualified than Ventura at the time of their hire.

Really, we only sing Ozzie's praises because he happened to be the guy at the wheel during one magical season everything went right. Take away the lone and obvious outlier in his White Sox managerial tenure and he was barely above .500 with 1 playoff win to show for 7 years.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:14 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:

I like the direction they're headed. I don't think the Sox are any worse off now or in the near future than the Twins, Royals, or Indians. And I think the Tigers window as a contender is a relatively short one. In a couple years, I think we should be set up well to be a contender, at least in the division. Sometimes, like 2000, things just come together right earlier than is expected. I think that can happen in 2014, though I certainly do not expect it.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:43 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
What? He had no managerial experience before getting the job with the Sox; hell, he was barely more qualified than Ventura at the time of their hire.
He was a bench coach under a great manager, and also coached third base. That gives him more or as much experience as some recently-hired first-time managers.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:50 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Guillen was a coach for the 3 years before he got the job (including a coach of the world champions the year before he got it), and had been a ML player for the 15 years directly before that. 3 years isn't that much, for sure. But Ventura had 0 years as a coach and 8 years away from a bench as a player.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:07 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
and had been a ML player for the 15 years directly before that.
This really makes a ton of former MLB players qualified. It's really not a qualification, despite what the Sox think.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:09 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I like the direction they're headed. I don't think the Sox are any worse off now or in the near future than the Twins, Royals, or Indians. And I think the Tigers window as a contender is a relatively short one. In a couple years, I think we should be set up well to be a contender, at least in the division. Sometimes, like 2000, things just come together right earlier than is expected. I think that can happen in 2014, though I certainly do not expect it.
Since the Sox finished 29 and 23 games behind the Indians and Royals, I definitely think we are worse off than they are. At this point, the White Sox do not have one star positional player. Now we all hope that will change with Abreu and Garcia, but one or both could be stars or busts. Basically the White Sox have Sale and Santiago and a bunch of young prospects as pitchers and positional players going into next year.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Since the Sox finished 29 and 23 games behind the Indians and Royals, I definitely think we are worse off than they are. At this point, the White Sox do not have one star positional player. Now we all hope that will change with Abreu and Garcia, but one or both could be stars or busts. Basically the White Sox have Sale and Santiago and a bunch of young prospects as pitchers and positional players going into next year.
Granted, they don't have any proven commodities in terms of position players, but they've collected a number of fine young players who can all blossom into something special.

And... "Come again?"

Old 01-10-2014, 10:53 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
This really makes a ton of former MLB players qualified. It's really not a qualification, despite what the Sox think.
It doesn't hurt either and you cut off the part about him having 3 years of coaching experience on top of the 15 years of playing experience.

In the end it wasn't Ozzie's managing moves that cost him his job(s) it was his inability to control his mouth. He was a pretty good manager when he tried, but the lack of filter between his brain and mouth and bombastic personality made it impossible for teams to employ him for fear of scaring off their fan base.

Your analysis also fails the basic logic test.

Ozzie had 15 years of experience as a player. This helps qualify him to be a manager.

Does not mean...

All players with 15 years of playing experience will be qualified to be managers.

The opposite of one is not all. It's either zero or "more than one".

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...