White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 12:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Based on their actions, I think they are in complete rebuild and not saying it. They dumped what they could and have put everything else out there. They've only been spending on prospects. It's pretty clear this is a rebuild.
At age 24- Quintana is younger than Abreu (26), same age as Sale and only 2 years older than Garcia- I think he's part of the rebuild-
MLB Parks Visited: 24
MiLB Parks Visited: 11
Old 11-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
At age 24- Quintana is younger than Abreu (26), same age as Sale and only 2 years older than Garcia- I think he's part of the rebuild-
It's about ceiling. Quintana might be a long term middle of rotation starter, or he might lose it. But he's not a core piece. He could get you one though, as he's cheap and effective now. I'd trade him.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
It's about ceiling. Quintana might be a long term middle of rotation starter, or he might lose it. But he's not a core piece. He could get you one though, as he's cheap and effective now. I'd trade him.
OK- I would disagree with your assessment on him- I think his ceiling is as a #2- or he'll make a very good #3- with Sale as our ace- I think that make Quintana a part of the "rebuilt" White Sox.

He's shown tremendous make up and poise since coming up in 2011- developing physically so he can stand the rigors of 30 GS/200 innings- and he's been a "tough luck" pitcher- deserving alot more than the 9 wins for each of 2011 and 2012- not sure if we're really "selling high".

If we can get a can't miss young 3rd baseman/catcher/center fielder- I'd consider making trading him- but for anything less- I'd rather keep him.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Over the last 2 years, Quintana has produced at the level of a mid tier number 2. Yet, he might be a mid rotation starter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 11-18-2013, 03:37 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Over the last 2 years, Quintana has produced at the level of a mid tier number 2. Yet, he might be a mid rotation starter?
Don't you know it's because he's a soft-tossing deception artists even though anyone who has watched him pitch over the last year or has looked at his Pitch F/X numbers couldn't possibly come to that conclusion?

0-1

LAST GAME: April 12 - Indians 12, Sox 6
NEXT GAME: April 16 vs. Boston
Old 11-18-2013, 03:42 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Over the past 2 seasons, Quintana's WAR is 7.8 which is tied for the 16th best in all of baseball with R.A. Dickey
Old 11-18-2013, 03:47 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Don't you know it's because he's a soft-tossing deception artists even though anyone who has watched him pitch over the last year or has looked at his Pitch F/X numbers couldn't possibly come to that conclusion?
When did we get Buehrle back?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 11-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Over the past 2 seasons, Quintana's WAR is 7.8 which is tied for the 16th best in all of baseball with R.A. Dickey
Would you want to build around R.A. Dickey?

Look, I don't want to take away from what Quintana's accomplished. But I also don't want to see the White Sox make the mistake of counting on him long term. And I really would like them to dupe someone into paying for him like a high end starter.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Would you want to build around R.A. Dickey?

Look, I don't want to take away from what Quintana's accomplished. But I also don't want to see the White Sox make the mistake of counting on him long term. And I really would like them to dupe someone into paying for him like a high end starter.
An awful argument on so many levels.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

I get where Blandman is coming from on Quintana. Guys like him succeeding are not the norm.

If they could get the a young cost control offensive player I'd make that flip. But when do those kinds of trades happen?
Old 11-18-2013, 07:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
I get where Blandman is coming from on Quintana. Guys like him succeeding are not the norm.

If they could get the a young cost control offensive player I'd make that flip. But when do those kinds of trades happen?
Give me examples of guys like him, young lefties with 300+ innings of 3.50 ERA pitching in their first 2 seasons in the bigs, not succeeding, since that's apparently the norm.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Give me examples of guys like him, young lefties with 300+ innings of 3.50 ERA pitching in their first 2 seasons in the bigs, not succeeding, since that's apparently the norm.
Forget his age and his left handedness. When do guys with no plus pitches have long careers as elite pitchers? I know, everyone hates when I say the reason is he's deceptive because it's not quantifiable in the numbers sense, but he's the most deceptive pitcher in baseball and that's why he's succeeding more than anything else he brings to the table. Traditionally, that doesn't last. At least not at an elite level. There has to be something more.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Forget his age and his left handedness. When do guys with no plus pitches have long careers as elite pitchers? I know, everyone hates when I say the reason is he's deceptive because it's not quantifiable in the numbers sense, but he's the most deceptive pitcher in baseball and that's why he's succeeding more than anything else he brings to the table. Traditionally, that doesn't last. At least not at an elite level. There has to be something more.
That's your opinion, then. If you want to say that it's not quantifiable statistically, fine, but I don't see how you expect anybody to agree with when that's the case and you seem to be seeing a completely different pitcher than almost everybody else.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Just due to the fact that the Sox have had Buerhle should tell you that it's possible to have a long career in the majors without a true plus pitch.

I'm not saying that he'll be elite. I'm saying that for him to be of use to the Sox, all he needs to be is above average to have a long career. Also, I like that Quintana is, for lack of a better word, clutch. Sure, he works his way into bad situations...but most of the time he gets his way out of them.

He's certainly got stones.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
And I really would like them to dupe someone into paying for him like a high end starter.
I could go for that.
Closed Thread