White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2013, 11:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
YAWN.

This is the result of longevity, which makes Paul opportunistic as opposed to remarkable. Having career years at the right time helped Paul immensely.
Hahahahahaha. Amazing.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
YAWN.

This is the result of longevity, which makes Paul opportunistic as opposed to remarkable. Having career years at the right time helped Paul immensely.
This is on par with the "I'm not counting some of Joe Crede's HR's and walks" and "AJ has a hollow .300 average" posts.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Bring Back Geoff Blum he hit a HR to win the series. Can we bring back Contreras to help with our young staff? Willie Harris available to help with the outfielders? Hell with I'll say it. Bring Back Rowand he can pinch hit and play outfield.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:33 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
Bring Back Geoff Blum he hit a HR to win the series. Can we bring back Contreras to help with our young staff? Willie Harris available to help with the outfielders? Hell with I'll say it. Bring Back Rowand he can pinch hit and play outfield.
Oh boy. Hyperbole much?

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 12-05-2013, 12:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
Oh boy. Hyperbole much?
What is hyperbole is Konerko's bull**** saying he wants to help the Sox Turn it around. How? by taking away AB to people who need them to develop? Fans on this board really believing he's a better option then Dunn? If Sox fans want to hold on to a memory of 2005. I don't care who gets pissed or cries. It's a stupid ass move and selfish on his part.

Last edited by ZombieRob; 12-05-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:53 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
What is hyperbole is Konerko's bull**** saying he wants to help the Sox Turn it around. How? by taking away AB to people who need them to develop? Fans on this board really believing he's a better option then Dunn? If Sox fans want to hold on to a memory of 2005. I don't care who gets pissed or cries. But I really wouldn't be if it's more of a bull**** move to get this man to 500 so he can get into the HOF.
Who is he taking ABs from?

Unless he hits 66 home runs this year, he's not getting to 500. I'm quite sure that's not part of the agenda here.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 12-05-2013, 01:00 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
YAWN.

Those two words are the most amusing two words in a silly post. A "career year," by definition, is something that happens one time. It's an outlier where a player for one season, for whatever reason, greatly exceeds his career norms. For example, Esteban Loaiza had a "career year" in a White Sox uni in 2003.

It's impossible to have multiple "career years." If a guy has more than one season where he plays extremely well, that is a phenomenon known as "being a good player." A "good player" is something that Konerko was for a very long time on the South Side of Chicago. He's in decline now, and the end is near. However, it is ludicrous to piss on what he has accomplished in a White Sox uniform just because you don't like the decision to bring him back for one last season.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:17 AM
WSI Guru

Frankly, the anger I've seen in this thread and elsewhere is completely unjustified. It would be one thing if the Sox were bringing back Konerko for purposes of making him the centerpiece of the lineup. That would be bad business, but that's not what they are doing. Konerko is not that centerpiece guy anymore. He recognizes that. As long as the Sox use him as part of a platoon with Dunn, there's a chance his presence could be beneficial for the team.

Furthermore, it's only $2.5 million. Who gives a ****? It's not like spending that money is going to limit the Sox in whatever other moves they intend to make this offseason. That's a drop in the bucket. Some are making it sound like this signing is going to hamstring the organization for years. I call bull**** on that. There are very few posters here who expect a contending team in 2014. What's the worse that can happen? Konerko makes a mediocre team bad? Or a bad team worse? So what? Quite a few of you guys are gung-ho about getting high draft picks over the course of the next couple years anyway. You might get your wish, regardless of what is going on with Konerko.

The only real legitimate complaint here is that Konerko's presence limits roster flexibility. It does. And even before the Konerko signing, the roster was too heavy on infielders and too light on outfielders. For that reason, I would be very surprised if the offseason passes without a significant trade being made, likely involving one of the incumbent middle infielders, a starting pitcher, or perhaps even Adam Dunn. Also, Hahn needs to get Keppinger outta here. He serves little purpose.

I'll wait and see what other moves are in the offing before I pass judgment on Hahn's offseason. The winter meetings haven't even started yet.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:33 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Who is he taking ABs from?

Unless he hits 66 home runs this year, he's not getting to 500. I'm quite sure that's not part of the agenda here.
Whomever takes his place. The Agenda is all about promotion. Any real team's Agenda would use this as a great time to end an era of 9 years of futility and start bringing in something new. This is a lateral move hoping to make the fans happy and put a tear in Jerrys eye
Old 12-05-2013, 03:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

If the Sox end up platooning Konerko and Dunn at DH, that might actually be fairly effective. It would also increase Dunn's trade value for a mid-season deal.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post

Furthermore, it's only $2.5 million. Who gives a ****? It's not like spending that money is going to limit the Sox in whatever other moves they intend to make this offseason....
Yeah, the money is clearly not the issue of concern, it's the roster space. It's going to be tough to have the flexibility I would think you would want if you are in the Sox' position with Konerko, Dunn and Abreu on the roster.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Fans on this board really believing he's a better option then Dunn?
Definitely could be. 2 years ago PK put up an .857 OPS. Dunn hasn't done that since 2010.

I won't be shocked if PK bounces back.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:33 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
Definitely could be. 2 years ago PK put up an .857 OPS. Dunn hasn't done that since 2010.

I won't be shocked if PK bounces back.
And last year Konerko was the 3rd worst ranked player in Baseball. Also who is going to bat left on a team that really needs it? Dunn was by far the least of the Sox problems last year, in fact Konerko was a big part of the debacle last season. Do you think Konerko taking a Roster spot for 1 more year is going to help and teach the young kids? Can't he do that as an instructor or a coach?
Old 12-05-2013, 07:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
And last year Konerko was the 3rd worst ranked player in Baseball. Also who is going to bat left on a team that really needs it? Dunn was by far the least of the Sox problems last year, in fact Konerko was a big part of the debacle last season. Do you think Konerko taking a Roster spot for 1 more year is going to help and teach the young kids? Can't he do that as an instructor or a coach?
I suspect that if Konerko plays April and May and is as horrible as last year, he might just retire for the sake of the team and to avoid further embarrassment (see Ken Griffey Jr in his last season). I highly doubt that he'll want to sit on the bench all year for no reason if he really is one of the very worst players in baseball (which I don't expect him to be).
Old 12-05-2013, 08:03 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
Oh boy. Hyperbole much?
This is the same poster who thinks the Blackhawks, defending Stanley Cup champions and current #1 overall team in the NHL, "play down to their competition" because they had 1 bad game on a rough, 2-week long road trip (that they still ended up winning in regulation, anyway).

So... take it with a grain of salt.