White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 12-28-2013, 02:43 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
Save the $20 million posting fee plus the likely $100 million contract the Dodgers or Yankees will give him and use that to get a good quality catcher and decent starting pitcher.
A catcher is something we're obviously bargain shopping for. There's no one left on that market.

What decent starting pitcher? You want to spend $80 million dollars on a regressing Matt Garza? Tananka is better, younger, and his prime is still AHEAD of him. And while he'll cost a ton, relative to what top dollar players make and future salaries, he will be a bargain. I can't think of a good reason we shouldn't be in on this. This is exactly the type of core player we need to target.

edit: Hell, there's even reports that the Twins are serious about bidding on the guy.

Last edited by blandman; 12-28-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 12-28-2013, 03:14 PM
SCCWS SCCWS is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
And if you compared this to Tanaka, you'd realize what a joke of a comparison it is. Hell, Matsuzaka's best pitch, the slider, is probably Tanaka's worst everyday use pitch. Matsuzaka throws a sweeping slider, Tanaka's is a get me over strike pitch. They are different pitchers that rely on different stuff to be effective. Not one thing about their style or repertoire is similar. To imply so is to not understand the basics of pitch evaluation.


I will try one more time to help you understand the point. I am not comparing the pitches of Matsuzaka and Tanaka. My point was that the media hyped Matsuzaka before his arrival and Boston paid big bucks to get him. John Farrell even praised him mightily in the article I posted about his great pitch assortment. That is the same Farrell that just won a World Series title. But when he got here, he was good at times and very ordinary at times.
Now you have Tanaka as "Cy Young contender for the next half decade" but stats in Japan are not the same as in the majors. His actual stats in Japan place him somewhere between Darvish and DiceK. The same DiceK who is now a free agent instead of a Cy Young candidate.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 12-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Tragg Tragg is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,960
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post


I'm going to assume you're thinking of someone else. Their scouting reports were incredibly different. Just because someone gets a glowing report or two doesn't mean that the reports are the same. These are completely different players. Not even apples and oranges. This is like apples and orangutans.
Boston paid over 100 million for Matzusaka. Now, if we attach a 20% inflation rate over 6 years, that would be $120 million. How much is Tanaka getting? $200 million? He should if the skills are as divergent as you say. And they may be. The point is that Matzusaka was incredibly hyped and thus over $100 million.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 12-28-2013, 04:05 PM
mzh mzh is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,999
Default

Every report that I've read has him pegged as a solid 2-3 in the American League, and that stuff-wise he's just nowhere near Darvish. Jim Bowden compared him to a prime Dan Haren. Doesn't sound like an ace to me. Would I be surprised if had some top 10 Cy Young finishes? No, but it wouldn't surprise me either if he followed the Matsuzaka career arc.
__________________
Obligatory Attendance Record:
3-3
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 12-28-2013, 04:12 PM
Mingo Mingo is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 80
Default

Go for a Catcher - please!
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 12-28-2013, 04:41 PM
sullythered sullythered is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Oak Lawn, IL
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo View Post
Go for a Catcher - please!
Who? Nobody left.
__________________
And on the 8th day, God created churros.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 12-28-2013, 07:19 PM
palehosepub palehosepub is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Palos Park & South Loop
Posts: 490
Default

I've read that the Cubs are interested but the speculation is that Tanaka prefers not to pitch in the Midwest and is most interested in a West Coast team. But then again money can be a big influencer.

I just don't see the White Sox taking such a risk / leap of faith on a pitcher, especially one that will end up costing a $20 million posting fee and over $100 million in contract dollars.

Id bet on the Dodgers.
__________________
"Call your sons! Call your daughters! Call your friends! Call your neighbors! Mark Buehrle has a perfect game going into the ninth!"
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 12-28-2013, 08:15 PM
balke balke is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehosepub View Post
I've read that the Cubs are interested but the speculation is that Tanaka prefers not to pitch in the Midwest and is most interested in a West Coast team. But then again money can be a big influencer.

I just don't see the White Sox taking such a risk / leap of faith on a pitcher, especially one that will end up costing a $20 million posting fee and over $100 million in contract dollars.

Id bet on the Dodgers.
With Don Cooper in house, I don't see why the Sox need a move like this. Teams looking at Tanaka should need to have a talented ace because their pitching sucks. The Sox pitching is typically good.

It would be awesome if they got him or bid up the price on him. Sox really should consider just picking up players next season though with the money they have coming off of the books.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 12-28-2013, 08:47 PM
gr8mexico gr8mexico is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: BERWYN!!!!
Posts: 1,240
Default

They need to pass on Tanaka and just draft another arm with the first pick.
They should hope that Jeff Hoffman or Tyler Kolek are available.
__________________

Always looking for Game used jerseys
Check out my collection at
http://whitesoxcollectibles.webs.com/
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 12-28-2013, 08:52 PM
HomeFish HomeFish is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,932
Default

Every fan base is going nuts over Tanaka. I'm dumbfounded. In Washington, people are with a straight face proposing that the Nationals should acquire Tanaka and then trade Strasburg for a first baseman. This is the pro-Tanaka crowd's way of rebutting the "we need offense, not pitching" argument.

Tanaka went 24-0 with a 1.24 ERA in Japan. He's probably not that bad. But Japanese players coming over to MLB have been more miss than hit. Perhaps Tanaka is different because he's still relatively young, but I think the smart money is on Tanaka underperforming his contract.

It's true that the Sox don't have better ways to use that $20 million this year. There are no more desirable FAs left and its a while before the Sox have to worry about locking anyone up long-term. But keep in mind that Tanaka will likely command a long deal, and that $20 million/year might seriously hamper the team in a few years.

EDIT: The KW thing to do, of course, is wait until Tanaka underperforms with his first team, then snatch him up and have Coop fix him, a la Contreras.
The entire free agent market right now is insane, but this might be second only to the Cano contract.
__________________
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 12-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Mingo Mingo is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
Who? Nobody left.
From what I understand - a trade for one of the catchers the Yankees have stashed - Gary Sanchez maybe.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 12-29-2013, 08:36 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 47,971
Blog Entries: 9
Default

I am reopening this thread because I agree with the poster who brought it to my attention that the racial stuff distracted and ended an otherwise good discussion.

The next person who injects race into this discussion won't post here until April. The decision on WHO that person is will lie SOLELY with me.

So if you cry racism in complaint to a fellow poster's reply you had damned well better hope I agree with you when I return.

I see nothing wrong with having a discussion pointing out that many highly hyped prospects from Japan have not panned out. It isn't racism to state that simple fact.

Carry on and play nice. Please don't make me return and bust out my ban hammer. I'm still on vacation...
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12-30-2013, 09:38 AM
Mingo Mingo is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 80
Default

Just curious - which is deemed a higher level of baseball play - Cuba or Japan?
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 12-30-2013, 11:29 AM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 29,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo View Post
Just curious - which is deemed a higher level of baseball play - Cuba or Japan?
I would assume Japan.
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 12-30-2013, 11:49 AM
spawn's Avatar
spawn spawn is offline
Everybody's All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: My Mother's Basement, Plainfield,Il.
Posts: 11,810
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I would assume Japan.
I believe it is as well.
__________________


A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.