White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2013, 11:36 PM
WSI Guru

Default White Sox Payroll To Be $89-$99 Million

Savings to be re-invested in international and draft signings. Per ESPN's Doug Padilla.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/whit...-spending-plan
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-1.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:17 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Savings to be re-invested in international and draft signings. Per ESPN's Doug Padilla.
Isn't the amount of money we can spend in the draft and international signings already set?

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 12-13-2013, 06:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

And what happens to the $25 million or so extra dollars coming from the new national TV contracts. I get that with attendance down things are tighter, but that's not the only source of revenue. For years I've defended the Sox about not being cheap, but I think the needle is starting to move in that direction.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Isn't the amount of money we can spend in the draft and international signings already set?
Yeah, but that money has to come from somewhere. It'll still be more than what we're used to spending on that, especially with higher picks.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Money has been streaming in for years, the Sox payroll is low for the market they are in but I have not seen any players on the FA market that I believe would be that beneficial for the Sox long term success. I really hope money will be pouring into the establishment of a quality minor league system. This will be hard to track and could just turn into lip service by Sox ownership which has happened before.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Here's where we are currently at:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...cg&output=html

Total is $68.3M

Add another $9-10M for Viciedo's re-up, Beckham's and DeAza's arb year raises - if we don't trade any of them...

Then add 11 players to round out the roster at or near minimum: 500K each plus a little more for non-rookies, that's another. $6M

Estimated total would be $83.5-$84M.

So that's $5M left for the small number and $15M left for the big number.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:01 AM
WSI High Priest

I'm fine with it- Hahn seems to be making very disciplined trade decisions- young, major league ready talent- while focusing on getting the farm system in shape for the long term.

Gets us away from the annual swinging from the heals roster construction of the late years of the KW era- with an empty farm system underneath.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 12-13-2013, 09:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Here's where we are currently at:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...cg&output=html

Total is $68.3M

Add another $9-10M for Viciedo's re-up, Beckham's and DeAza's arb year raises - if we don't trade any of them...

Then add 11 players to round out the roster at or near minimum: 500K each plus a little more for non-rookies, that's another. $6M

Estimated total would be $83.5-$84M.

So that's $5M left for the small number and $15M left for the big number.
Anyone know what our draft figure is? This year's draft counts on this year's payroll. If I recall correctly, so do planned buyouts if anyone has a contract option for 2015 (since it will happen right after the season).
Old 12-13-2013, 09:40 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I'm fine with it- Hahn seems to be making very disciplined trade decisions- young, major league ready talent- while focusing on getting the farm system in shape for the long term.

Gets us away from the annual swinging from the heals roster construction of the late years of the KW era- with an empty farm system underneath.
Agreed. No need to spend anything but on future investment in an already basically throw-in-the-towel season.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 12-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Agreed. No need to spend anything but on future investment in an already basically throw-in-the-towel season.
I'm ok with this as well.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 12-13-2013, 09:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Anyone know what our draft figure is? This year's draft counts on this year's payroll. If I recall correctly, so do planned buyouts if anyone has a contract option for 2015 (since it will happen right after the season).
Here's last years, I'd assume they'd increase a bit.

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/2013-mlb-a...ft-pick-values

We're picking third, so the amount we have to spend will go up over last year. Last year the Rockies had a $10M pool (11 picks in 10 rounds) at the three spot. Hopefully they're smart like the Astros have been the last few years and sign either of the first two picks at below slot, so they have more pool money in lower rounds to draft players with signability concerns and entice them to sign by going over the slot value.

International totals for 2013 were:
http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...s-for-2013-14/

So let's say the Sox will have around roughly $15M to spend in both the draft and the international slots.

That doesn't count players exempt from the international slots like Abreu or the Japanese posting system, so the Sox could conceivably spend more than that.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:00 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

I don't really know who is left out there that I'd want them going big on at this point. Tanaka is probably the only one, and I don't like the chances even if they publicly said they would be aggressive for him with the new posting rules. Hell, he might not even be posted this year.

I'd like an upgrade at Catcher and one of 2nd/3rd base. They could probably get an adequate catcher and still fit in the stated payroll (Buck couldn't cost too much, right?).

One of Viciedo/De Aza will probably be traded and if they were to get an upgrate at 2B or 3B, then I'd have to think Beckham would be traded as well. Money would be freed in both cases.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Here's last years, I'd assume they'd increase a bit.

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/2013-mlb-a...ft-pick-values

We're picking third, so the amount we have to spend will go up over last year. Last year the Rockies had a $10M pool (11 picks in 10 rounds) at the three spot. Hopefully they're smart like the Astros have been the last few years and sign either of the first two picks at below slot, so they have more pool money in lower rounds to draft players with signability concerns and entice them to sign by going over the slot value.

International totals for 2013 were:
http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...s-for-2013-14/

So let's say the Sox will have around roughly $15M to spend in both the draft and the international slots.

That doesn't count players exempt from the international slots like Abreu or the Japanese posting system, so the Sox could conceivably spend more than that.

That's a lot of money. And Hahn's right, they need to spend all of it on that.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Banned

I'm fine with the team not spending now. I'd rather see them build from within and start to spend on FA's once they are closer to actually competing.

My position all along has been I can stomach a rebuild so long as the team fully embraces it and doesn't do the half-assed rebuilds that we saw from KW.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:43 AM
MMXXIII

I like how the people in favor of the full teardowns seem to only believe they always work 100% of the time