White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 11:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Really fans should have been more upset with the Dunn signing than this thread would have you believe they are about the Konerko signing, especially considering the terms. And if you go back to the Dunn-signing-day thread, only a scant few of us were.
Probably because for the 7 years prior to the signing, Dunn had averaged a .914 OPS and had been pretty much a model of consistency. Sure, he struck out a lot, but he drew a lot of walks and hit at least 38 home runs in each of those 7 seasons. Personally, I remember thinking that he could easily hit 50 playing half his games at U.S. Cellular.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:00 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
Just like you have no answer to who's going to be your left handed bat who can his over 30 + Hrs and hit near a 100 rbi's. But save this post because I want to hear you spincast this one and how he helped the 2014 in anyway.

Taking AB away from a kid like Semian L.Garcia A. Garcia Abrue Gillaspie or anyone that has a pulse basically. Young kids need every AB they can get. Sox are so top loaded with INF bench players it's ridiculous. And you're telling us they have no one presently on their bench that can do the same job Konerko can do?
White Sox pinch-hitters were 11-for-62 (.177) with 3 RBIs last season. Yeah, our bench is loaded with good hitters. This team doesn't need a bench bat at all.

The White Sox didn't have a left-handed hitter with 30 and 100 the year they won the World Series. Why is it so imperative they have one for what figures to be a rebuilding season in 2014?

You honestly think Konerko is going to away ABs from Semien? Wow. You must have been drinking. Konerko is going to be a bench player, essentially the 24th or 25th guy. His status has ZERO effect on Semien. Konerko does not play the same position as Semien. There's no question Semien is going to play every day in 2014. It's just a matter of whether that's in Chicago or Charlotte. If Semien is going to play every day in Chicago, one of the incumbent starting infielders has to be moved to make room for him. If not, he gets his development ABs in Charlotte. None of that has anything to do with Konerko. Semien is not going to sit on the bench as a role player in Chicago anyway, so Konerko is not taking his spot.

L. Garcia? What the hell are you talking about? L. Garcia isn't going to get ABs as a pinch-hitter or a DH. Konerko's not taking ABs from him either.

A. Garcia? Again, what the hell are you talking about? Konerko doesn't play RF. A. Garcia is our RF for hopefully 150 games in 2014. Konerko presence has no affect on A. Garcia's playing time.

Abreu? The Sox aren't paying him to sit on the bench. He's the 1B. Everyone knows it, including Konerko. Paul will only take ABs from him if Abreu needs a day off, unless Abreu completely tanks against MLB pitching. For all of our sakes, let's hope that doesn't happen.

Gillaspie? Pffttt. He's just like Dunn. He can't hit lefties. If Konerko takes some of his ABs against left-handed pitching, that actually helps the team. Although, I don't think Konerko is going to take any grounders at third base anytime soon.

I'm sorry, but your posts just don't make any sense.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 12-06-2013, 01:02 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Why can't Garcia Dunn and Abrue rotate the DH? Again, why not try and get a different element like someone who can steal a base spell an outfielder without losing to much anywhere else or someone who can pinch run and grab the Sox a base?
Probably because Garcia is the best defensive outfielder on this team. He needs to play the field.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
White Sox pinch-hitters were 11-for-62 (.177) with 3 RBIs last season. Yeah, our bench is loaded with good hitters. This team doesn't need a bench bat at all.

The White Sox didn't have a left-handed hitter with 30 and 100 the year they won the World Series. Why is it so imperative they have one for what figures to be a rebuilding season in 2014?

You honestly think Konerko is going to away ABs from Semien? Wow. You must have been drinking. Konerko is going to be a bench player, essentially the 24th or 25th guy. His status has ZERO effect on Semien. Konerko does not play the same position as Semien. There's no question Semien is going to play every day in 2014. It's just a matter of whether that's in Chicago or Charlotte. If Semien is going to play every day in Chicago, one of the incumbent starting infielders has to be moved to make room for him. If not, he gets his development ABs in Charlotte. None of that has anything to do with Konerko. Semien is not going to sit on the bench as a role player in Chicago anyway, so Konerko is not taking his spot.

L. Garcia? What the hell are you talking about? L. Garcia isn't going to get ABs as a pinch-hitter or a DH. Konerko's not taking ABs from him either.

A. Garcia? Again, what the hell are you talking about? Konerko doesn't play RF. A. Garcia is our RF for hopefully 150 games in 2014. Konerko presence has no affect on A. Garcia's playing time.

