White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2013, 12:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxNation View Post

Here's what I've got so far...

Rotation:
STAPLES: Sale-Quintana-Danks
BATTLES: Paulino, Johnson, Rienzo, Castro, Molina maybe even Beck
I don't see Simon Castro factoring into the rotation because he is viewed primarily as a bullpen guy, and not a very good one at that. Molina is coming off of surgery and has yet to establish himself in the White Sox system since the Toronto trade. The Sox claimed Eric Surkamp off of waivers recently and he might be a possible #5 starter. He has plus stuff and has succeeded on the minor league level. He is a prime "Coop Might Fix 'em" project.

Quote:
Bullpen: 4 spots, need 2 lefties
STAPLES: Jones, Lindstrom, Belisario,
BATTLES: Purcey(L), Petricka, Webb, Veal (L)
Don't forget about Scott Downs. He has a locked down spot so really, the second lefty job is likely between Purcey and Veal. Purcey had offseason surgery and has to prove he is healthy in Spring Training if he wants a shot to make the club. Neither guy is overwhelming but Veal at least has some stretches of effectiveness under his belt. I like what I saw out of Webb last year. He has pretty good command and seems to keep his poise even when he allows baserunners. This is likely due to his closing experience in AAA. I wouldn't even rule him out as a successor to Addison Reed.

Quote:
Catchers: I think this is the most intriguing battle, Nieto seems to have the lead in the #2 catcher due to the $ spent in the Rule 5 draft, he's a switch hitter and pretty good defensive player. Flowers and Phegley will battle for the #1 with most likely Phegley starting in AAA.

STAPLES: NONE
BATTLES: T. Flowers, A. Nieto(S), J. Phegley
As a previous poster pointed out, I feel a trade coming. I just can't see them heading to camp with only these three guys competing for a #1 catcher spot. Maybe the long rumored Jose Loboton trade comes to fruition closer to Spring Training.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 12-31-2013, 01:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm very interested in the catching battle thats gonna be taking place....Nieto, Flowers and Phegley arent exactly Fisk, Bench and Piazza but should be very competitve

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 01-02-2014, 06:54 PM
WSI Regular

I think going after Jason Castro would be huge
Old 01-02-2014, 07:28 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I don't see Simon Castro factoring into the rotation because he is viewed primarily as a bullpen guy, and not a very good one at that. Molina is coming off of surgery and has yet to establish himself in the White Sox system since the Toronto trade. The Sox claimed Eric Surkamp off of waivers recently and he might be a possible #5 starter. He has plus stuff and has succeeded on the minor league level. He is a prime "Coop Might Fix 'em" project.

Don't forget about Scott Downs. He has a locked down spot so really, the second lefty job is likely between Purcey and Veal. Purcey had offseason surgery and has to prove he is healthy in Spring Training if he wants a shot to make the club. Neither guy is overwhelming but Veal at least has some stretches of effectiveness under his belt. I like what I saw out of Webb last year. He has pretty good command and seems to keep his poise even when he allows baserunners. This is likely due to his closing experience in AAA. I wouldn't even rule him out as a successor to Addison Reed.

As a previous poster pointed out, I feel a trade coming. I just can't see them heading to camp with only these three guys competing for a #1 catcher spot. Maybe the long rumored Jose Loboton trade comes to fruition closer to Spring Training.
and what makes you think Lobaton is any better

.249 7 HR and 32 RBI aint exactly Fisk
Old 01-03-2014, 10:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by white sox bill View Post
I'm very interested in the catching battle thats gonna be taking place....Nieto, Flowers and Phegley arent exactly Fisk, Bench and Piazza but should be very competitve
I'm hopeful that Hahn brings a veteran FA catcher into the mix before spring training on a cheap deal.

Also, I can't see how Nieto would be ready to backup at the big league level, so maybe we can make a deal to retain his rights and send him to AAA.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:33 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I think going after Jason Castro would be huge
Ain't gonna happen, especially for whatever the Sox could offer.

IMO, he's not going to be traded, and is key piece for the Astros moving forward. They increased their payroll this year, the tank job is over.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Ain't gonna happen, especially for whatever the Sox could offer.

IMO, he's not going to be traded, and is key piece for the Astros moving forward. They increased their payroll this year, the tank job is over.
I've read in a couple places that they've been willing to deal Castro, and that they seem to think think Max Stassi is their catcher of the future.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:08 AM
WSI Prelate

We don't have the surplus talent or prospects to make deals for really good players like Castro yet.
I think Neito will be on this roster. It's my personal prediction that he's a player and that the Nats took a chance because they have 2 other prospect catchers they prefer; but even if I'm wrong about that, it's not that huge a stretch to go from A ball to equaling the offensive production of our incumbent catchers.

Backup infield spots will be interesting this spring. Wonder what they will do with L Garcia...accept that he can't hit and let him play super sub, or send him to AAA and see if he can develop his swing. He doesn't need to hit that well, considering his speed, to be an acceptable 8 or 9 hole hitter (not leadoff, Robin).
Old 01-04-2014, 02:50 PM
WSI Regular

He's not the long term answer but John Buck would be a big upgrade for a year or two, hit 15 HRs last year, is a good handler of pitchers and hits the same LH as RH. I don't want to see any more of Flowers or at least make him the Sunday day game catcher.

Buck is a free agent that I would guess would get a little more than Suzuki did, say $3 million.