White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 09:11 PM
WSI Regular

It seems like bringing him back would be predicated on moving Dunn, which is by no means a given. Can't really afford to have three 1B/DH types on the roster taking up space, especially if your plan is to build for the future.

I love what Paulie has done for the Sox, but nothing lasts forever, and his time is done.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:16 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideMike View Post
It seems like bringing him back would be predicated on moving Dunn, which is by no means a given. Can't really afford to have three 1B/DH types on the roster taking up space, especially if your plan is to build for the future.

I love what Paulie has done for the Sox, but nothing lasts forever, and his time is done.
I frankly don't see how the Sox are moving Dunn, seems to speak more to the possibility Abreu might not be ready for the Majors on Day 1
Old 11-13-2013, 07:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Best case scenario is Paulie retires. And that's what I'm hoping occurs.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:30 AM
Banned

I'm okay with this, mostly because I don't see us competing next year. It displaces Dunn, who is better considering their respective career stages, but like I said in the grand scheme it doesn't matter because we won't compete.

All things considered, I'd rather show the respect to Paulie and have him DH 100 or so games.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:13 AM
WSI High Priest

Thanks for the memories but no thanks. It is time to part ways.
For those wanting to see a farewell tour, at what costs are you willing to see this? Yes, the Sox are not going to contend next year but I rather they try and field the best team possible. PK was atrocious last year, worse than Adam Dunn. What happens if you bring him back and he has another bad year? It's okay for PK to be horrible at the plate but not for Dunn?

I hope he retires and then the Sox can schedule a few celebrations.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:25 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
For those wanting to see a farewell tour, at what costs are you willing to see this? Yes, the Sox are not going to contend next year but I rather they try and field the best team possible. PK was atrocious last year, worse than Adam Dunn. What happens if you bring him back and he has another bad year? It's okay for PK to be horrible at the plate but not for Dunn?

If he retires, I am ok with that. I don't want to see PK play in another city for another team his last year. While it is not ok for him to be awful at the plate, I'd rather see him do it than Dunn. Dunn hasn't played first for 14 years.

I understand both sides, but I think (much like last year) we can afford to pay a guy $7 mil for a vet that has '05 ties. That might not be smart business, but it does play well for the fans. Most casual fans would rather see a PK farewell tour than have a new guy at 1st that no one knows.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Sox_Summer View Post
If he retires, I am ok with that. I don't want to see PK play in another city for another team his last year. While it is not ok for him to be awful at the plate, I'd rather see him do it than Dunn. Dunn hasn't played first for 14 years.

I understand both sides, but I think (much like last year) we can afford to pay a guy $7 mil for a vet that has '05 ties. That might not be smart business, but it does play well for the fans. Most casual fans would rather see a PK farewell tour than have a new guy at 1st that no one knows.
I didn't want to see Frank play for another city and it happened. I know the situations are different but nonetheless watching a fan favorite play on another team happens all the time.

IF we could get rid of Dunn then I would be all for Konerko staying but Dunn is not going anywhere. This team, as it currently stands, does not have room for Konerko. If he stays, I wont be upset and I really hope they don't pay him anywhere close to the $ 7MIL. $ 2-3 MIL tops. If he thinks he is worth more then that, let him taste free agency.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:

I don't know if PK over Dunn at DH is going to lose us any games in the grand scheme of things. Last year, they were both negative WAR players and if you believe what WAR represents, Konerko vs. Dunn is the difference of about one game.

PK would come cheap. We could probably get something for Dunn if we pay his entire salary. In that scenario, the move would actually become a win.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:54 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
If the Sox can perform magic and get rid of Dunn, Im ok with this. If not I'm seeing a lineup of PK/Abreu dh, 1b, beckham 2nd. ramirez ss, keppinger 3rd, dunn lf, a. garcia cf, viciedo rf, who cares, behind plate. One of the worst defensive and slowest teams I can think of. Finally, if Paul signs a deal with the Sox this year it wont be to do a Smoky Burgess role and for the people that think dunn will platoon, 15M wont sit on the Sox bench.
I sure hope this is NOT how the White Sox approach Dunn's final year with the Sox- Dunn has been a combined .197 hitter over 3 years, and he hit .197 vs. LHP in 2013 (.226 vs. RHP).

He needs to be dropped down to the bottom of the order vs. RHPs, and he should sit vs. LHP, with PK as DH.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 11-13-2013, 10:58 AM
WSI High Priest

Paul Konerko hit .313 (with a .398 OBP, .923 OPS) vs. LHP in 2013

Dunn hit .197 vs. LHP in 2013.

A platoon seems like a good idea to me-

If by mid-season- there are not takers for Dunn- and he's still crapping the bed the way he has for 3 seasons- release him-
Old 11-13-2013, 11:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I don't know if PK over Dunn at DH is going to lose us any games in the grand scheme of things. Last year, they were both negative WAR players and if you believe what WAR represents, Konerko vs. Dunn is the difference of about one game.

PK would come cheap. We could probably get something for Dunn if we pay his entire salary. In that scenario, the move would actually become a win.
In my opinion, PK is not worth eating all of Dunn's salary.
You would then have Dunn's salary plus whatever you are going to pay PK and end up with the same production. While he should come cheap, I just don't think it's a prudent business decision.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I'm okay with this, mostly because I don't see us competing next year. It displaces Dunn, who is better considering their respective career stages, but like I said in the grand scheme it doesn't matter because we won't compete.

All things considered, I'd rather show the respect to Paulie and have him DH 100 or so games.
Konerko had a worse year then Dunn and about as bad defensivily
Old 11-13-2013, 12:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Don't be so sure he'll come cheap. He is a proud man. I think he will retire if the number doesn't please him.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Dunn has been the whipping boy and somewhat unfairly so. For 68 mil Abreu better be with the team opening day. It's time for him to get his Harley and retire to the broadcast booth. It's time to develop players and Konerko would just get in the way.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
Dunn has been the whipping boy and somewhat unfairly so. For 68 mil Abreu better be with the team opening day. It's time for him to get his Harley and retire to the broadcast booth. It's time to develop players and Konerko would just get in the way.
But...they just signed him to play! And I don't know if his English would be up to snuff, yet...
Closed Thread