White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 02:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
Just looking over some of the previous ball-parks for teams that are now in "new" parks, it looks like 30-40 years of use is pretty normal.

Pirates (3 Rivers) - 30 years
Phillies (Veterans) - 31 years
Cardinals (Busch) - 39 years
Twins (baggie dome) - 27 years
Orioles (Memorial) - 37 years (though the park was there for 10 years before)
Braves (Fulton County) - 30 years
Brewers (County Stadium) - 37 years
Mets (Shea) - 44 years
Giants (Candlestick) - 40 years

While most of these were multi-purpose stadiums that were the cool new things when they were built and hated by the '90's, there is no reason to think that the shelf life of the newer stadiums isn't limited either, especially with how technology moves so much faster today.
County Stadium in Milwaukee was around for 47 years, 1953-2000, you forgot the Braves played there after moving from Boston.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:25 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Map of the new Braves Stadium:

Old 11-11-2013, 02:35 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Classic case of show me the money, Cobb county is coming up with 450 million to make the deal go. Atlanta said no way.
Absolutely. This is all about the Braves taking advantage of a deal too good to be true.

And if the Braves do rebrand, maybe they can have a new team song:

11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-1.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

I don't buy this for a second. Sounds like they just want a cut on the amount of the lease.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Nothing surprises any more. The Cubs, being one of the most profitable teams in baseball are currently complaining how they are cash short and need to raise more money before doing anything. And their fans are buying it!
Old 11-11-2013, 06:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Huh? Makes no sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
What a waste of resources-
Agreed. I'm glad Cobb County has $500M burning a hole in their pocket and doesn't have better ways to use those resources (lower taxes, investment in infrastructure/education/social services, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
Check out the map of season ticket holders. They do know where their fans are:

http://deadspin.com/reports-braves-l...nty-1462167449
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfourni View Post
If someone was going to hand me $500m and free land to build a ballpark, I'd probably take it too.

I think it would be interesting to see that map of ticket buyers for the sox and cubs.
In the late 1980s when JR and EE where planning to move the Sox to Addison, they said that a big chunk of Sox season ticket holders lived in DuPage County. That was one of their justifications for moving to Addison. Even if that was true, the Addison move was a lousy idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yeah, I agree, frankly, I think there might only be a few parks replaced before the Cell. Crazy as it is, it's the 9th oldest park in MLB now, Fenway and Wrigley aren't going anywhere. Neither is Kauffman. I doubt Dodger Stadium is, either, but this new ownership group is a real wild card.

So that leaves Angel Stadium, the Oakland Coliseum, Tropicana, and Skydome as the last 4 older parks. All of those seem likely to be replaced in the next 15 years, but after that, it has to be the Cell next in line, I'd think.

It will also be interesting to see what style ballpark the Braves end up building; wonder if they'll replicate their division rivals in Miami and build another contemporary park or if they'll go back to Retro Modern/Classic that has dominated MLB since Camden Yard opened.
I doubt the Angels will be leaving Angels Stadium any time soon. They are quite successful there. It doesn't have the charm of the new retro parks, but it's a pretty good baseball-only stadium that went through a major renovation in the late 90s. The other 3 stadiums you mentioned, are definitely obsolete, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
The first of the new stadiums to be replaced. Does this set the new standard for how quickly a stadium becomes obsolete? Kind of crazy.
I doubt it. The other new parks are still quite popular, aren't "outdated", and most state/local governments (except for Cobb Co. apparently) aren't going to be throwing $500M and up around on a team with a perfectly good ballpark and pretty much no leverage to move (where would a team go?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
Just looking over some of the previous ball-parks for teams that are now in "new" parks, it looks like 30-40 years of use is pretty normal.

