White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2013, 10:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
I'm fine with the team not spending now. I'd rather see them build from within and start to spend on FA's once they are closer to actually competing.

My position all along has been I can stomach a rebuild so long as the team fully embraces it and doesn't do the half-assed rebuilds that we saw from KW.
I think the Sox now have a punchers chance of contending for a wild card in 2013- need alot of "ifs" to come through- Ramirez, Beckham, Viciedo need to bounce back, John Danks needs to be the 2008 version and need to plug at least catcher or 3rd in the offseason.

Not likely by any stretch- but possible-

Mostly in a "Santa Claus might exist" kind of possible- but Hahn has done enough that I'll go into April/May with the irrational optimism that helped me survive 1978-1980, 1986-1989, 1994-1999, etc.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 12-13-2013, 11:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
And what happens to the $25 million or so extra dollars coming from the new national TV contracts. I get that with attendance down things are tighter, but that's not the only source of revenue. For years I've defended the Sox about not being cheap, but I think the needle is starting to move in that direction.
There's nobody left to spend the money on. This FA class was pretty terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 12-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I think the Sox now have a punchers chance of contending for a wild card in 2013- need alot of "ifs" to come through- Ramirez, Beckham, Viciedo need to bounce back, John Danks needs to be the 2008 version and need to plug at least catcher or 3rd in the offseason.

Mostly in a "Santa Claus might exist" kind of possible- but Hahn has done enough that I'll go into April/May with the irrational optimism that helped me survive 1978-1980, 1986-1989, 1994-1999, etc.
Wildcard? Probably not. But the Royals and Indians will have pitching problems and, personally, I feel the Tigers have made themselves worse. So if everything goes right and wrong for them, there could be a race. It's not likely, but it's more likely than last year.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:17 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:

Nothing is more important in competing than starting pitching. The Sox will be going into the season with a guy that had a surgery that is really difficult to come back from in a meaningful way and two totally unknown quantities in the 4th and 5th slots. Those are mighty big ifs to overcome.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:55 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Wildcard? Probably not. But the Royals and Indians will have pitching problems and, personally, I feel the Tigers have made themselves worse. So if everything goes right and wrong for them, there could be a race. It's not likely, but it's more likely than last year.
If last year's awful Indians team could get to the wild card play-in game, then pretty much every team in the AL has at least a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Nothing is more important in competing than starting pitching. The Sox will be going into the season with a guy that had a surgery that is really difficult to come back from in a meaningful way and two totally unknown quantities in the 4th and 5th slots. Those are mighty big ifs to overcome.
Pretty much every team has questions at the back end of their rotation
Old 12-13-2013, 12:05 PM
WSI High Priest

If Hahn is smart, and chooses wisely to stock the farm....I am fine with a bit of a re-trenchment in payroll this year.

But, the smart picking part is tricky...and if he messes it up..he will be gone.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
Tanaka
Tatanka. Buffalo.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 12-13-2013, 12:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
If last year's awful Indians team could get to the wild card play-in game, then pretty much every team in the AL has at least a chance
Hey, it's the White Sox front-office philosophy!
Old 12-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Tatanka. Buffalo.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 12-13-2013, 12:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

No problem with this at all. It would be disingenuous of a Sox fan to complain about the dearth of talent in the pipeline and then complain about what the Sox say they are doing.

I was curious how Hahn was going to execute on what seems to be a "re-tool on the fly" plan (as opposed to the Cubs burn-it-to-the-ground model). So far his decisions and moves seem to make a lot of sense.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over By There View Post
No problem with this at all. It would be disingenuous of a Sox fan to complain about the dearth of talent in the pipeline and then complain about what the Sox say they are doing.

I was curious how Hahn was going to execute on what seems to be a "re-tool on the fly" plan (as opposed to the Cubs burn-it-to-the-ground model). So far his decisions and moves seem to make a lot of sense.
Too much to hope for.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 12-13-2013, 12:23 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Hey, it's the White Sox front-office philosophy!
As it should be, they let a 1/3 of the American League in the playoffs now, and once your in the playoffs, pretty much anything can happen. Anyone who suggests treating an upcoming season as anything other than an opportunity to win now should be dragged out in 35th Street and shot for all of our amusement.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Too much to hope for.
Dare to dream.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:48 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Agreed. No need to spend anything but on future investment in an already basically throw-in-the-towel season.
Quote:
I'm fine with it- Hahn seems to be making very disciplined trade decisions- young, major league ready talent- while focusing on getting the farm system in shape for the long term.

Gets us away from the annual swinging from the heals roster construction of the late years of the KW era- with an empty farm system underneath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
I'm ok with this as well.
I'm in this camp as well. I like this strategy of trying to add youth to the everyday lineup. There's no need to overspend on veteran mediocrity given where the team is right now. And make no mistake about it, this free agent class is full of veteran mediocrity.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 12-13-2013, 02:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
There's nobody left to spend the money on. This FA class was pretty terrible.
There's still some good pitching left, unless the list I'm looking at is out of date.