White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 11:53 AM
WSI Guru

Appa:

The games were broadcast I think by the home team only. When it was at Wrigley it would be on WGN-TV Superstation. I have in my library the 86, 90 and 92 games.

And the thumbnail that Nell sent earlier in the thread is from the game on June 25, 1964 where fans were permitted on the field for the last time in MLB history for any game.

Lip
Old 12-16-2013, 09:59 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
In the 50 and 60s the Sox and Cubs played an annual exhibition game usually in June or July, it was called the Boys Baseball Benefit Game. I've followed the Sox since the early 50s and this picture of the 1964 game is the largest crowd I've ever seen at Comiskey. I took my high school girlfriend to that game and as you can see fans were actually standing on the field from CF to the right field foul pole. We sat in an aisle and they were packed as well, there was no place to move in the park. The game was always played at Comiskey because they would draw more at night. If you look at the scoreboard the Cubs were the home team that night but the Sox creamed them like 11-4. Any ball hit into the fans on the field was a ground rule double. Open up the attachment to see the size of the crowd.

In the first half of the century the Sox and Cubs would play the City Series after the regular season, I believe it went on during the World Series. Some years it wasn't played since the Cubs made the World series a few times.
Here is a history of that Series. The Sox won most of the time.
http://www.csnchicago.com/06/20/11/A...blockID=536044
The link doesn't work anymore. I can't recall if that link you posted listed each year's results or not. Would be great if there was a source that listed the results of all the games.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
The won-loss record might not be found. The Cubs usually played several of their AAA players while the Sox would play their regular players. This gave the Sox the advantage.
Yeah, I remember that being a complaint by Cubs fans during that era. The Sox won pretty much every game. If not every game.

I did go to one of the 1980's games with my dad. I remember some Cubs fan accidentally spilling his beer all over him.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:48 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by apbaball View Post
The link doesn't work anymore. I can't recall if that link you posted listed each year's results or not. Would be great if there was a source that listed the results of all the games.
I think Lindberg's books have the results of those games.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 12-16-2013, 09:13 PM
WSI Guru

The most recent Lindberg revision to the Sox Encyclopedia does have all of the city series results through 1995 (there was no game in '96, and of course interleague started in '97 with results easily found on retrosheet).

I'm not going to retype them all.

Between 1949-1972, they played a "Boys Benefit Game". From 1985-1995 was the Crosstown Classic Series.

I forgot about this, but there were two games in '95 as the strike was winding down:

1995 Gm 1: Sox 6 - Cubs 3
1995 Gm 2: Sox 6 - Cubs 2
1994: Sox 4 - Cubs 4 (Jordan game)
1993: Sox 4 - Cubs 3
1992: Sox 5 - Cubs 0
1991: Sox 7 - Cubs 2
1990: Sox 6 - Cubs 5
1989: Sox 5 - Cubs 4
1988: Sox 6 - Cubs 6 (15 innings, Lyons played all 9 innings, called due to darkness? as lights didnt happen until 8/8/88)
1987: Sox 10 - Cubs 6 (this was the fog game)
1986: Sox 3 - Cubs 0
1985: Sox 7 - Cubs 4 (first game of series at Old Comiskey)

1981: Mayor's Series during the strike:
Gm 1: Aug 7 @ Comiskey, Cubs and Sox tie
Gm 2: Aug 8 @ Wrigley, Cubs won

Then before that, the last game was 1972: Cubs 3 - Sox 1

The remaining results are in the Lindberg book with game write-ups too.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:28 AM
WSI Personality

The only Youtube vids I can find of these is the Michael Jordan game. Has anyone found other editions online? I'm very curious about the 1995 2-fer, I don't remember that at all, and I'm a pretty dedicated fan. Weird.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:47 AM
WSI Regular

I know a few people who have recordings of the second 1981 game as well as the 1985, 1987, and 1989 games. Obviously the first 1981 game would be preferable as the Sox lost the second game.

I have a partial recording of a 1971 pre-season radio broadcast between the Sox and Cubs but unfortunately, the Cubs won that one. There are a couple of radio recordings from the 1936 series available but nothing that I know of from the 1950s or 1960s.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

I remember when these games started up again in 1985, always being nervous in the days before and during the game itself, as it was the one day a year I hoped the Sox could put the Cubs fans in their place. The first one in '85 was nerve racking for me, because a lot of the kids at my high school were Cub fans, and the Cubs had enjoyed the success of 1984, so I got a lot of grief about how the Sox sucked, Cubs were going to show them who the real team was, etc. As the Sox won each and every one of those (except for the tie in '88), I remember being relieved, and not hearing much from the Cubs fans.

