White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2013, 02:40 PM
WSI High Priest

I was listening to Ranger on The Score a few weekends ago and even he was asking the question of what do you do with a roster that has three first basemen on it with Konerko, Dunn, and Abreu.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
I was listening to Ranger on The Score a few weekends ago and even he was asking the question of what do you do with a roster that has three first basemen on it with Konerko, Dunn, and Abreu.
The Sox have had many rosters with about 8 DHs on it and have made it through the season. It's definitely not ideal, but if Paulie wants to play one more year, so what. It's not like he's taking a good player's roster spot. You never know, the White Sox treating Paulie well could pay off someday with other players.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestani View Post
My thoughts are, Reinsdorf is still hurting for the way Fisk was let go.

He wants to make up for sending a fan favorite,(Fisk) packing, before the player is ready to walk.

Hopefully, they have a plan to dump Dunn and eat most of his salary as we all know, he will not be missed...!!!
Not to mention how the Big Hurt exited Chicago before being welcomed back in the past couple of years.

I've always envied the Yankees in that as much wheeling and dealing as they do, they still held onto Posada, Rivera, and eventually Jeter through their entire careers. I would have loved to have seen AJ, Paulie, and Buehrle all retire as Sox, but have to be content that at least #14 won't finish his career somewhere else.

Obligatory 2014 attendance record: 1-1

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

JACK....IS....BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2013, 03:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
As crazy as it sounds, Dunn has actually had a better career.
That doesn't sound crazy at all.

What's crazy is that the White Sox have had no problem getting rid of better players, like Ray Durham, for garbage (Adkins), yet have no problem keeping Konerko around for no good reason.

Durham had a career WAR of 33.7, while Konerko's is at 28.5 and dropping. I guess paying Konerko over 127 million dollars for his rather unremarkable career isn't enough?

Konerko doesn't do ANYTHING well at this point in his career. He has no power, doesn't hit for average, has no range at 1B and is the slowest runner in baseball. What a waste of a roster spot.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:29 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
The 2014 slogan is clearly going to be '**** it'.
Ha! They should put up a billboard near the park with that Gary Coleman shrugging picture!
Old 12-04-2013, 03:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakath View Post
Not to mention how the Big Hurt exited Chicago before being welcomed back in the past couple of years.

I've always envied the Yankees in that as much wheeling and dealing as they do, they still held onto Posada, Rivera, and eventually Jeter through their entire careers. I would have loved to have seen AJ, Paulie, and Buehrle all retire as Sox, but have to be content that at least #14 won't finish his career somewhere else.
FWIW, the White Sox have retired the numbers of nine former players. Only two (Lyons and Appling) spent their entire careers with the Sox. Four of the nine players who have had their numbers retired (Fox, Aparicio, Pierce and Frank Thomas) ended their careers with teams other than the Sox. Besides, Paulie had already stated that he wasn't going to sign with another team.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryzner View Post
Bold prediction time! Konerko will have something of a comeback season at age 38, hitting a respectable .280, with 25 HR and knocking in 90+.

So the Sox are going to sign some top of the order bats for PK to drive in? Cool...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 12-04-2013, 03:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

I am glad and hope it works out. It would surprise me at all if Paulie makes a substantial improvement over last year. He's a class act and deserves to go out on his own terms.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
I guess paying Konerko over 127 million dollars for his rather unremarkable career isn't enough?
I guess if being a 6x All-Star with 427 White Sox home runs and a batting average of .283 (and not to mention, a ring) is unremarkable, then I don't really care to know what your definition of remarkable is

Old 12-04-2013, 04:13 PM
WSI Personality

I can't believe some people here are getting so worked up over such a minor move, the Sox are not contending in 2014.

Give Paulie his farewell tour and be done with it.

"I give you five minutes when we get there. Anything happens in that five minutes and I'm yours. No matter what. Anything a minute on either side of that and you're on your own. I don't sit in while you're running it down. I don't carry a gun. I drive."
Old 12-04-2013, 04:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan View Post
I guess if being a 6x All-Star with 427 White Sox home runs and a batting average of .283 (and not to mention, a ring) is unremarkable, then I don't really care to know what your definition of remarkable is
Someone better than a glorified Kent Hrebek would qualify. He had a career .282 BA and won two rings
Old 12-04-2013, 04:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Someone better than a glorified Kent Hrebek would qualify. He had a career .282 BA and won two rings
He also only had 293 home runs and 1086 RBIs.

Do you realize that only 44 players in the history of baseball have hit more home runs than Paul Konerko? He's also in the top 100 in RBIs as well. Show some respect.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 12-04-2013, 04:43 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
He also only had 293 home runs and 1086 RBIs.

Do you realize that only 44 players in the history of baseball have hit more home runs than Paul Konerko? He's also in the top 100 in RBIs as well. Show some respect.
YAWN.

This is the result of longevity, which makes Paul opportunistic as opposed to remarkable. Having career years at the right time helped Paul immensely.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
YAWN.

This is the result of longevity, which makes Paul opportunistic as opposed to remarkable. Having career years at the right time helped Paul immensely.
Wait, what? Isn't there something to be said for longevity and consistency? And EVERY great player had a "career year" at some point.

Go Sox!!!
Old 12-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
YAWN.

Huh?