White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
It will be tough to be worse than last year.

I know people will look at teams that have gone from worst to first and think "Well, it's a crapshoot," but it isn't. If it was really a crapshoot, you wouldn't see too many repeat World Series champs. They are cherrypicking times when that happened while completely ignoring the *huge* number of times it has not.
Generally, worst to first teams were worst for a while and it's the culmination of years of development.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Generally, worst to first teams were worst for a while and it's the culmination of years of development.
Or not. That may have been the case with the Red Sox of 1967, but not with the Red Sox of 2013.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:03 PM
WSI High Priest

It's a long shot- but I'm not giving up on a season before Memorial Day- much less Opening Day or in November of the offseason.

The 1972, 1977, 1990 White Sox teams all came out of nowhere- and while the 2005 team wasn't a complete surprise- no one could have predicted the huge improvement vs. 2004.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 11-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Or not. That may have been the case with the Red Sox of 1967, but not with the Red Sox of 2013.
Yeah but the 2012 Red Sox suffered because of injuries and bad team chemistry and were actually not a bad team. They still had high end pitchers and position players, and then added to that more high end players (and high end prospects). The 2013 White Sox suffered from fielding amongst the worst 25 guys in baseball as a team. It's not the same thing.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
It's a long shot- but I'm not giving up on a season before Memorial Day- much less Opening Day or in November of the offseason.

The 1972, 1977, 1990 White Sox teams all came out of nowhere- and while the 2005 team wasn't a complete surprise- no one could have predicted the huge improvement vs. 2004.
This guy did.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
This year's team could actually be worse, considering the young pitching is likely (I'm looking squarely at Santiago) to regress (or continue to regress, in his case).
Why should Santiago get worse? It was his first year starting and he was jerked around between the pen and rotation for a month and a half.
Frankly, if we're moving a pitching, I'd sell high and move Quintana first.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Bland you make me laugh. Trading Dunn is like a cat and mouse game? Give me a break, there is no team that is interested in Dunn. I think you've been saying that for two years...if there was, the Sox would have jumped all over an offer for a bag of balls by now.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:22 AM
WSI Regular

I'm thinking with my heart and not my head. Hell yeah, bring Paulie back if he wants.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Bland you make me laugh. Trading Dunn is like a cat and mouse game? Give me a break, there is no team that is interested in Dunn. I think you've been saying that for two years...if there was, the Sox would have jumped all over an offer for a bag of balls by now.
You never know. The Sox had three years of terrible pitching from Jaime Navarro and, before the fourth year, were somehow able to deal him for Jose Valentin and Cal Eldred.

And Dunn's 2012 was actually OK. Some team might gamble on Dunn popping 30 to 40 homers and take a chance, particularly if the Sox pay some of his salary. He has more upside than Navarro did, that's for sure.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:42 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post

And Dunn's 2012 was actually OK. Some team might gamble on Dunn popping 30 to 40 homers and take a chance, particularly if the Sox pay some of his salary. He has more upside than Navarro did, that's for sure.
Dunn cleared waivers last year, no deal was made then, the only way one is made now if the Sox salt pepper more of his salary. Maybe even then it isnt doable, we just dont know.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Who is more popular with Fans? Buerhle, AJ or Konerko? two of them are gone and the fans survived. Do we really need to see Konerko back and look miserable? Especially when the Sox could use that roster spot for something a little more versatile.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
Who is more popular with Fans? Buerhle, AJ or Konerko? two of them are gone and the fans survived. Do we really need to see Konerko back and look miserable? Especially when the Sox could use that roster spot for something a little more versatile.
Thank you!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 11-15-2013, 05:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
You never know. The Sox had three years of terrible pitching from Jaime Navarro and, before the fourth year, were somehow able to deal him for Jose Valentin and Cal Eldred.
Yeah; but we also had to give up John "5:00 shadow" Snyder in that deal!
Old 11-15-2013, 05:37 PM
WSI Prelate

I'm a little more optimistic than most about our ability to improve. I think defense is important, and ours was atrocious. And it's fixable fairly easily.
Offense is another matter....but they could make progress on that too if they try.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Why should Santiago get worse? It was his first year starting and he was jerked around between the pen and rotation for a month and a half.
Frankly, if we're moving a pitching, I'd sell high and move Quintana first.
That would be a HUGE mistake.
Closed Thread