White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 12-06-2013, 02:32 AM
Stanley Stanley is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 163
Default

3 DH's, no 3rd basemen, Ronald Belisario.

But hold on...there's still time. For the Sox to not trade Dunn and not make any other significant moves and have this be the worst off-season ever.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 12-06-2013, 07:41 AM
Vernam Vernam is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
3 DH's, no 3rd basemen, Ronald Belisario.

But hold on...there's still time. For the Sox to not trade Dunn and not make any other significant moves and have this be the worst off-season ever.
After signing Abreu, to make this the worst off-season ever, Hahn would have to trade Sale straight-up to the Tigers for Jeremy Bonderman. Read up just a bit on Sox history.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 12-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Danryan Danryan is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: chicago
Posts: 87
Default

Doesn't a team need a veteran presence? Or is that theory overblown? Does Dunn with his 200 strikeouts qualify, Beckham, Alexi, Keppinger? I think Paulie's return is quite plausible. Especially on the terms he is coming back on.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 12-06-2013, 09:02 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,261
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
Just like you have no answer to who's going to be your left handed bat who can his over 30 + Hrs and hit near a 100 rbi's. But save this post because I want to hear you spincast this one and how he helped the 2014 in anyway.
Wait, you realize there was only 3 left-handed hitters in the AL last year who hit 30/100, right? The Sox are far from the only team that don't have one of those guys
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 12-06-2013, 09:08 AM
ZombieRob ZombieRob is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Braunfels Texas
Posts: 7,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danryan View Post
Doesn't a team need a veteran presence? Or is that theory overblown? Does Dunn with his 200 strikeouts qualify, Beckham, Alexi, Keppinger? I think Paulie's return is quite plausible. Especially on the terms he is coming back on.
They could at least bring a veteran in who can at least hit more then 12 Hr's in 400+ ab's Run to first without feeling faint, actually crouch down for a grounder to his left or right. Maybe get an outfielder who can actually get into some games and make a difference instead of pop ups and double plays. Maybe get a guy who can actually run and beat out a chopper or steal you a base late in a game. It's really going to suck during interleague play. Anyone think of that?
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 12-06-2013, 09:12 AM
ZombieRob ZombieRob is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Braunfels Texas
Posts: 7,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Wait, you realize there was only 3 left-handed hitters in the AL last year who hit 30/100, right? The Sox are far from the only team that don't have one of those guys
Then that's an asset yes? And that's my point and you answered it. How many teams have that? Dunn overpaid? yes. Should he bat clean up? no (5th or 6th) Is Dunn useless no. He's has 1 bad non productive year with the Sox. Fans have every reason to be disapointed, but seriously Dunn has become the whipping boy of this team even though it really hasn't been all that horrible. He even made the All-Star team as a White Sox

BTW Dunn in 3 years 86 hr's
Konerko 3 years 69 hr's

Last edited by ZombieRob; 12-06-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 12-06-2013, 09:20 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,261
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
Then that's an asset yes? And that's my point and you answered it. How many teams have that? Dunn overpaid? yes. Should he bat clean up? no (5th or 6th) Is Dunn useless no. He's has 1 bad non productive year with the Sox. Fans have every reason to be disapointed, but seriously Dunn has become the whipping boy of this team even though it really hasn't been all that horrible.
Wait, what? The Sox haven't had anyone hit for 30/100 since Konerko in 2011 and haven't had a lefty do it since Thome in '06.

I agree Dunn gets a lot of grief here, but let's not act like he doesn't deserve it. His oWAR in 3 seasons with the Sox is 0.5. Zero point five. He's contributed half of one win in 3 seasons with his bat (sort of important for a DH). And he has been absolutely miserable against left handed hitters so a straight Konkero/Dunn DH platoon actually doesn't bug me, I'm really more worried that Ventura won't be able to keep those guys to a schedule. I've got a bad feeling we're going to see Dunn and Konerko in the same lineup more than for an occasional day of rest for some other guys.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 12-06-2013, 09:31 AM
ZombieRob ZombieRob is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Braunfels Texas
Posts: 7,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Wait, what? The Sox haven't had anyone hit for 30/100 since Konerko in 2011 and haven't had a lefty do it since Thome in '06.

