White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 01:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I am so tired of all the whining about the size of contracts with Sox players. The market is the market. Scott ****ing Feldman just got $10 mil a year. Bronson Arroyo will get more than that. That's just what it is. If teams don't want to pay, they'll just sit in the cellar.

I'm tired of people raising the Fiscal Responsibility Championship banner.
The complain from my part is not what the Sox pay their players but what other teams are doing stupidly to inflate the market.

At the pace I see this, unless scouting/player development gets their **** together quick, the Sox will never be competitive again.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:02 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
The complain from my part is not what the Sox pay their players but what other teams are doing stupidly to inflate the market.

At the pace I see this, unless scouting/player development gets their **** together quick, the Sox will never be competitive again.
Capping the spending won't help the Sox sign better players. It will just make the players base their decisions on other factors besides salary. How many players are dying to play for the Sox? If I take my Sox bias out of the equation, I would guess that most players would rather play for the cubs than the Sox for the same stupid reasons that the cubs are more popular than the Sox. I would also guess most players would rather play for the Yanks and Red Sox. I would also guess that most players would rather play for the California teams.

I would have never guessed 10-15 years ago that the Sox would be where they were in the mid '00's payroll-wise. They will sign the inflated prices when they see players they want to sign to the inflated prices.

Also, the scouting/player development needs to get their **** together quick regardless of the market inflation. The reason it is tougher now is not because of the inflation, but because the guys who would actually be good free agents worthy of huge contracts are for the most part getting locked up early with the teams that drafted them.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:28 PM
MMXXIII

Royals non-tender former White Sox draftee/prospect/infielder Chris Getz

http://kingsofkauffman.com/2013/12/0...z-time-royals/

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 12-06-2013, 02:34 PM
MMXXIII

Rangers sign J.P. Arencibia... 1 year, $1.8 million guaranteed with approximately $300,000 of performance bonuses available

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...arencibia.html

Another catcher off the market
Old 12-06-2013, 02:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
And by extension, what this tells us is that any owner crying about their financial situation is full of ****.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I don't see how Cano getting this deal from the Yankees, Mariners, or Team Beirut could be a positive for baseball. All it does is keep driving up the prices for even the mediocre talent field left over for us to pick from not only this season but the next ones.
Are you kidding? There isn't any player available that compares to Cano. After the Ellsbury signing I figured Cano would get 30+/yr easy. There's already precedence for players like Cano getting these kinds of deals, it's the contracts like Ellsbury's and others that are driving up the price of mediocrity.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Jay-Z just made a huge splash with that Cano deal...good for Robby. I do wonder how he'll feel in a few years, though, when he realizes he's ONLY playing for money. Not that that's a bad thing. Lol.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

What do you want ownerships to do? Just keep stuffing more and more money into bigger mattresses? Gobs of money have been going to owners for quite sometime, many here for years were listening to the poor mouthing and actually believing it. Now at least the words out and fans finally know whats going on.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
What do you want ownerships to do? Just keep stuffing more and more money into bigger mattresses? Gobs of money have been going to owners for quite sometime, many here for years were listening to the poor mouthing and actually believing it. Now at least the words out and fans finally know whats going on.
Again, how does this help me, a Sox fan?
Old 12-06-2013, 07:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Again, how does this help me, a Sox fan?
Knowing whats going on will let you make an informed decision if you want to put out the dough, to support whats going on.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Banned

Tough to say about the size of a contract being good or bad for a team overall. Look at all the crappy contracts the Sox paid (Jaime Navarro, Adam Dunn, Alex Rios) and these guys didn't do jack. Look at the Monopoly money the Marlins paid for guys like Zambrano, Buehrle and Reyes, as well as what they paid for Ozzie as manager.

Sometimes it pans out, sometimes it doesn't ...
Old 12-06-2013, 09:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin View Post
Tough to say about the size of a contract being good or bad for a team overall. Look at all the crappy contracts the Sox paid (Jaime Navarro, Adam Dunn, Alex Rios) and these guys didn't do jack. Look at the Monopoly money the Marlins paid for guys like Zambrano, Buehrle and Reyes, as well as what they paid for Ozzie as manager.

And the worth of clubs keep increasing and increasing. Some clubs have been crying the poor mouth for years, now we all know those were all crocodile tears. They lose a buck and find a fin.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:45 PM
WSI High Priest

The crazy part of the deal is the 10 years, not the $30 million/yr.

Robinson Cano will not be worth $30 million at age 41.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 12-06-2013, 09:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Meanwhile, the Yankees move on pretty quickly, bringing in Carlos Beltran
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...5-million-deal
Old 12-06-2013, 09:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin View Post

The Sox bad contracts from the past come nowhere close to the historical disasters some other contracts around the league have been. Add at least 2 more from the lunacy happening just the last few days.