White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2013, 03:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
There's still some good pitching left, unless the list I'm looking at is out of date.
I dont know if there is any good pitching but there are some serviceable vets out there. The Sox are going to need someone to eat some innings, the back end kids cant put out large innings in their 1st year in the bigs. I dont know what he wants or what term but I wouldnt mind the Sox getting a crap slinger like Bruce Chen.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I dont know if there is any good pitching but there are some serviceable vets out there. The Sox are going to need someone to eat some innings, the back end kids cant put out large innings in their 1st year in the bigs. I dont know what he wants or what term but I wouldnt mind the Sox getting a crap slinger like Bruce Chen.
The list I'm looking at shows E. Santana, Burnett, Arroyo along with Tanaka as still available. I don't know, in the world where Quintana is a fourth starter maybe these guys are merely serviceable. Also numerous quality relievers still out there.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:33 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
The list I'm looking at shows E. Santana, Burnett, Arroyo along with Tanaka as still available. I don't know, in the world where Quintana is a fourth starter maybe these guys are merely serviceable. Also numerous quality relievers still out there.
Burnett, I believe is still mulling whether to return to Pittsburgh for one more year or just retire. I don't think he's going anywhere else.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 12-13-2013, 04:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
E. Santana is 31 and wants 5/100m+ so that isnt happenening, Arroyo is 36 and wants at 3/36. With the type of club the Sox are fielding this year, these guys wont be helping the club if/when they are able to compete.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:41 PM
WSI High Priest

That's almost too much money. I trust the Sox will get their payroll back up at some point (2015). I think we just need to allow them time to find the right pieces deserving that pay. Don't spend on question marks or just for the sake of spending.

Let's see what the young guys got. MAYBE add a veteran free agent pitcher this year or next. Still need a good catcher and 3Bman. I don't see those anywhere in free agency.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
E. Santana is 31 and wants 5/100m+ so that isnt happenening, Arroyo is 36 and wants at 3/36. With the type of club the Sox are fielding this year, these guys wont be helping the club if/when they are able to compete.
The premium is clearly on developing your own pitchers. Feldman, who's like a 6 starter, got 3/30 (yea, I known, if I had eyes I could see he's really a 3 with bad luck hurting his production).
Garza, who's a 3, is going to get the moon.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
If last year's awful Indians team could get to the wild card play-in game, then pretty much every team in the AL has at least a chance

Pretty much every team has questions at the back end of their rotation
The Indians made the playoffs last year because they played the White Sox 19 times and won 17 of those games. The 2014 White Sox will not have that opportunity.

Go Sox!!!
Old 12-13-2013, 08:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke
That's almost too much money. I trust the Sox will get their payroll back up at some point (2015). I think we just need to allow them time to find the right pieces deserving that pay. Don't spend on question marks or just for the sake of spending.

Let's see what the young guys got. MAYBE add a veteran free agent pitcher this year or next. Still need a good catcher and 3Bman. I don't see those anywhere in free agency.
What I wouldn't mind seeing is if Rick Hahn can absorb a bad one-year or two-year contract in a trade with the surplus cash if he can get a nice prospect for his troubles.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

I hope they don't spend anymore money. Wait until Dunn is gone and then go after free agents. As long as Dunn is on this team, you're stuck with not being a playoff contender. Save the cash and invest next year.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:48 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
The Indians made the playoffs last year because they played the White Sox 19 times and won 17 of those games. The 2014 White Sox will not have that opportunity.
Well, we get 19 games with the Indians, Twins, and Royals. That counts for something.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Well, we get 19 games with the Indians, Twins, and Royals. That counts for something.
How many games do we get against the White Sox?
Old 12-14-2013, 09:44 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34rancher View Post
I hope they don't spend anymore money. Wait until Dunn is gone and then go after free agents. As long as Dunn is on this team, you're stuck with not being a playoff contender. Save the cash and invest next year.
The dude hits 30 homers....there is value in that for DH. You can't bat him 3rd (ahem, Robin).....
He's just not worth the money we're paying him.
But we certainly could win with him at DH.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
The dude hits 30 homers....there is value in that for DH. You can't bat him 3rd (ahem, Robin).....
He's just not worth the money we're paying him.
But we certainly could win with him at DH.
Dunn/White Sox- ranked 12th of 15 teams for DH- so there are exactly 3 teams in MLB where Dunn would be of value-

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2013-...gnated-hitter/

To minimize the damage while we pray for someone to take him off our hands- he should be batting 5th/6th- and only starting vs. RHPs

Dunn will be out off baseball after 2014- he's a DH only at this stage- and in the bottom 25% of that position- while aging and declining-

Best scenario for the WSox is he looks good in spring training, gets off to a fast start and an AL contender gets hit with injuries where they are desperate enough to take on a decent part of Dunn's salary for a few months of his DH production.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Im going to sing it."
Old 12-14-2013, 01:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Dunn/White Sox- ranked 12th of 15 teams for DH- so there are exactly 3 teams in MLB where Dunn would be of value-

To minimize the damage while we pray for someone to take him off our hands- he should be batting 5th/6th- and only starting vs. RHPs
I think you misread that a little. Sox DH's ranked 12th....Dunn is probably around 7th. But really, only Oritz, Berkman and Butler were significantly better.
I certainly agree to bat him 5th or 6th. To bat him 3rd is more of the awe of the baseball mind of Robin.
And he obviously is only going to bat against lefties this year...I say, obviously, because we have Konerko presumably to take the ABs from lefties, but you never know for sure.
Sure we should trade him if we can...but I'll say that it won't be that easy getting 30 homers from someone else at DH.

Dunn should make about 40% of what he's making. He's overpaid. But he still has a positive production in contrast to, say, MacDougal, who was overpaid and producing negative returns.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post

Dunn will be out off baseball after 2014- he's a DH only at this stage- and in the bottom 25% of that position- while aging and declining-

Best scenario for the WSox is he looks good in spring training, gets off to a fast start and an AL contender gets hit with injuries where they are desperate enough to take on a decent part of Dunn's salary for a few months of his DH production.
You're misinterpreting that article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).