Abreu? The Sox aren't paying him to sit on the bench. He's the 1B. Everyone knows it, including Konerko. Paul will only take ABs from him if Abreu needs a day off, unless Abreu completely tanks against MLB pitching. For all of our sakes, let's hope that doesn't happen.

Gillaspie? Pffttt. He's just like Dunn. He can't hit lefties. If Konerko takes some of his ABs against left-handed pitching, that actually helps the team. Although, I don't think Konerko is going to take any grounders at third base anytime soon.

Quote:
Probably because Garcia is the best defensive outfielder on this team. He needs to play the field.

I love it when you analyze!

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 12-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
You add Belisario to your list of grievances?? These are signings smart teams make....1 yr deal, low money and an ultra tradeable commodity at the deadline when the Sox fall out of it. We'll end up paying him $1.6M and probably get a B level prospect back at the deadline.
They actually own his rights the next two years. This is his first year of arbitration eligibility.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 12-06-2013, 02:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Dunn has put up roughly the same OWAR in 4 fewer years.
I have no problem with your contention that the latest Konerko signing is a bad move. I will point out that Konerko's JAWS is 28.5 to 16.5 for Dunn. Like I've said, I love poring over statistical information, but time and again I have seen evidence that WAR is not the holy grail. I would take Konerko's career over Dunn's in a heartbeat.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Well done, sir!
Old 12-06-2013, 03:40 PM
WSI Personality

As someone who didn't watch a lot of September ball last year I'm a bit lost on how our lineup and bench is looking right now.

C Flowers
1B Abreu
2B Beckham
SS Alexei
3B Gillaspie
LF A Garcia
CF De Aza
RF Viciedo
DH Dunn

Bench
C Phegley
2B/3B Keppinger
MI/OF Elmore
1B Konerko

Is this how we currently stand? Can Elmore really play center, or can Avisail realistically cover it to give De Aza days off? Are Danks and L Garcia starting the season in Charlotte? I'm assuming Semien won't be starting the season with the club.

Are they considering an 11 man staff?
Old 12-06-2013, 04:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I have no problem with your contention that the latest Konerko signing is a bad move. I will point out that Konerko's JAWS is 28.5 to 16.5 for Dunn. Like I've said, I love poring over statistical information, but time and again I have seen evidence that WAR is not the holy grail. I would take Konerko's career over Dunn's in a heartbeat.
I would take PK's because of the World Series. Dunn has been the better hitter though. I would bet Dunn will get more consideration for the HOF too. He should be one of the few clean hitters to get to 500 HR's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 12-06-2013, 04:11 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISoxfan View Post
As someone who didn't watch a lot of September ball last year I'm a bit lost on how our lineup and bench is looking right now.

C Flowers
1B Abreu
2B Beckham
SS Alexei
3B Gillaspie
LF A Garcia
CF De Aza
RF Viciedo
DH Dunn

Bench
C Phegley
2B/3B Keppinger
MI/OF Elmore
1B Konerko
That lineup made my eyes bleed. That lineup needs drastic improvements.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISoxfan View Post

C Flowers
1B Abreu
2B Beckham
SS Alexei
3B Gillaspie
LF A Garcia
CF De Aza
RF Viciedo
DH Dunn

Bench
C Phegley
2B/3B Keppinger
MI/OF Elmore
1B Konerko

Is this how we currently stand? Can Elmore really play center, or can Avisail realistically cover it to give De Aza days off? Are Danks and L Garcia starting the season in Charlotte? I'm assuming Semien won't be starting the season with the club.

Are they considering an 11 man staff?
You've got Viciedo and Garcia reversed, but yeah that's the current state of the Sox...
Old 12-06-2013, 04:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
Roster flexibility. Who gives a ****, this a 90 loss team.
If this is a 90 loss team, that's even more reason not bring back Konerko. Hahn should be working on improving the team instead of treading water.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
. I would bet Dunn will get more consideration for the HOF too.

I never thought I'd live to see the day a sentence would be composed of Dunn, consideration and HOF. At least without a no, none, less than zero or a are ****ing kidding me? thrown in there.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Again, why not try and get a different element like... someone who can pinch run and grab the Sox a base?
The Sox already picked up one of the best in the business last trade deadline, he goes by the name Leury.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:58 PM
WSI High Priest

I still think one of the two between Beckham or Gillaspie will be traded to open up a spot for Marcus. I don't think Leurey Garcia should be here yet. I think trading Beckham to the Braves makes the most sense. Trading Keppinger won't get anything of value and would just be a salary dump. Even if Beckham nets a busted prospect, that's still something.