White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 07:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Whitesox top 10 Fantasy prospects

This list is just for fantasy purposes, but it's minor league list so I put it here instead of Fantasy island.

http://www.faketeams.com/2013/10/31/...s-erik-johnson

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 11-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Banned

Courtney Hawkins is giving Jared Mitchell a run for his money.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Courtney Hawkins is giving Jared Mitchell a run for his money.
You can't compare the two, one was a college junior the other a high schooler. The only similarities I see here is that they both play baseball and struggled in 2013...

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 11-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
You can't compare the two, one was a college junior the other a high schooler. The only similarities I see here is that they both play baseball and struggled in 2013...
Oh I just meant as being a hyped and busted first rounder. I know its still early on Hawkins, but the returns have been abysmal.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Oh I just meant as being a hyped and busted first rounder. I know its still early on Hawkins, but the returns have been abysmal.
Well, his first year was actually pretty damn good, but that unfortunately is what lead to him playing at a level too high. I'm very curious to see how he does when he repeats adv-A.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Hawkins was overmatched at WS. We will have to see what kind of adjustments he makes. Curveballs crushed him.
Mitchell's AFL performance offers some hope.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
Hawkins was overmatched at WS. We will have to see what kind of adjustments he makes. Curveballs crushed him.
Mitchell's AFL performance offers some hope.
How many years have we had Mitchell? Do we get to keep him one more year or is he rule 5 eligible?
Old 11-03-2013, 02:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
If he wasn't a first rounder, hitting .178 at age 19 would get him released.

Threatening to put someone on your ignore list is against board policy, FYI.
Corey Seager, the Dodgers first round pick in 2012, put up equally bad numbers last year in high A ball. Of course, Seager didn't start out the year in Cucamonga.

It's way too early to call Hawkins a bust but what is unnerving is that the White Sox have shown a consistent inability to develop young, raw talent like Hawkins. The Sox draft great athletes and just seem to hope that their athleticism will be good enough to get them through the minors to the majors. Sometimes we draft guys like Josh Fields who are talented enough to do well in the minors and get exposed in a big way in the majors, other times we get guys like Jared Mitchell (who didn't even play baseball full time until his junior year of high school).

Even though Hawkins was hitting well in rookie league, he still struck out five times for every walk and had a similar ratio in a limited stay in Kanny. That was going to be exploited and higher levels and will continue to be. But as Daver has frequently pointed out, the White Sox promote guys who can hit, other skills be damned.

Go Sox!!!
Old 11-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Corey Seager, the Dodgers first round pick in 2012, put up equally bad numbers last year in high A ball. Of course, Seager didn't start out the year in Cucamonga.

It's way too early to call Hawkins a bust but what is unnerving is that the White Sox have shown a consistent inability to develop young, raw talent like Hawkins. The Sox draft great athletes and just seem to hope that their athleticism will be good enough to get them through the minors to the majors. Sometimes we draft guys like Josh Fields who are talented enough to do well in the minors and get exposed in a big way in the majors, other times we get guys like Jared Mitchell (who didn't even play baseball full time until his junior year of high school).

Even though Hawkins was hitting well in rookie league, he still struck out five times for every walk and had a similar ratio in a limited stay in Kanny. That was going to be exploited and higher levels and will continue to be. But as Daver has frequently pointed out, the White Sox promote guys who can hit, other skills be damned.
I did actually say earlier in the thread that it was still early with Hawkins.

Food for thought: the link the thread is about admits there are divergent opinions on Hawkins, and even links to Baseball Prospectus, where they say Hawkins isn't even on the prospect radar.