White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Banned

I'm just going to say that it would be dumb to dump a ton of money into unproven rookies from overseas just as this team is about to be freed of some terrible money contracts. I'd rather see this team go through a few years of developing prospects. Once this team is ready to compete (and I mean compete for the World Series, not barely get in the wildcard), I wouldn't mind spending money to bring in a few missing pieces. The Sox did that successfully in the 04/05 offseason with Iguchi.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
It was their World Series...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Regardless....

"According to a scout who watched Tanaka pitch in the Japan Series but who asked not to be identified because he was not authorized to speak publicly about him, the volume of pitches is of some concern. “I am worried about his arm,” the scout said."
Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Japanese world series or not, 160 pitches in one game is a lot in this day and age. Could you imagine St. Louis letting Michael Wacha throw 160 pitches in any post-season game?
According to this, this guy has a LOT of innings thrown. He's thrown over 140 three times, and he's thrown 130 pitches or more in 15 of his 123 starts. That's a concern, especially if he's going to get a $100 million contract.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 12-30-2013, 12:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
I'm just going to say that it would be dumb to dump a ton of money into unproven rookies from overseas just as this team is about to be freed of some terrible money contracts. I'd rather see this team go through a few years of developing prospects. Once this team is ready to compete (and I mean compete for the World Series, not barely get in the wildcard), I wouldn't mind spending money to bring in a few missing pieces. The Sox did that successfully in the 04/05 offseason with Iguchi.

This isnt a poor cash strapped club, a bust contract like this "shouldnt" have a major affect on the future well being of the club. I sure hope that a 25 year old now will be part of the club when its ready to compete, if not then they should trade Sale now.

You also mentioned developing prospects, I think they first have to get prospects to develop and that takes time. I sure hope the Sox can compete before that.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
C'mon, lets not pretend like we all thought that Iguchi and AJ were the last missing pieces to a championship team. At the end of that off-season where we had let Maggs go, traded Carlos Lee for a speed guy and a reliever and brought in Dustin Hermannson to back up Shingo...it sure didn't look like a championship roster, even a playoff roster.

Even the most optimistic people were saying 80 something wins. It wasn't until we saw how the team pitched and how the offense clicked together when everyone took notice of how the team was built and how Ozzie was using them.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 12-30-2013, 08:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
C'mon, lets not pretend like we all thought that Iguchi and AJ were the last missing pieces to a championship team. At the end of that off-season where we had let Maggs go, traded Carlos Lee for a speed guy and a reliever and brought in Dustin Hermannson to back up Shingo...it sure didn't look like a championship roster, even a playoff roster.

Even the most optimistic people were saying 80 something wins. It wasn't until we saw how the team pitched and how the offense clicked together when everyone took notice of how the team was built and how Ozzie was using them.
That's not entirely accurate. Nobody saw 99 wins and 11 more in the playoffs coming but plenty of us felt they were good enough to compete in if not win the division. Nobody in the media seemed to think they were any good but I remember people being plenty excited they finally had a legitimate 5th starter in Hernandez, a legitimate catcher in Pierzynski, and that Willie Harris finally wasn't starting anymore.

The single greatest postgame thread ever conceived on WSI:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...ostgame+Royals
Old 12-31-2013, 10:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post

Having been on this board during that offseason, I can say the vast majority of us were excited for that upcoming season after the moves that were made. No one could have seen the team going wire-to-wire, but most of us felt the Sox were the team to beat in the Central after making those moves.

Heck, most of us felt VERY good about the team as the recurring problem in 2004 was the 5th starter. We all felt fantastic with the idea of Jon Garland being the 5th starter.

I think HomeFish might've been the only person who was pessimistic entering that season.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:35 AM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
According to this, this guy has a LOT of innings thrown. He's thrown over 140 three times, and he's thrown 130 pitches or more in 15 of his 123 starts. That's a concern, especially if he's going to get a $100 million contract.
Depends on mechanics, I have zero faith in pitch counts.

You know why there will never be another three hundred game winner?

Because agents have convinced teams that limiting starters and paying big money for relievers improves their ball club.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Sox meeting with Tanaka-

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...edium=facebook
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 01-07-2014, 06:02 PM
WSI Personality

Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
If the Sox sign Tanaka it would be the frosting on the cake of a very productive off season. It would also be a great PR move for the Sox over the Cubs organization.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
If the Sox sign Tanaka it would be the frosting on the cake of a very productive off season. It would also be a great PR move for the Sox over the Cubs organization.
I predict he is not coming to any Chicago team.

Meanwhile, Ubaldo Jimenez is out of his mind.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 01-07-2014, 08:22 PM
WSI Personality

Imagine a 1 2 of Sale and Tanaka for years to come. Ohh well wishful thinking...
Old 01-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:

Meanwhile, Ubaldo Jimenez is out of his mind.
Agreed...on both counts.

$14 Million a year for Jimenez? Yikes!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
Agreed...on both counts.

$14 Million a year for Jimenez? Yikes!
$14m won't buy you what it used to. I'd give Jimenez that much, though I probably wouldn't give him more than three years.

2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus PNC Park in Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform ó and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 01-07-2014, 09:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Hard to say. The Sox seemed to come out of nowhere to bid for Jose Abreu so let's see.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Hard to say. The Sox seemed to come out of nowhere to bid for Jose Abreu so let's see.

I agree until now they were hiding in the weeds. I can still hope.