I also went to the glorious 1991 game, when the Sox spanked the Cubs 7-2, and after the game, the scoreboard showing a picture of the Cubs shoulder logo, the "cute" Cubby face, with a circle and line drawn through it, like Ghostbusters. It was so hilarious, my dad took a photo of it, and had the picture blown up and framed in his basement.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
As the 1985 season approached, WGN would show a commercial of Tony LaRussa calling Jim Frey to challenge him to a game. It was the Busch Beer Crosstown Classic. There was a lot of hype around it, to be played at Comiskey in April. After the Sox won, there were even bumper stickers made to commemorate the victory.
Fun Fact: I am pretty sure that neither manager finished the season with their club in 1985.

SMO
Old 12-18-2013, 06:24 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillMissOzzie View Post
Fun Fact: I am pretty sure that neither manager finished the season with their club in 1985.

SMO
LaRussa was fired by the Hawk in mid-season of 1986.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
As the 1985 season approached, WGN would show a commercial of Tony LaRussa calling Jim Frey to challenge him to a game. It was the Busch Beer Crosstown Classic. There was a lot of hype around it, to be played at Comiskey in April. After the Sox won, there were even bumper stickers made to commemorate the victory.

Wrigley would host the game in even numbered years. After a coupla years, Gatorade took over the sponsorship and renamed it the Gatorade Windy City Classic. One of the Wrigley games, in 88, went 16 innings, and was called due to darkness, resulting in a draw. The lights were already up, but they couldn't be used yet.

The series lost all its hype by the time the 90s rolled around, and people became apathetic to these exhibitions, which would sometimes feature AA starting pitchers.

No one missed this series when it was gone, and then it would be replaced by interleague play in 1997, which has also lost its initial hype.
IIRC there was maybe 2 commercials, one Tony calling Frey late in the day and waking him up(cause Frey always had day games and Tony had evening games) and vice versa, each challenging the other .

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 12-18-2013, 09:24 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Wrigley would host the game in even numbered years. After a coupla years, Gatorade took over the sponsorship and renamed it the Gatorade Windy City Classic. One of the Wrigley games, in 88, went 16 innings, and was called due to darkness, resulting in a draw. The lights were already up, but they couldn't be used yet.

The series lost all its hype by the time the 90s rolled around, and people became apathetic to these exhibitions, which would sometimes feature AA starting pitchers.

No one missed this series when it was gone, and then it would be replaced by interleague play in 1997, which has also lost its initial hype.
Jerry Kutzler was a Cub killer in the early 90's.

My Crosstown Game memories:

• 1987 game was played at Comiskey Park. Fog bank rolled in and was so thick you could only see the right fielder from the knees down from the third base grandstand. Sox built up 10-0 lead and brought in Bobby Thigpen for an inning of work. He gave up six in the top of the 9th and left runners on second and third before getting the last out.
  • 1988 game went extra innings and finished in a tie since both clubs ran out of pitchers. Final pitchers were Steve Lyons for the Sox, Jim Sundberg for the Cubs. That game lasted so long I left Wrigley Field sober.
  • 1990 game was a one run win with Dave Gallagher throwing out a Cubs catcher (can't recall if it was Rick Wilkins or Rick Wrona, they are all so forgettable) for the final out of the game to save the victory.
  • 1997, first game at Comiskey Park II. Both teams wore throwback uniforms to 1906 World Series. Don't recall the score. Just remember the "Both Teams Suck" chant that started in the bleachers about midway through the game. Priceless.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
Jerry Kutzler was a Cub killer in the early 90's.

My Crosstown Game memories:

• 1987 game was played at Comiskey Park. Fog bank rolled in and was so thick you could only see the right fielder from the knees down from the third base grandstand. Sox built up 10-0 lead and brought in Bobby Thigpen for an inning of work. He gave up six in the top of the 9th and left runners on second and third before getting the last out.
If I remember correctly, the Cubs erupted for their six runs after there were two out and no one on in the 9th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
1990 game was a one run win with Dave Gallagher throwing out a Cubs catcher (can't recall if it was Rick Wilkins or Rick Wrona, they are all so forgettable) for the final out of the game to save the victory.
Steve Lyons played all nine positions in this game.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
LaRussa was fired by the Hawk in mid-season of 1986.
Yeah, Lip already called me out via PM on this one. And they say the memory is the first to go...

SMO