White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #106  
Old 12-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Tragg Tragg is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,851
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
With Chris Perez, John Axford, Grant Balfour, Fernando Rodney, and Jose Veras all free agents with not a ton of places to go, I wouldn't be surprised to see us buy low on a veteran closer. There's a ton on the relief market this offseason.
And then flip him in July.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 12-16-2013, 05:50 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34 Inch Stick View Post
I wonder with all the low paid and controlled players the Sox are acquiring as well as the opening in the rotation, if the Sox would at least put up the $20 million for Tanaka bidding
Plus the money coming off the books next year...it's starting to look to me like Hahn's got a hell of a plan. He didn't want to do too much last year, but he seems to have had a long term vision that he's nailing right now. If he can grab us a quality rotation arm and dump Dunn, I am prepared to hail him as king. I've spent the last year looking at this roster wondering how they could possibly turn it around, just like most of WSI. I'm impressed, I have to say. There's still a way to go, but for one off season and going back to the tradeline, you've got to like it. The only player I'm really going to miss is Santiago, but you've got to give something to get something. Even if the Sox go with a 90 million payroll this year, really this is a 120+ payroll team. He's going to be swimming in flexibility the next few years.
__________________
A bad idea is better than no idea at all- Hawk

Last edited by TheVulture; 12-16-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 12-16-2013, 05:51 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
And then flip him in July.

Unless we're in it.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 12-16-2013, 06:05 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Did anyone rank Gillespie ahead of Davidson? San Fran basically gave him to us. ...
In the Giants system, Gillaspie was blocked by Pablo Sandoval at third. The only other position he played was first. Every time the Giants acquired a bat, it seemed to be someone whose defensive skills were so weak that they stuck him at first, blocking all prospects but Brandon Belt. The Giants traded him because he ran out of options.

No one ever ranked Gillaspie ahead of Matt Davidson, but Chris Carter's prospect ranking was 28 by Baseball America before the 2010 season, and he has been unimpressive in parts of four seasons.. Matt Davidson has never been ranked higher than 88. I don't know that he is ready to play third base in the majors fulltime.

If you look at the 2013 Davidson had for Reno and the 2012 Gillaspie had for Fresno, they are quite similar except that Davidson hit a lot more doubles and struck out a lot more. Gillaspie also played a better third base. I'm not suggesting Davidson doesn't have a higher ceiling. I would love to see Davidson give me a reason to get excited about the White Sox upgrading at third base, but he has to show me something first. And I'm not certain I'll see it in 2014.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 12-16-2013, 06:06 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 16,791
Default

I love this trade for us, absolutely.
__________________
People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 12-16-2013, 06:20 PM
Boondock Saint Boondock Saint is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Joliet
Posts: 18,921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I don't. Facebook kills me enough. When they signed Abreu, someone said, "Good signing, but I'm not going to a game until they bring AJ back!"
But you have to realize that those people aren't like us. We're fans of baseball, not baseball players. Some people just want to be part of the crowd, so they just throw stupid stuff like that out there so that they can be seen/heard.

edit: Just to stay on topic, I love this deal. Really love it. If there's an expendable player on any roster, it's the closer, and what we got for ours should be considered robbery.
__________________
Rock over London. Rock on, Chicago.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 12-16-2013, 06:35 PM
FoulTerritory FoulTerritory is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 638
Default

We just traded a high ERA closer for a top 100 prospect who plays a position of need. Holy Crap. Awesome!
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 12-16-2013, 06:51 PM
#1swisher #1swisher is online now
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 60610
Posts: 16,158
Default

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN
#WhiteSox won't name replacement for closer Addison Reed but candidates include: Lindstrom, Jones, Daniel Webb. http://bit.ly/IQHHch
__________________
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 12-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
If you look at the 2013 Davidson had for Reno and the 2012 Gillaspie had for Fresno, they are quite similar except that Davidson hit a lot more doubles and struck out a lot more. Gillaspie also played a better third base. I'm not suggesting Davidson doesn't have a higher ceiling. I would love to see Davidson give me a reason to get excited about the White Sox upgrading at third base, but he has to show me something first. And I'm not certain I'll see it in 2014.
One never really knows about a prospect till he plays for awhile in the majors. Davidson will be barely 23 when the season starts, where he starts the season we dont know. I am not really too concerned about what will be seen in his 1st year. This coming year the Sox dont need players that will step right in because this team wont compete. Getting prospects is always a roll of the dice, some will make it and some wont. This kid has been touted so I guess that means his chances are higher than others. What the Sox are doing is getting a higher probability type of prospect to make the majors. What will come from it, no one knows but its really the only way they can go.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 12-16-2013, 07:08 PM
sullythered sullythered is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Oak Lawn, IL
Posts: 4,332
Default

Taking a step back, I am amazed at what Hahn has been able to pull off this offseason. I would still like to see a major league catcher on the roster, but still, jeez...
__________________
And on the 8th day, God created churros.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 12-16-2013, 07:25 PM
XplodingScorbord's Avatar
XplodingScorbord XplodingScorbord is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 367
Default

Saw this from the White Sox Google+ page from Hahn on our new guy:

On Davidson’s potential: “We feel Matt has the potential to be a middle-of-the-order run producer for a long time with us. He was young for the Triple-A level last year. We feel when he does get here [to the major leagues], he will be here for a long time.” (emphasis mine)
__________________
**Xploding Scorbord**
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 12-16-2013, 07:37 PM
oldcomiskey oldcomiskey is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ripley, Ms.
Posts: 1,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Solid move by Hahn.

Power potential 3B prospect over mediocre closer.

Solid.
whats mediocre about a guy who saved 40 games on a team that won only 63
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 12-16-2013, 07:42 PM
oldcomiskey oldcomiskey is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ripley, Ms.
Posts: 1,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Plus the money coming off the books next year...it's starting to look to me like Hahn's got a hell of a plan. He didn't want to do too much last year, but he seems to have had a long term vision that he's nailing right now. If he can grab us a quality rotation arm and dump Dunn, I am prepared to hail him as king. I've spent the last year looking at this roster wondering how they could possibly turn it around, just like most of WSI. I'm impressed, I have to say. There's still a way to go, but for one off season and going back to the tradeline, you've got to like it. The only player I'm really going to miss is Santiago, but you've got to give something to get something. Even if the Sox go with a 90 million payroll this year, really this is a 120+ payroll team. He's going to be swimming in flexibility the next few years.
guys, Dunn is NOT, repeat NOT going anywhere until 2014
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 12-16-2013, 07:54 PM
GoSox2K3 GoSox2K3 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
One never really knows about a prospect till he plays for awhile in the majors. Davidson will be barely 23 when the season starts, where he starts the season we dont know. I am not really too concerned about what will be seen in his 1st year. This coming year the Sox dont need players that will step right in because this team wont compete. Getting prospects is always a roll of the dice, some will make it and some wont. This kid has been touted so I guess that means his chances are higher than others. What the Sox are doing is getting a higher probability type of prospect to make the majors. What will come from it, no one knows but its really the only way they can go.
Yeah, maybe. But, isn't easier to just get a "I'm not impressed with him" placeholder comment in now so that you can tell everyone "I was one of the few people who told you so" if he does turn out to be a bust?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 12-16-2013, 07:59 PM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,776
Default

Love it.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.