White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2013, 08:09 PM
WSI Regular

Default Historic Sox videos on YouTube

I don't know how long they'll be up, but there are some interesting old videos on YouTube:

Extended clips of a couple of 1970 White Sox-Red Sox games at Fenway Park. Audio from the Red Sox announcers. Luis Aparicio, Carlos May, and Buddy Bradford were in the lineup, with Bart Johnson pitching the first game. The Sox won the second game 22-13, as Walt "No Neck" Williams went 5 for 5 and Bill Melton drove in 4 runs.

Part of the 1972 All-Star Game with an at-bat by Dick Allen and a shot of Wilbur Wood warming up in the bullpen.

1977 opening day vs. Toronto -- the first game in the history of the Blue Jays franchise. Richie Zisk homers in his first White Sox at-bat. (Blue Jays announcers.)

I remember this one (as covered by TWIB at 14:22), Lamarr Johnson sings the national anthem, then gets the only three Sox hits of the game -- two of them homers -- as the Sox beat the A's 2-1 and move into first place. June 19, 1977.

One of the games that the Sox won ugly in 1983, as seen on Sportsvision with Joe McConnell and Early Wynn. And one they blew earlier in the season with McConnell and Ken Wilson on the call. (Where were Don Drysdale and Hawk during those games?)
Old 11-18-2013, 09:07 PM
WSI Guru

Joe McConnell's voice takes me back about 30 years. What a great announcer. Loved him back in the old WMAQ days. Thanks for posting these links. I enjoyed going through that September A's game last night.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 11-18-2013, 11:19 PM
WSI High Priest

I watched the 1970 DH, fond memories forsure. One thing that came back to me was yastrzemski wasnt really much of a fielder, he could play the jai alai wall but not much else.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Who the heck was Ken Wilson?

I did enjoy the "white socks" on the 1970 uniforms-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 11-19-2013, 09:27 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Who the heck was Ken Wilson?

I did enjoy the "white socks" on the 1970 uniforms-
Baseball and hockey announcer. Did the Hawks games in the early '80s, but spent most of his career with the St. Louis Blues. Also did stints on the Cardinals, Reds, and Mariners broadcast crews.

I was really surprised to see McConnell announcing two entire games on Sportsvision in 1983. I always remembered Hawk and Drysdale as the TV crew in those days, with McConnell and Early Wynn doing mainly radio. Did they flip that for some games in '83? Was the "A team" moved to radio because the radio audience was bigger than the Sportsvision audience?
Old 11-19-2013, 09:46 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kba View Post
I was really surprised to see McConnell announcing two entire games on Sportsvision in 1983. I always remembered Hawk and Drysdale as the TV crew in those days, with McConnell and Early Wynn doing mainly radio. Did they flip that for some games in '83? Was the "A team" moved to radio because the radio audience was bigger than the Sportsvision audience?
This is only a guess. Don Drysdale did quite a few games for ABC back then (Monday Night Baseball). The Sox also had Lorn Brown to do fill-in work on the radio side. On the nights that Drysdale worked for the network, they may have moved McConnell (and sometimes Wynn) to the tv side, giving Hawk the night off, and allowing Lorn Brown to do the radio call on his own (or with Wynn). It would be interesting to look up the dates of those two 1983 games and see if they fell on Monday nights.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
This is only a guess. Don Drysdale did quite a few games for ABC back then (Monday Night Baseball). The Sox also had Lorn Brown to do fill-in work on the radio side. On the nights that Drysdale worked for the network, they may have moved McConnell (and sometimes Wynn) to the tv side, giving Hawk the night off, and allowing Lorn Brown to do the radio call on his own (or with Wynn). It would be interesting to look up the dates of those two 1983 games and see if they fell on Monday nights.
Not at all difficult; BB-Ref gives day of the week on their schedule/results pages.

Neither of those games took place on a Monday--7-21 was a Thursday; 9-7 was a Wednesday.

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform ó and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 11-19-2013, 10:32 PM
WSI Personality

It's always nice seeing Old Comiskey.