White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2013, 05:25 PM
WSI Regular

Frank should be a sure thing. There will be some lame ass writers who will point out others who didn't get in on the first ballot as justification for snubbing Frank, I just don't understand that reasoning.

He was the best hitter of the 1990's. He was clean. He belongs in the Hall on the first ballot.

The End.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

It's an decidedly flawed selection process, so whenever he get's in it's cool by me.

You don't get a bigger plaque for being a first balloter.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

I think the only question is does he wear the Oakland or Toronto cap?

I know Thomas' enshrinement is a "when" and not an "if", but I think if he doesn't get in on the first ballot, it's a damn shame.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The real question is, whose making the trip to Cooperstown to see him get inducted?

This guy is.
That would be a great idea and I need to visit the midwest eventually anyway, so maybe next summer I'll do that and see some friends in Chicago and Dayton.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 11-13-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post
I think the only question is does he wear the Oakland or Toronto cap?

I know Thomas' enshrinement is a "when" and not an "if", but I think if he doesn't get in on the first ballot, it's a damn shame.
You misspelled criminal stupidity...
Old 11-13-2013, 05:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm going to say no. Not to be a contrarian, but I think the "DH bias" is going to hamstring him. I think enough voters offended about DHs soiling the purity of the game will tip the scales against him. Rick Diplander in our own fair city has been campaigning against Thomas for quite some time.

Also, I make a prediction-an unknown voter will get his name in the headlines by writing an article saying "How do we know Thomas never juiced? Because he says so? Well, blah blah blah blah."
Old 11-13-2013, 05:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
I'm going to say no. Not to be a contrarian, but I think the "DH bias" is going to hamstring him. I think enough voters offended about DHs soiling the purity of the game will tip the scales against him. Rick Diplander in our own fair city has been campaigning against Thomas for quite some time.

Also, I make a prediction-an unknown voter will get his name in the headlines by writing an article saying "How do we know Thomas never juiced? Because he says so? Well, blah blah blah blah."
This is why I havent put my 2 cents in yet. Im on the fence, hope so but dont know.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:02 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
The last time that was a relevant argument was years prior to the Mitchell Report. We live in a different "world" now. Big Frank is about as sure of a bet first-ballot Hall of Famer we will see until five years from now when Mariano goes in.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 11-13-2013, 08:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
You misspelled criminal stupidity...
Amen.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 11-13-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
The last time that was a relevant argument was years prior to the Mitchell Report. We live in a different "world" now. Big Frank is about as sure of a bet first-ballot Hall of Famer we will see until five years from now when Mariano goes in.
Wonder if Mariano will be the first guy to get 100%. If not whoever doesn't list him should be forced to turn in their voting credentials.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Wonder if Mariano will be the first guy to get 100%. If not whoever doesn't list him should be forced to turn in their voting credentials.
He won't be, simply because no other player has. It's stupid, but that's just the way it is.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 11-13-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
He won't be, simply because no other player has. It's stupid, but that's just the way it is.
Mariano clearly was the GOAT for his position. He's got tons of post season success under his belt too. He's one of those guys might hurt other people's chances that year because writers will feel compelled to write his name and no one else as a tribute to his greatness.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Mariano clearly was the GOAT for his position. He's got tons of post season success under his belt too. He's one of those guys might hurt other people's chances that year because writers will feel compelled to write his name and no one else as a tribute to his greatness.
Still doesn't mean he'll get in unanimously. There will be the writers that think since no one has gone in unanimously, then no one should. How many other players at their positions should have gone in unanimously and didn't? DiMaggio, Ruth, Ted Williams, Hank Aaron, etc. Hell, Nolan Ryan, Christy Matthewson, Walter Johnson... none made it in unanimously. Not saying Rivera doesn't deserve it, but don't assume that because he was the GOAT as a reliever means he'll get in unanimously. Baseball Writers have these stupid rules.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Still doesn't mean he'll get in unanimously. There will be the writers that den since no one has gone in unanimously, then no one should. How many other players at their positions should be gone in unanimously and didn't? DiMaggio, Ruth, Ted Williams, Hank Aaron, etc. Hell, Nolan Ryan, Christy Matthewson, Walter Johnson... none made it in unanimously. Not saying Rivera doesn't deserve it, but don't assume that because he was the GOAT as a reliever means he'll get in unanimously. Baseball Writers have these stupid rules.
No I actually assume he won't, just speculating. If anyone in the near future deserves to be considered for 100% Mariano is it.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:19 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Still doesn't mean he'll get in unanimously. There will be the writers that think since no one has gone in unanimously, then no one should. How many other players at their positions should have gone in unanimously and didn't? DiMaggio, Ruth, Ted Williams, Hank Aaron, etc. Hell, Nolan Ryan, Christy Matthewson, Walter Johnson... none made it in unanimously. Not saying Rivera doesn't deserve it, but don't assume that because he was the GOAT as a reliever means he'll get in unanimously. Baseball Writers have these stupid rules.
I have no doubt he won't get elected unanimously. Unfortunately, in today's environment, there's more incentive for a writer to not vote him in to get that heel recognition rather than to do the correct and proper thing the first time.