I agree Dunn gets a lot of grief here, but let's not act like he doesn't deserve it. His oWAR in 3 seasons with the Sox is 0.5. Zero point five. He's contributed half of one win in 3 seasons with his bat (sort of important for a DH). And he has been absolutely miserable against left handed hitters so a straight Konkero/Dunn DH platoon actually doesn't bug me, I'm really more worried that Ventura won't be able to keep those guys to a schedule. I've got a bad feeling we're going to see Dunn and Konerko in the same lineup more than for an occasional day of rest for some other guys.
Why can't Garcia Dunn and Abrue rotate the DH? Again, why not try and get a different element like someone who can steal a base spell an outfielder without losing to much anywhere else or someone who can pinch run and grab the Sox a base?
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 12-06-2013, 10:16 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,877
Default

The hyperbole and pants pissing on this thread has reached epic proportions...
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 12-06-2013, 10:17 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 47,971
Blog Entries: 9
Default

OMG! In a season that is pretty much a rebuilding year with little chance at the post season the Sox signed an all time fan favorite who has been with the team for his whole career (for the most part), was a captain for a good chunk of those years and helped lead the team to their first WS title in anyone's lifetime for one final season at a very reasonable rate so he could retire with the team.

EVERYBODY FREAK OUT!

When Dunn get's traded mid-season (and he will) the problem of too many batters for too few AB is solved.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old 12-06-2013, 10:30 AM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 5,611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
Then that's an asset yes? And that's my point and you answered it. How many teams have that? Dunn overpaid? yes. Should he bat clean up? no (5th or 6th) Is Dunn useless no. He's has 1 bad non productive year with the Sox. Fans have every reason to be disapointed, but seriously Dunn has become the whipping boy of this team even though it really hasn't been all that horrible. He even made the All-Star team as a White Sox

BTW Dunn in 3 years 86 hr's
Konerko 3 years 69 hr's
Dunn is a whipping boy because he deserves it- hitting .204 in 2012 was a bad year and nothing to be proud of.

He hit <.200 in 3 of 6 months in 2013-

Of the 15 DH's in the AL- Dunn was ranked 13th-

Just because he didn't suck as bad in 2012 and 2013 as he did in 2011- doesn't mean he didn't suck-
__________________
TomBradley72
http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/334c0314
2014 Record: 2-3
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 12-06-2013, 10:31 AM
spawn's Avatar
spawn spawn is offline
Everybody's All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: My Mother's Basement, Plainfield,Il.
Posts: 11,810
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
The hyperbole and pants pissing on this thread has reached epic proportions...
It's pretty comical.
__________________


A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 12-06-2013, 11:39 AM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Dunn is a whipping boy because he deserves it- hitting .204 in 2012 was a bad year and nothing to be proud of.

He hit <.200 in 3 of 6 months in 2013-

Of the 15 DH's in the AL- Dunn was ranked 13th-

Just because he didn't suck as bad in 2012 and 2013 as he did in 2011- doesn't mean he didn't suck-
Really fans should have been more upset with the Dunn signing than this thread would have you believe they are about the Konerko signing, especially considering the terms. And if you go back to the Dunn-signing-day thread, only a scant few of us were.

The anger in this thread rivals the anger over not signing Frank Thomas after a season in which he couldn't even play in 40 games, and the White Sox won the World Series without him.

I like the Konerko signing at the terms of the Konerko signing, especially for Abreu's first year in American baseball. It isn't a big move, but for what it is, I think it's a good baseball move.
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 12-06-2013, 11:48 AM
TaylorStSox TaylorStSox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington & Talman
Posts: 4,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Really fans should have been more upset with the Dunn signing than this thread would have you believe they are about the Konerko signing, especially considering the terms. And if you go back to the Dunn-signing-day thread, only a scant few of us were.

The anger in this thread rivals the anger over not signing Frank Thomas after a season in which he couldn't even play in 40 games, and the White Sox won the World Series without him.

I like the Konerko signing at the terms of the Konerko signing, especially for Abreu's first year in American baseball. It isn't a big move, but for what it is, I think it's a good baseball move.
The Sox won the World Series with Frank Thomas. He has the ring to prove it.

This is an awful baseball move, but I don't really care. We're going to suck with, or without Paul Konerko.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 12-06-2013, 12:00 PM
cws05champ cws05champ is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Del Boca Vista, Florida
Posts: 3,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
3 DH's, no 3rd basemen, Ronald Belisario.

But hold on...there's still time. For the Sox to not trade Dunn and not make any other significant moves and have this be the worst off-season ever.
You add Belisario to your list of grievances?? These are signings smart teams make....1 yr deal, low money and an ultra tradeable commodity at the deadline when the Sox fall out of it. We'll end up paying him $1.6M and probably get a B level prospect back at the deadline.
__________________

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.