Pirates (3 Rivers) - 30 years
Phillies (Veterans) - 31 years
Cardinals (Busch) - 39 years
Twins (baggie dome) - 27 years
Orioles (Memorial) - 37 years (though the park was there for 10 years before)
Braves (Fulton County) - 30 years
Brewers (County Stadium) - 37 years
Mets (Shea) - 44 years
Giants (Candlestick) - 40 years

While most of these were multi-purpose stadiums that were the cool new things when they were built and hated by the '90's, there is no reason to think that the shelf life of the newer stadiums isn't limited either, especially with how technology moves so much faster today.
Comparing the 60s/70s era ballparks to the post 1991 MLB ballparks is comparing apples and oranges IMO. Today's parks with their popular designs and popular downtown locations are nowhere near as outdated the multipurpose eyesores of the past. Plus, I think the era of state/local governments spending big bucks on insanely expensive ballparks is, with a few exceptions, over.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:13 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I doubt the Angels will be leaving Angels Stadium any time soon. They are quite successful there. It doesn't have the charm of the new retro parks, but it's a pretty good baseball-only stadium that went through a major renovation in the late 90s. The other 3 stadiums you mentioned, are definitely obsolete, though.
Yeah, I mean, you're probably right but also, if you'd had told me last week that the Braves would be building a new stadium to replace their 20-year-old ballpark, I'd have thought that was pretty crazy, too

All it takes is one crazy county or town to make something happen, and there's plenty of well-to-do enclaves in Southern California

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Sunday, August 4 - vs. Twins
Old 11-11-2013, 10:18 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yeah, I mean, you're probably right but also, if you'd had told me last week that the Braves would be building a new stadium to replace their 20-year-old ballpark, I'd have thought that was pretty crazy, too

All it takes is one crazy county or town to make something happen, and there's plenty of well-to-do enclaves in Southern California
Yeah, but even Orange County most likely doesn't have the money nowadays to pay for a new ballpark.

I thought Rembert Browne's article was good.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...ta-for-atlanta
Old 11-11-2013, 11:56 PM
New At WSI

Icon7 Hello Atlanta Rays

Tampa needs a new stadium; maybe they can be Atlanta's American League Franchise.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Anybody from Atlanta or the south that can explain the logistics behind this aside from season ticket statistics?

From what I've heard, public transportation is a non-factor in Atlanta. There isn't a MARTA spur near Turner to begin with so the fact that the new stadium will be 2 miles outside ATL city limits without a MARTA stop is irrelevant in comparison. But I want to know about the financial burden Turner field supposedly is. Does it need any of those aforementioned repairs? Would stripping every chair and replacing some of the lights really amount to $150 Million? That seems like a ridiculous overestimation to me. These stadiums are becoming disposable to the point where major overhaul is just as daunting as a change of scenery.

"Remember Abner"
Old 11-12-2013, 12:56 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleacherBandit View Post
Anybody from Atlanta or the south that can explain the logistics behind this aside from season ticket statistics?

From what I've heard, public transportation is a non-factor in Atlanta. There isn't a MARTA spur near Turner to begin with so the fact that the new stadium will be 2 miles outside ATL city limits without a MARTA stop is irrelevant in comparison. But I want to know about the financial burden Turner field supposedly is. Does it need any of those aforementioned repairs? Would stripping every chair and replacing some of the lights really amount to $150 Million? That seems like a ridiculous overestimation to me. These stadiums are becoming disposable to the point where major overhaul is just as daunting as a change of scenery.
This announcement came out of the blue, the stadium is all of 17 years old; Cobb County is giving them a ridiculous amount of money which they don't really have. I have a hard time believing the Braves' cost estimations to refurbish Turner Field.

As for the public transportation question, Cobb County does not currently and has not ever wanted MARTA, so I think that's a non-starter. Atlanta is one of the most car-dependent metro areas in the country. And while some cities are building out public transportation systems now (LA's subway expansion is a rather large one, while Denver is building a network of light rail lines), Atlanta is well behind other locales. A local option-sales tax to build out light rail circling the city failed (the Belt Line project is currently just a multi-use one for bikers, walkers, etc.).
Old 11-12-2013, 12:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/11/...f-turner-field

Old 11-12-2013, 12:28 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
Thank you! That was awesome.
Best line: "I bet they had only one Waffle House in here, I thought out loud to my self."
Old 11-12-2013, 12:54 PM
WSI Prelate

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/99...017-mayor-says
I suppose it's good to have a plan for the land, but it still seems like a major waste to put the wrecking ball to a park that still seems new (at least to me).
Old 11-12-2013, 02:58 PM
WSI Prelate

If you ever take a trip down to Cobb County, Georgia, you'd better read the signs, respect the law and order.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."