White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2013, 05:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
With Chris Perez, John Axford, Grant Balfour, Fernando Rodney, and Jose Veras all free agents with not a ton of places to go, I wouldn't be surprised to see us buy low on a veteran closer. There's a ton on the relief market this offseason.
And then flip him in July.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34 Inch Stick View Post
I wonder with all the low paid and controlled players the Sox are acquiring as well as the opening in the rotation, if the Sox would at least put up the $20 million for Tanaka bidding
Plus the money coming off the books next year...it's starting to look to me like Hahn's got a hell of a plan. He didn't want to do too much last year, but he seems to have had a long term vision that he's nailing right now. If he can grab us a quality rotation arm and dump Dunn, I am prepared to hail him as king. I've spent the last year looking at this roster wondering how they could possibly turn it around, just like most of WSI. I'm impressed, I have to say. There's still a way to go, but for one off season and going back to the tradeline, you've got to like it. The only player I'm really going to miss is Santiago, but you've got to give something to get something. Even if the Sox go with a 90 million payroll this year, really this is a 120+ payroll team. He's going to be swimming in flexibility the next few years.

Last edited by TheVulture; 12-16-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
And then flip him in July.

Unless we're in it.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Did anyone rank Gillespie ahead of Davidson? San Fran basically gave him to us. ...
In the Giants system, Gillaspie was blocked by Pablo Sandoval at third. The only other position he played was first. Every time the Giants acquired a bat, it seemed to be someone whose defensive skills were so weak that they stuck him at first, blocking all prospects but Brandon Belt. The Giants traded him because he ran out of options.

No one ever ranked Gillaspie ahead of Matt Davidson, but Chris Carter's prospect ranking was 28 by Baseball America before the 2010 season, and he has been unimpressive in parts of four seasons.. Matt Davidson has never been ranked higher than 88. I don't know that he is ready to play third base in the majors fulltime.

If you look at the 2013 Davidson had for Reno and the 2012 Gillaspie had for Fresno, they are quite similar except that Davidson hit a lot more doubles and struck out a lot more. Gillaspie also played a better third base. I'm not suggesting Davidson doesn't have a higher ceiling. I would love to see Davidson give me a reason to get excited about the White Sox upgrading at third base, but he has to show me something first. And I'm not certain I'll see it in 2014.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:06 PM
WSI Prelate

I love this trade for us, absolutely.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I don't. Facebook kills me enough. When they signed Abreu, someone said, "Good signing, but I'm not going to a game until they bring AJ back!"
But you have to realize that those people aren't like us. We're fans of baseball, not baseball players. Some people just want to be part of the crowd, so they just throw stupid stuff like that out there so that they can be seen/heard.

edit: Just to stay on topic, I love this deal. Really love it. If there's an expendable player on any roster, it's the closer, and what we got for ours should be considered robbery.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:35 PM
WSI Personality

We just traded a high ERA closer for a top 100 prospect who plays a position of need. Holy Crap. Awesome!
Old 12-16-2013, 06:51 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN
#WhiteSox won't name replacement for closer Addison Reed but candidates include: Lindstrom, Jones, Daniel Webb. http://bit.ly/IQHHch
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 12-16-2013, 06:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
If you look at the 2013 Davidson had for Reno and the 2012 Gillaspie had for Fresno, they are quite similar except that Davidson hit a lot more doubles and struck out a lot more. Gillaspie also played a better third base. I'm not suggesting Davidson doesn't have a higher ceiling. I would love to see Davidson give me a reason to get excited about the White Sox upgrading at third base, but he has to show me something first. And I'm not certain I'll see it in 2014.
One never really knows about a prospect till he plays for awhile in the majors. Davidson will be barely 23 when the season starts, where he starts the season we dont know. I am not really too concerned about what will be seen in his 1st year. This coming year the Sox dont need players that will step right in because this team wont compete. Getting prospects is always a roll of the dice, some will make it and some wont. This kid has been touted so I guess that means his chances are higher than others. What the Sox are doing is getting a higher probability type of prospect to make the majors. What will come from it, no one knows but its really the only way they can go.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Taking a step back, I am amazed at what Hahn has been able to pull off this offseason. I would still like to see a major league catcher on the roster, but still, jeez...
Old 12-16-2013, 07:25 PM
WSI Regular

Saw this from the White Sox Google+ page from Hahn on our new guy:

On Davidson’s potential: “We feel Matt has the potential to be a middle-of-the-order run producer for a long time with us. He was young for the Triple-A level last year. We feel when he does get here [to the major leagues], he will be here for a long time.” (emphasis mine)
Old 12-16-2013, 07:37 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Solid move by Hahn.

Power potential 3B prospect over mediocre closer.

Solid.
whats mediocre about a guy who saved 40 games on a team that won only 63
Old 12-16-2013, 07:42 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Plus the money coming off the books next year...it's starting to look to me like Hahn's got a hell of a plan. He didn't want to do too much last year, but he seems to have had a long term vision that he's nailing right now. If he can grab us a quality rotation arm and dump Dunn, I am prepared to hail him as king. I've spent the last year looking at this roster wondering how they could possibly turn it around, just like most of WSI. I'm impressed, I have to say. There's still a way to go, but for one off season and going back to the tradeline, you've got to like it. The only player I'm really going to miss is Santiago, but you've got to give something to get something. Even if the Sox go with a 90 million payroll this year, really this is a 120+ payroll team. He's going to be swimming in flexibility the next few years.
guys, Dunn is NOT, repeat NOT going anywhere until 2014
Old 12-16-2013, 07:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
One never really knows about a prospect till he plays for awhile in the majors. Davidson will be barely 23 when the season starts, where he starts the season we dont know. I am not really too concerned about what will be seen in his 1st year. This coming year the Sox dont need players that will step right in because this team wont compete. Getting prospects is always a roll of the dice, some will make it and some wont. This kid has been touted so I guess that means his chances are higher than others. What the Sox are doing is getting a higher probability type of prospect to make the majors. What will come from it, no one knows but its really the only way they can go.
Yeah, maybe. But, isn't easier to just get a "I'm not impressed with him" placeholder comment in now so that you can tell everyone "I was one of the few people who told you so" if he does turn out to be a bust?
Old 12-16-2013, 07:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Love it.