White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2013, 04:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Someone called Reed "an elite closer."
You could make the argument that by definition any decent closer is elite, since they are generally the best relievers.

If this guy is a ready top 100 prospect though (I have to admit I don't know anything about him), you can't argue trading anything but some approaching Rivera.

Impressive, Hahn has acquired three top 100 prospects in a few months. Throw in Abreu, who I am still going to argue is an absolute steal only by virtue of him being born in Cuba, he'd probably be going two to two and half times what he got at this point in his development if he was from anywhere else. It'd be nice if he could pick up a similar quality pitcher, though.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
With two roided up monsters and the second highest payroll in the history of baseball (at the time) on his side, sure.
He's not proven to me- I agree.

But "proven" as far as media goes-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 12-16-2013, 04:56 PM
WSI High Priest

We have no way of knowing how all of these moves will work out but Hahn gets an A+ for realizing his team lost 99 games last year and anything has to be better than some of the stiffs we trotted out there last year. Still have my fingers crossed that DeAza will be next to go. I know we are stuck with Dunn so let's hope he has a good free agent year so we can trade him in July and at least get something for him.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:07 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
I agree with the concept of trading Keppinger, but does anyone seriously think there's a market for him? I'm not sure the Sox could give him away.

Uribe got 15m for 2years, keppinger is at least dumpable if not tradable.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
I agree with the concept of trading Keppinger, but does anyone seriously think there's a market for him? I'm not sure the Sox could give him away.
Sure, there is a market for Keppinger. The obvious team that could use him is the New York Yankees who don't and probably won't know how many holes they have to fill on the infield on a temporary or permanent basis until the season starts.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:12 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I don't know anything about Matt Davidson. Was he expected to be AZ's starting 3B before they traded him? I saw the posts about his defense. How is his speed, power, etc?

That being said, this looks like another great move by Hahn. The Sox desperately need to fill voids in their lineup and you have to give up something of value to get something of value. I'm not surprised Reed was traded since he was one of the few Sox players with a decent trade value.

Question: Will the bullpen openings be filled from within (Webb, Petricka, etc.), or do people think the Sox will acquire at least one reliever before the season starts?
Doesn't project to have much speed but has high marks for both power and general hitting ability
Old 12-16-2013, 05:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I know we are stuck with Dunn so let's hope he has a good free agent year so we can trade him in July and at least get something for him.
You know, the platoon of Dunn and Konerko doesn't bother me at all. Combined, they probably hit around .260 with 30-35 homers and around 100 RBI. And they are not under contract after next year.

That works.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Huge fan of this deal
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 12-16-2013, 05:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
The only place I've seen people not like this trade is (shocker) in stupid Facebook comments on Sox postings. Someone called Reed "an elite closer."
You must not read twitter. I think twitterers enjoyed each of those 63 wins dearly, and are appalled that any of those players won't be back.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
You know, the platoon of Dunn and Konerko doesn't bother me at all. Combined, they probably hit around .260 with 30-35 homers and around 100 RBI. And they are not under contract after next year.

That works.
If it's a straight split where Konerko gets around 40 starts against lefties, Konerko would have to hit about .350 to get them to .260
Old 12-16-2013, 05:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
You could make the argument that by definition any decent closer is elite, since they are generally the best relievers.
Yeah, but if you're comparing 30+ closers (not the pool of RPs), they can't all be elite.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 12-16-2013, 05:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
You must not read twitter. I think twitterers enjoyed each of those 63 wins dearly, and are appalled that any of those players won't be back.
I don't. Facebook kills me enough. When they signed Abreu, someone said, "Good signing, but I'm not going to a game until they bring AJ back!"
Old 12-16-2013, 05:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Yeah, but if you're comparing 30+ closers (not the pool of RPs), they can't all be elite.
I see what you're saying but on the other hand it's kind of like saying an average number three hitter. It probably still puts him amongst the top hitters in the league.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:38 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I see what you're saying but on the other hand it's kind of like saying an average number three hitter. It probably still puts him amongst the top hitters in the league.
I think it's safe to say that the Sox had the worst 3 hole hitter in the league for much of last season.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Davidson has been a top 100 prospect each of the last few years. What he projects to be offensively is above average - 275 average 20 + homers .370 OBP .800 plus OBPS. His defense is good enough. He is not going to win a gold glove, but he is not going to be Miguel Cabrera over there either with the glove. Davidson was slated to be the starting 3b before they got Trumbo. After they got him, that pushed Prado over to 3b and Davidson was left without a home.

He is another solid, young, high ceiling talent. He will be on base a lot. I think if he hits his ceiling, think Youklis in his prime, but I expect him to be a little bit below that.

In terms of internally, personally, I think you see Jones move to closer and Webb moved up to the bigs. We have a surplus of young bullpen arms.
With Chris Perez, John Axford, Grant Balfour, Fernando Rodney, and Jose Veras all free agents with not a ton of places to go, I wouldn't be surprised to see us buy low on a veteran closer. There's a ton on the relief market this offseason.