White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2013, 09:10 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Reading Keppinger's name makes me throw up.
come on now give the guy a break..............
Old 12-22-2013, 08:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Listening to White Sox Weekly on the Score yesterday- one of the guys (Phil Rogers?)- mentioned a few times that Keppinger had some pretty serious "personal issues" last season that really impacted him- I hadn't heard anything- but could explain such a drop off.

I'm with the crowd saying he comes up based on his arbitration clock- for the Sox the ideal situation is that Keppinger and Dunn both get off to good starts- and based on injuries to contending teams- both generate some trade value- when both are off the roster- Davidson and a utilility IF get called up to balance out the roster.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 12-22-2013, 08:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Keppinger + Gillaspie was the worst platoon in the history of platooning last season. There's no pressure on Davidson -- the Sox are expected to finish 4th (at best) in the Central. Let's see what we got.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think it is easy for people to forget that MLB players are not automatons that perfectly reflect their stats at all times. In a time when so many numbers are available with a click of the mouse it is easy to think all of the answers are on the spreadsheet. So far the game is still played by human beings with good days and bad days, tangibles and intangibles. That doesn't mean to say that I care of Keppinger is back or not

I know when I managed my team in a tight, game-win/lose situations it was not necessarily my best numbers guy I wanted up. It was the guy who had a knack for getting on base under pressure and when it mattered the most.

I wouldn't mind if the umps were automatons, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Listening to White Sox Weekly on the Score yesterday- one of the guys (Phil Rogers?)- mentioned a few times that Keppinger had some pretty serious "personal issues" last season that really impacted him- I hadn't heard anything- but could explain such a drop off.

I'm with the crowd saying he comes up based on his arbitration clock- for the Sox the ideal situation is that Keppinger and Dunn both get off to good starts- and based on injuries to contending teams- both generate some trade value- when both are off the roster- Davidson and a utilility IF get called up to balance out the roster.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
mentioned a few times that Keppinger had some pretty serious "personal issues" last season that really impacted him- I hadn't heard anything- but could explain such a drop off.
Interesting. I hadn't heard that but Keppinger has Tweeted a lot of quotes about overcoming adversity, etc. If he was going through some issues, that certainly could explain his tweets and possible performance drop off.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 01-02-2014, 07:51 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Interesting. I hadn't heard that but Keppinger has Tweeted a lot of quotes about overcoming adversity, etc. If he was going through some issues, that certainly could explain his tweets and possible performance drop off.

The adversity was his .268 BAbip
Old 01-02-2014, 09:58 PM
WSI Regular

Keppenger's wife Morgan filed for divorce in November 2011. The Rays placed him on the restricted list in May 2012 so he could attend to the still unresolved dispute.
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/c...ivorce-hearing
Then there was a custody battle over their two young children, which appears to have stretched into the 2013 season.

And, don't forget, in November 2012 he broke his leg:
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...n-fall-at-home