White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2013, 02:52 PM
WSI Personality

Like. I always thought Jones would be a better closer than Reed anyway. I'd much rather see Jones start an inning because he always has a knack of putting the first hitter on anyway.

Now let's get a catcher.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Not sure what this means for our closing situation, but at least we don't have to pencil in Keppinger or Gillaspie as our Opening Day third baseman now. We've really stocked up on young talent recently, which gives us real hope for the future.

Just as good, I'm glad nobody on here seems to be complaining about this. Hahn must be doing something right.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:57 PM
WSI Regular

The kids can play part two?
Old 12-16-2013, 02:58 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
I hate to use the "C" word here, but in year one of this rebuild, The Sox seem a little further along than the Cubs in their second year of rebuilding. I'm not sensing a lot of excitement from their fans. Theo may be getting the publicity, but Hahn seems to have more of a plan and is following through on it.
Which is funny as hell because last summer the Sox were being roasted by the media and even some fans for "not even having a plan." That was always bull****. It's just that the plan wasn't announced to the media. You don't have to call a presser and tell everyone what your plan is. You just have to execute it. I'm impressed by what Hahn has done. Hopefully the majority of these moves work out for the Sox.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 12-16-2013, 03:03 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Reed and Santiago were the last two regular closers for the White Sox. Santiago started the 2012 season in the role. He faltered and Reed took over through 2012 and 2013.

Jones is probably the leading candidate among the White Sox management to close in 2014. He probably has the best stuff for one inning as anyone on the staff. On one hand, I didn't think the Sox had enough bullpen talent to trade Reed this offseason.

The Sox must believe highly in Davidson, though. I don't know that Davidson has developed with the Diamondbacks expectations. He didn't look like a future star in Reno last season. I thought he could have used more plate discipline. But he is still very young. Maybe, I hope Sox scouts saw something in him that shows up in a Sox uniform.
He doesn't need to be a future star. He just needs to be a big-league 3B.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

What impact does this have on Quintana?

All hail The Rick
Old 12-16-2013, 03:33 PM
WSI Personality

Agree

I really believe the Sox will trade DeAza and Beckham to obtain a real mlb every day catcher. They will also continue to trade or acquire bullpen help and possibly another starter. You can't help but to be happy at all they have accomplished so far.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

I love Hahn's approach of focusing on high level young talent that's close to major league ready. It's been pretty remarkable in this climate where prospects are coveted more than ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 12-16-2013, 03:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
I really believe the Sox will trade DeAza and Beckham to obtain a real mlb every day catcher. They will also continue to trade or acquire bullpen help and possibly another starter. You can't help but to be happy at all they have accomplished so far.
I agree... can anyone say Gary Sanchez from the Yankees? McCann on board, no reason to keep a C prospect, they desperately need a 2B Option.. Beckham + prospect for Sanchez?
Old 12-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Which is funny as hell because last summer the Sox were being roasted by the media and even some fans for "not even having a plan." That was always bull****. It's just that the plan wasn't announced to the media. You don't have to call a presser and tell everyone what your plan is. You just have to execute it. I'm impressed by what Hahn has done. Hopefully the majority of these moves work out for the Sox.
Even if they don't work out, I love the approach, and the fact that the team isn't hamstrung with bloated contracts. And even though this team will struggle to win games, as soultrain has mentioned, I'm excited to watch the new blood in action.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 12-16-2013, 03:42 PM
WSI High Priest

I don't know anything about Matt Davidson. Was he expected to be AZ's starting 3B before they traded him? I saw the posts about his defense. How is his speed, power, etc?

That being said, this looks like another great move by Hahn. The Sox desperately need to fill voids in their lineup and you have to give up something of value to get something of value. I'm not surprised Reed was traded since he was one of the few Sox players with a decent trade value.

Question: Will the bullpen openings be filled from within (Webb, Petricka, etc.), or do people think the Sox will acquire at least one reliever before the season starts?
Old 12-16-2013, 03:43 PM
WSI High Priest

I love this. Reed was a good closer for us, but he had his bad moments and there is nothing more fickle than a closer. If Davidson pans out, he is going to be another good piece to build around.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I don't know anything about Matt Davidson. Was he expected to be AZ's starting 3B before they traded him? I saw the posts about his defense. How is his speed, power, etc?
There are a bunch of scouting reports out there.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 12-16-2013, 03:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
I agree... can anyone say Gary Sanchez from the Yankees? McCann on board, no reason to keep a C prospect, they desperately need a 2B Option.. Beckham + prospect for Sanchez?
Interesting concept and in this off season, not beyond the realm of possibility. How hard the Sox pursue Gary Sanchez depends upon how convinced the Sox are that he will stay behind the plate. If Sanchez stays at catcher, then he would make sense for the Sox. If he has to be moved to 1B or DH, then not so much.

The Sox have a few possible trading chips with the Yankees. Yes, Gordon Beckham makes some sense but Alexei Ramirez makes even more sense, as he would give the Yanks insurance in the event that Derek Jeter breaks down which, if history is any guide, may well happen. Jeff Keppinger has some value to New York as a throw in with such a deal. The Yankees need somebody that can fill in at 1B, 2B, SS and 3B, given the fragile nature of some players (Texieria and Jeter) and the possible unavailability of one player (Rodriguez).

It wouldn't surprise me if the Sox and Yankees are talking. One more question: is Sanchez ready for the big leagues in 2014?
Old 12-16-2013, 03:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post

That being said, this looks like another great move by Hahn. The Sox desperately need to fill voids in their lineup and you have to give up something of value to get something of value. I'm not surprised Reed was traded since he was one of the few Sox players with a decent trade value.

Question: Will the bullpen openings be filled from within (Webb, Petricka, etc.), or do people think the Sox will acquire at least one reliever before the season starts?
Davidson has been a top 100 prospect each of the last few years. What he projects to be offensively is above average - 275 average 20 + homers .370 OBP .800 plus OBPS. His defense is good enough. He is not going to win a gold glove, but he is not going to be Miguel Cabrera over there either with the glove. Davidson was slated to be the starting 3b before they got Trumbo. After they got him, that pushed Prado over to 3b and Davidson was left without a home.

He is another solid, young, high ceiling talent. He will be on base a lot. I think if he hits his ceiling, think Youklis in his prime, but I expect him to be a little bit below that.

In terms of internally, personally, I think you see Jones move to closer and Webb moved up to the bigs. We have a surplus of young bullpen arms.