White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-18-2013, 05:11 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,198
Blog Entries: 5
Default HOF expert predicts only Maddux makes it this year

Ugh

http://deadspin.com/hall-of-fame-exp...ake-1485143589
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-18-2013, 07:14 AM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 26,017
Default

Oh well. Might as well cancel the voting-it'll be a waste of time and money.
__________________

All hail The Rick
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-18-2013, 07:36 AM
chicagowhitesox1 chicagowhitesox1 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora Illinois
Posts: 1,036
Default

I think Maddux and Thomas both get in but I can see why this guy feels only Maddux gets in.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-18-2013, 07:59 AM
SI1020 SI1020 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Deep in the heart of Dixie
Posts: 4,412
Default

Only 7% of the vote for Mussina?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-18-2013, 10:53 AM
spawn's Avatar
spawn spawn is offline
Everybody's All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: My Mother's Basement, Plainfield,Il.
Posts: 11,779
Blog Entries: 3
Default

The sad thing is, this wouldn't surprise me.
__________________


A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-18-2013, 11:10 AM
jdm2662 jdm2662 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 7,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
The sad thing is, this wouldn't surprise me.
That makes two of us.
__________________
4-time WSI NFL Pick 'em vs Spread Champion
2009 2010 2011 2013
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Boondock Saint Boondock Saint is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Joliet
Posts: 19,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
The sad thing is, this wouldn't surprise me.
I think that's what most of us are feeling.

This voting process is a ****in' joke.
__________________
Rock over London. Rock on, Chicago.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-18-2013, 04:53 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,133
Default

I could see that happening...but it would just be stupid. Obviously Thomas and Glavine are HOFers so vote 'em in, for crying out loud.
__________________
A bad idea is better than no idea at all- Hawk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-18-2013, 05:25 PM
sox1970 sox1970 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 7,950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I could see that happening...but it would just be stupid. Obviously Thomas and Glavine are HOFers so vote 'em in, for crying out loud.
It's obvious more than 10 of the players on the ballot are Hall of Famers.

The whole thing is a sham.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-18-2013, 05:29 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
It's obvious more than 10 of the players on the ballot are Hall of Famers.

The whole thing is a sham.
Whoa, I hadn't looked at the list. You might be right.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-19-2013, 07:00 AM
white sox bill white sox bill is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Madeline Island in Lake Superior
Posts: 3,208
Default

Hall of the Very Good maybe, will Frank get snubbed this ballet because he was mostly a DH? If so, should that be valid reason?? Isnt DH, although not a position, a creditable status? Or will it be disounted due to the obvious?

Time will tell....we all know he a HOF'er
__________________
"Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weights" Ronnie Coleman Mr Olympia

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-20-2013, 01:19 PM
Milw Milw is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Naperville
Posts: 946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by white sox bill View Post
Hall of the Very Good maybe, will Frank get snubbed this ballet because he was mostly a DH? If so, should that be valid reason?? Isnt DH, although not a position, a creditable status? Or will it be disounted due to the obvious?

Time will tell....we all know he a HOF'er
Thomas played 58% of his games at DH. While that technically qualifies as "most," he still played 971 games at 1B. That is not an insignificant number.

Regardless, it's a dumb debate. It's not like Thomas wouldn't have had a similar career had he played in a world without the DH. Maybe he plays a handful fewer seasons in that world -- maybe he retires in 2003 or 2004 instead of 2008 -- but it's not like those last five seasons of mediocrity were the difference in his HOF credentials.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-21-2013, 09:58 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
Thomas played 58% of his games at DH. While that technically qualifies as "most," he still played 971 games at 1B. That is not an insignificant number.

Regardless, it's a dumb debate. It's not like Thomas wouldn't have had a similar career had he played in a world without the DH. Maybe he plays a handful fewer seasons in that world -- maybe he retires in 2003 or 2004 instead of 2008 -- but it's not like those last five seasons of mediocrity were the difference in his HOF credentials.
Thomas was almost exclusively a DH after 2000, which was his last .300 season. The great offensive seasons that will get Thomas into the Hall of Fame when he was mostly a first baseman.

Some might not enthusiastically back Thomas for the Hall of Fame because they saw him play so many years with diminished skills. I've talked to non-White Sox fans who are iffy about Thomas in the Hall of Fame because the Thomas they saw play was the 21st century mostly DH and not the 20th century mostly first baseman.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-21-2013, 11:12 PM
Milw Milw is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Naperville
Posts: 946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Thomas was almost exclusively a DH after 2000, which was his last .300 season. The great offensive seasons that will get Thomas into the Hall of Fame when he was mostly a first baseman.

Some might not enthusiastically back Thomas for the Hall of Fame because they saw him play so many years with diminished skills. I've talked to non-White Sox fans who are iffy about Thomas in the Hall of Fame because the Thomas they saw play was the 21st century mostly DH and not the 20th century mostly first baseman.
My point is that had he played in a world without the DH he would have been playing 1B well past 2000 because his bat was still so valuable. That the DH existed shouldn't be held against him.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-22-2013, 04:50 AM
SephClone89 SephClone89 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 5,976
Default

Hurt isn't just a Hall of Famer--he's a pretty inner circle Hall of Famer. One of the 10-15 best RH hitters ever.

Hope to make it to Cooperstown (maybe combined with Fenway/Boston) when he gets in.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.