White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
To you and me 240 million would mean everything but this guy probably already has close to a half a billion dollars. I think Jeter, Rivera, Posada and millions of Yankee fans will disagree about this mystique thing too. I'm not a Yankee fan but I gotta admit I do admire their history and as big of jerks as the fans are they are true baseball fans.
Cano has 500 million dollars? Umm...no.

Also, that's 3 Yankees players out of how many Yankees on this current team? Pretty sure the remainder couldn't care less about the "Yankee Mystique".

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 12-14-2013, 01:41 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
I doubt it. He's got a ring. Now he's got the money too. Players don't put much emphasis in loyalty to one team for their careers. It's all about the money.
Maybe your right, but sometimes I think these players have some kind of tunnel vision because when Pujols and Hamilton left alot of fans knew it was a mistake yet these players don't realize how big of a mistake they made. I beleive Pujols is finished mainly because of his age but I also think part of his problem is he can't have the big ego anymore and thats taken part of his confidence away.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Maybe your right, but sometimes I think these players have some kind of tunnel vision because when Pujols and Hamilton left alot of fans knew it was a mistake yet these players don't realize how big of a mistake they made. I beleive Pujols is finished mainly because of his age but I also think part of his problem is he can't have the big ego anymore and thats taken part of his confidence away.
A lot of these fans weren't offered the contracts that Hamilton and Pujols were. Also, the Angels are a pretty first rate organization with a recent history of success. It's not like they signed to play for the Royals.

The whole ego argument is pretty ridiculous.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
This is what Lebron James fans say.
And they are right.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 12-14-2013, 03:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
No, he regrets how he did it. He's got two championships. He doesn't regret leaving.
You beat me to it.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:03 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Maybe but I doubt that will be the case. Lebron has already mentioned how he did the wrong thing and believe me Cano will too.
LeBron's regrets have more to do with the ridiculous "Decision" TV show, not the fact that he moved from Cleveland to Miami and has lead the Heat to 2 straight titles.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:24 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
No 31 year old is worth 240 million for 10 years unless they are on steroids. He'll fizzle out and the Mariners wil become a laughing stock again while the Yankees thrive again. I can see why he would take the money but again someday I feel he will regret it. I would think no money in the world can match the experiance of walking back into Yankee stadium and getting a standing ovation when your 70 years old. He'll never experiance this.
Derek Jeter's 10-year, $189 million contract stood out much more in the baseball world when he signed it in 2001 than does Cano's deal with Seattle now. Although Jeter was 27 at the time and Cano will be 31 when he makes his Mariners debut.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:31 PM
WSI High Priest

I have to admit, I am enjoying some of the pain that Yankee fans are feeling, the same pain that their team has given to countless other fans across MLB over the years. They are probably right about Cano never winning again, but the venomous wishes for a career-ending injury are over the top.

SMO
Old 12-15-2013, 12:36 AM
WSI Personality

So here's to you, Mr. Robinson, take the cash and tell the fans to go... straight to hell...
Old 12-15-2013, 01:22 AM
WSI Prelate

Hope these people thought it was worth it to become famous for the wrong reasons.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:56 PM
WSI Guru

On mediocrity in the Bronx.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...w-york-yankees
Old 12-18-2013, 10:51 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
That's a great piece by Jazayerli. What's striking is the contrast between Pedroia's extension/renegotiation and Cano's free agency:

Pedroia
2014 - 2021 : $110M

Cano
2014 - 2020 : $170M offer from NY
2014 - 2022 : $225M offer from Seattle
2014 - 2023 : $240M Seattle

This has to be fueling the Yankee fan talk of "loyalty." As Jazayerli points out, these fans are going to have to get used the the idea of a budget and bad baseball.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:10 AM
WSI High Priest

The one thing I agree with Red Sox fans about is that Yankees fans are spoiled beyond their own awareness. They have had a near 20-year run in which they have operated at their own level, which now seems to be coming to end. So far, they are not doing well at facing that reality.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
The one thing I agree with Red Sox fans about is that Yankees fans are spoiled beyond their own awareness. They have had a near 20-year run in which they have operated at their own level, which now seems to be coming to end. So far, they are not doing well at facing that reality.
No, most Yankee fans are not doing well in that regard. And, meanwhile, the Yankees just keep getting older and more expensive.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:53 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Ken Rosenthal
Cano’s deal with the Mariners, does not include an opt-out clause; a source close to the negotiations described the contract as “a 10-year partnership and commitment by both sides.”

His priority at age 31 was length of contract, even over average annual salary. What’s more, an opt-out might not have been as lucrative for him at 34 or 35.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/o...ariners-011914
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>