White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013, 09:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
It's Brandon Jacobs, right? He's not much of a prospect, is he?
He has some potential but hasn't really set the world on fire. Most scouts think he is destined to be a 4th outfielder.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 12-10-2013, 10:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

The best part of this trade is that it illustrates our ability to identify pitching talent and cultivate it. Santiago was picked off the scrap heap and flipped for a top prospect. I really believe Don Cooper has been the biggest asset to this organization for the last decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 12-10-2013, 11:28 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I'm going to like this guy

I don't think the Sox have had a Spanky on the team since Mike Squires.

Looks like the kid is glad to have the opportunity and has some nice upside. I can live with a trade like this.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:39 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
The best part of this trade is that it illustrates our ability to identify pitching talent and cultivate it. Santiago was picked off the scrap heap and flipped for a top prospect.
Yes. This.

Eaton's still a top prospect, he just isn't viewed as a can't-miss one right now because of the injury, even though that injury shouldn't affect him long term. Santiago has been a good player for us and I'll miss him, but Eaton has the potential to be our CF and leadoff man of the future. He's got tools and, due to mitigating circumstances, we got at him a pretty low price. This is a low-risk/high-reward deal and I like it.

Hahn cleared out a lot of dead wood late in the season, and has made some fine young pickups. The contracts for Danks and Dunn are currently our only albatrosses. Dunn's in his final year and Danks still has the potential to live up to his contract (or at least make it less egregious). This is becoming a leaner, younger team, and fast. They will be a lot more fun to watch next year.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Well, that and the fact that,according to the Southside Sox trade reaction roundup, he thinks Eaton should start in right field with Avi Garcia starting the season in Charlotte.

The single greatest postgame thread ever conceived on WSI:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...ostgame+Royals
Old 12-11-2013, 02:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

I like this trade. The best part about it is that it signals the end of De Aza in center field. He was the poster boy for the 2013 idiocy. He needed to be removed. He's perhaps the dumbest player I've seen play for the Sox, he was a lethargic leadoff hitter and, for whatever reason, his defense dropped dramatically. Even singles hit to the left or right of him became an adventure. In my opinion, a drug test was in order.

I propose that anyone who believes Garcia should start the season in the minors should automatically lose his blogging privileges.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:58 AM
WSI Regular

The only part i dont get is why would anyone want Tank over De Awesome? Tank has no major league tools. Well, unless you consider striking out or being a better defender than the Donkey, a "tool". I think the move is to flip Tank for something and De Aza heads to the bench.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroMaster87 View Post
The only part i dont get is why would anyone want Tank over De Awesome? Tank has no major league tools. Well, unless you consider striking out or being a better defender than the Donkey, a "tool". I think the move is to flip Tank for something and De Aza heads to the bench.

Tank will be 25 and was the 2nd best hitter on the team last year (not counting Rios or Garcia). He was injured part of last season.

After the All-Star Break he hit:
De Aza is 30 this coming season. His stats are in a downward trend after a good start with the Sox. He's replaceable.

De Aza's 2012 stats:
I think De Aza might need a change of scenery to get back to hitting like that. I'd be concerned a change of scenery for Viciedo might turn him into a 30+ HR all-star.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:36 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
The more I think about it, the more I like this trade for the Sox, love it for the Angels, and wonder what the heck Arizona is doing.
I've been wondering what Arizona has been doing for a few off-seasons now, remember last year they basically gave away Trevor Bauer to the Indians for Lars Anderson, Tony Sipp, and Didi Gregorius.... Still haven't figured that deal out yet.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 12-11-2013, 06:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
Tank will be 25 and was the 2nd best hitter on the team last year (not counting Rios or Garcia). He was injured part of last season.

De Aza is 30 this coming season. His stats are in a downward trend after a good start with the Sox. He's replaceable.

De Aza's 2012 stats:
I think De Aza might need a change of scenery to get back to hitting like that. I'd be concerned a change of scenery for Viciedo might turn him into a 30+ HR all-star.
In deciding whether to keep De Aza or Viciedo, I think that Viciedo's Cuban heritage also plays a role as well.

I think the Sox will want to keep their "Cuban connection" (Viciedo, Alexei, and Abreu) intact for this season thus helping ease Abreu's transition into MLB.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:39 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
De Aza probably has more value on the market and thus commands a greater return. You have to look at the Sox as the team they will be in 2-3 years, not the team they will be in 2014. I don't think next year will be quite as painful as the one we just endured, but I don't think the Sox have much of a chance to be real threat yet. So yeah, maybe De Aza is a better player in 2014 but who helps the team out more in 2016? 2017? Maybe Viciedo is gone by then, too, but it's doubtful De Aza will be that useful by then. So may as well get something for him now, if you can.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:43 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I know this is the running joke, but given the moves we've made the last half decade and the way they've all pretty much panned out, isn't it safe to now assume that Keith Law is gospel in regards to moves the White Sox make? He hasn't been wrong about us, ever.
Uh... what?

Old 12-11-2013, 06:58 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:

De Aza's 2012 stats:
Didn't realize Tank hit that well after the ASB. I just see him being yet another base clogging, no glove guy as Donkey, Flowers, Paulie, Abreu. That's just too many...I actually think that the fact that Tank is 25 years old, an argument could be made that he is more attractive. And he's still under team control, right?
Old 12-11-2013, 07:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Sounds like this deal is questionable long term talent for questionble long term talent (like any other trades are)

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 12-11-2013, 07:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

De Aza's 2012 stats:
Giving up on Viciedo at age 24 is lunacy- he's younger than Eaton and Abreu- he definitely regressed last year- but he still has the potential to be a very goo LF or DH after Dunn leaves.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."