White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2013, 10:18 AM
WSI Prelate

That is disappointing.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:19 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
A Paul Konerko Farewell Tour will put butts in the seats during a bad 2014 season. Marketing move, not a baseball move.
Not even remotely true.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
A Paul Konerko Farewell Tour will put butts in the seats during a bad 2014 season. Marketing move, not a baseball move.
Nobody goes to baseball games to see Paul Konerko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 12-04-2013, 10:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Dumping Dunn will put more butts in seats than bringing Paul back.

Even if he can only hit just slightly better than last season, Konerko at $1.5M is a no-brainer.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post

Even if he can only hit just slightly better than last season, Konerko at $1.5M is a no-brainer.
It's technically still $2.5M because of $1M of deferred money we already owe him this year (we already owed him $1M deferred each year 2014-2020, so we're just adding a year on, now).

Old 12-04-2013, 10:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

I would have thought with the kind of team the Sox will put out next year, bench flexibility would have been an important consideration. This signing makes no sense. I was hopeful after the trade deadline moves and the signing of Abreu that the Sox were turning the corner with fresh talent, but I just can't understand carrying Konerko on this roster. Unless of course Hahn pulls off the miracle of dumping Dunn, but I'm not holding my breath. Assuming the Sox continue with the twelve man pitching staff, this leaves just three spots on the bench. Doesn't seem to be the way to go when they should be looking at who can contribute in the future.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I disagree. A Paul Konerko Day in June or July after he's retired will likely be a sell-out. A Farewell Tour diluted over 81 dates will have negligable impact. A Konerko's Last Stand Day at the end of the 2014 season when everyone in Chicago has already mentally checked out of baseball and is thinking about the Bears will draw fewer fans to the park than if PK had already retired and was being honored with a mid-summer Day (like Frank was).
Old 12-04-2013, 10:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I would have thought with the kind of team the Sox will put out next year, bench flexibility would have been an important consideration. This signing makes no sense. I was hopeful after the trade deadline moves and the signing of Abreu that the Sox were turning the corner with fresh talent, but I just can't understand carrying Konerko on this roster. Unless of course Hahn pulls off the miracle of dumping Dunn, but I'm not holding my breath. Assuming the Sox continue with the twelve man pitching staff, this leaves just three spots on the bench. Doesn't seem to be the way to go when they should be looking at who can contribute in the future.
Completely agree. The Sox may have 5 guys on their Opening Day Roster who can play first base (Dunn, Abreau, PK, Keppinger and Gillaspie). The only way allowing Paulie to return makes any sense is if Hahn has a Dump Dunn Deal up his sleeve.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:40 AM
WSI Personality

Dumb.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Completely agree. The Sox may have 5 guys on their Opening Day Roster who can play first base (Dunn, Abreau, PK, Keppinger and Gillaspie). The only way allowing Paulie to return makes any sense is if Hahn has a Dump Dunn Deal up his sleeve.
I don't even see how they can carry those five guys. You can't have a four man bench with three infielders, none of whom can play shortstop. I guess Gillaspie can play left field, but you'd have a bench without anyone capable at SS or CF. Considering Dunn and Keppinger are probably next to un-moveable, it seems the only option would be to get rid of Gillaspie, the only guy out of that group that I would want!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I don't even see how they can carry those five guys. You can't have a four man bench with three infielders, none of whom can play shortstop. I guess Gillaspie can play left field, but you'd have a bench without anyone capable at SS or CF. Considering Dunn and Keppinger are probably next to un-moveable, it seems the only option would be to get rid of Gillaspie, the only guy out of that group that I would want!
I agree with you, but the Sox played most of last season without a back-up shortstop (unless you consider Beckham to be an option). They look at A. Garcia as a back-up in center. Gillaspie in LF? Why not. In past years, this organization stuck Ozuna, Sax and other infielders out there so what the heck -- I guess anyone can play left. Put Flowers out there. See what happens.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

To those crapping all over this signing, have you read what Hahn even said about it?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news...nt_id=64383606

Paulie won't be an every day player.
He's going to have a big role in helping Abreu adjust to playing first base every day in the majors. I think it's a great move. PK has been nothing but a great pro his entire career with the Sox and this is good for both him at the organization.

Yeah it would be exciting to sign some big free agents but Hahn has said all along they need to build their system with young, good players through trades and the draft.

Do people really want the Sox to overspend on players with long contracts and be stuck with overpaid players at the end of deals?
Old 12-04-2013, 10:55 AM
WSI Prelate

This makes too much sense to not do. $2.5m is über-cheap, I don't get what all the fuss is about.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
This makes too much sense to not do. $2.5m is über-cheap, I don't get what all the fuss is about.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:58 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post

He's a Dh who can't hit or run. What value does he bring. Annoying as Dunn is, he's a much better hitter.