White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 04:31 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
For me it would be great as I only get to see them when they are on WGN or when they are playing the Rays and watch on SunSports.
The other thing I was thinking is that we might become relevant nationally, I'm not saying we would become America's team but maybe ESPN would realize there are 2 teams in MLB with Sox in their names. I'm tired of people when I meet them and tell them I'm originally from Chicago and the first thing they ask is if I'm a Cub fan.
Anybody outside of the Chicago market who wants to watch the Sox already can with MLB.tv, it makes absolutely zero sense for the team to throw away money by putting games on WGN.

The Sox got plenty of national pub when they were good. That's the solution here.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
I get what you're saying here, and I get the idea behind it, that another generation of kids will grow up White Sox fans like they did Cub fans when the Cubs were on the WGN when they were growing up..

But times are different now, kids have way more entertainment options then they used to, and I dont see kids coming home from school and sitting in front of the TV to watch White Sox baseball. With most cable packages carrying the MLB network, kids growing up who are big baseball fans are going to flock to the teams that are actually really good and have big stars. It's much easier to follow an out of market team now than it has ever been.

I wouldn't be against the Sox having more games on WGN simply because I think they have a better production than Comcast does. But as others have said in this thread I believe the Sox get more money from their Comcast deal than they would WGN.
Bingo! Between the way we follow sports today, plus video games, plus fantasy sports, it has become a league of stars. You don't root for the Angels, you root for Mike Trout. Sure you always have your hometown team, but kids are not flocking that way.

Plus, we need to address the 7 ton elephant in the room. Putting the Sox on WGN to draw new Sox fans will not do anything if those kids are subjected to Hawk Harrelson.

The Sox need to develop everyday stars. And no, they don't have 1. Sale is close, but until the Sox start winning, the national fan is not going to know him or care about him. Konerko, Buehrle, these cult hero types, if we want to be a major force of revenue, we need real stars. Not the 200 IP inning eater, or the guy who gave Jerry the ball, but household names.

This is a good move by the Cubs. WGN doesn't matter anymore, most people have Cable/Satellite. The only way we are gaining any marketshare in Illinois is going on a dominant run of winning baseball (and no, that isn't 83-86 win seasons) but consistent division titles, playoffs, a world series OR by growing/trading for/signing a couple superstars.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Anybody outside of the Chicago market who wants to watch the Sox already can with MLB.tv, it makes absolutely zero sense for the team to throw away money by putting games on WGN.

The Sox got plenty of national pub when they were good. That's the solution here.
Maybe you can float me a loan to get the MLB TV package, my Social Security increase is only going to be 1.5% for 2014. Actually Comcast in my area does not offer the MLB package and I don't want to watch games on my computer.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 11-06-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Maybe you can float me a loan to get the MLB TV package, my Social Security increase is only going to be 1.5% for 2014. Actually Comcast in my area does not offer the MLB package and I don't want to watch games on my computer.
I understand that and there a lot of people who think like you. That said, once your generation is gone, so will that attitude. Multi-platform is the way most people get their information now and that's not going away. If people want to fork up the dough to watch out-of-market games, they will. They won't care about price. They'll budget for it. That's where we're headed.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
I understand that and there a lot of people who think like you. That said, once your generation is gone, so will that attitude. Multi-platform is the way most people get their information now and that's not going away. If people want to fork up the dough to watch out-of-market games, they will. They won't care about price. They'll budget for it. That's where we're headed.
They won't be able to budget for it if they won't be able to afford it.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:43 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Oh my god, I give up. The Sox should obviously be catering their business to people who wittingly move 1,000 miles from Chicago and don't want to pay a dime or be inconvenienced in the slightest and still watch every single game.

While we're at it, maybe the team can drop the price of tickets to $1 for every seat, force every other team to trade us their best players, and have Free Beer Night 7 days a week. I'm sure that's totally reasonable.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:45 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
They won't be able to budget for it if they won't be able to afford it.
Well that's on Major League Baseball to price their product effectively, but I believe MLB.com is far and away the most profitable online presence of the 4 major North American sports so obviously they are doing it correctly.

Last edited by doublem23; 11-07-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:26 AM
WSI High Priest

Even though I'm an MLB.tv subscriber, my ongoing gripe is that I can't buy just Sox games a la carte. I don't doubt that MLB has crunched the numbers and concluded that it is not in their best interests to do so, but I still would rather have that option. If it was available, they probably would bring in subscribers that are otherwise turned off by the very idea of subscribing to watch games.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 11-07-2013, 10:19 AM
WSI High Priest

I'm guessing that the Cubs will still have games on WGN-TV after 2014. All they did hear was exercise their option on their contract. They'll probably be back at a higher fee for WGN.

The Cubs have a deal with CSN until 2019, but I wouldn't be surprised if they end their partnership with CSN and the other Chicago teams after that to start their own cable network.

Quote:
MLB.TV isn't just for computers. If you have a streaming device like a Roku, you can stream games to your TV in HD quality. The last two years, I got MLB.TV starting around mid-June through the rest of the season for $50 for the remainder of those seasons.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Even though I'm an MLB.tv subscriber, my ongoing gripe is that I can't buy just Sox games a la carte. I don't doubt that MLB has crunched the numbers and concluded that it is not in their best interests to do so, but I still would rather have that option. If it was available, they probably would bring in subscribers that are otherwise turned off by the very idea of subscribing to watch games.
$125 is still an absolute bargain for a full season of baseball...especially considering that the NBA packages offer half the games (plus more national TV blackouts) for a lot more.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
$125 is still an absolute bargain for a full season of baseball...especially considering that the NBA packages offer half the games (plus more national TV blackouts) for a lot more.
Some people object to the mere idea of subscribing to watch games, price notwithstanding. I've broken down and now subscribe every year, but I know some who just refuse to do it, especially having to buy all games and not having the option to buy games for just the teams they want.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:23 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

Not here. I'm in the blackout area, and I can't get CSN with my cable provider. WGN games are the only ones I can get.

For me, the solution is not putting more games on WGN. It's removing or at least revising the blackout restrictions so that I can get the games on EI or MLB.TV if I want. It pisses me off every season. I don't care as much when the team sucks, but in 2005, 2006, 2008, etc, I was forced to listen to games on my XM radio setup. It sucked.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Some people object to the mere idea of subscribing to watch games, price notwithstanding. I've broken down and now subscribe every year, but I know some who just refuse to do it, especially having to buy all games and not having the option to buy games for just the teams they want.
I used to get it some years, but in some places, it just doesn't work. My fiance lives out in the country, and there just isn't an internet service available there that has fast enough speeds to reasonably stream a game without paying through the nose.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
Not here. I'm in the blackout area, and I can't get CSN with my cable provider. WGN games are the only ones I can get.

For me, the solution is not putting more games on WGN. It's removing or at least revising the blackout restrictions so that I can get the games on EI or MLB.TV if I want. It pisses me off every season. I don't care as much when the team sucks, but in 2005, 2006, 2008, etc, I was forced to listen to games on my XM radio setup. It sucked.
Another important point. The blackout rules in some places are still a serious shortcoming of mlb.tv when it comes to people mentioning it as a TV broadcast replacement.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:37 AM
WSI High Priest

I absolutely hate that Sox games are blacked out to me on Saturday afternoons if they are being broadcast regionally in the Midwest by Fox. Makes no sense to me.